• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is a Nils Lundkvist/Kirby Dach Trade an Option?

Phil

Elliotte Friedman reported a week ago that the Chicago Blackhawks may be shopping Kirby Dach. Dach, the 3rd overall pick in the 2019 draft (Kaapo Kakko went 2nd) is a 21 year old center who is still looking to take the next step in his development and career. The Rangers need a young, cost controlled center to fill out their middle six, and have defensemen to spare. Chicago has a defenseman need. Is there a Nils Lundkvist/Kirby Dach trade in the cards?

The Rangers need centers, and the Hawks need defensemen. Both teams have a surplus at these positions to trade, making it a natural match. That’s on paper, of course.

A Nils Lundkvist/Kirby Dach trade goes deeper than just prospect swaps that addresses positions of need for both teams. Both are pretty cheap too, with Lundkvist on his ELC and Dach about to his his second contract. His expected contract is around 2-3 years at $2.5 million, which is well within what the Rangers can afford to address their center need.

Where this may begin to fall apart is what each player is right now, and that is an unknown entity. Dach is coming off his best year, putting up 9-17-26 in 70 games while playing all around the lineup. He’s tremendously skilled, and a “big North American kid,” which we know both Chris Drury and Gerard Gallant love. He’s got a ton of raw potential but hasn’t put it together yet.

The Rangers are set at RD, but do have an opening on LD. Chicago is in need of RD, with just one (or two if you count Jake McCabe) signed to next season.

But this is still an unknown quantity for an unknown quantity. In theory, both players could use a change of scenery. Dach, for whatever reason, is being dangled. Lundkvist appears to be blocked. Seems like a no brainer, again on paper though.

https://blueseatblogs.com/2022/06/17/nils-lundkvist-kirby-dach-trade/

I had to go back and look. I had cozens higher on my draft board, but mentioned several times that Dach owned him that season, 3-0 or 3-1 head to head and put up more points.

id still like cozens over Dach, but I’m listening…

3 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

A defenseman who might never play for us for a center with lots of potential?

Makes no sense to me.

Not sure why Chicago would do a straight up deal though.

Dach has 1 more point than Kakko in 6 less games.

I'm interested from a potential perspective, but only if you're moving on from Chytil. I'd rather have a more proven option at 2C or 3C with some consistent scoring output, and as rmc mentioned, someone who can win faceoffs. I'm not sure the team needs more young blood that might not live up to expectations.

I'd do the deal in a heartbeat since it would give the Rangers some extra depth down the middle, and if it works out....great, if not it was a depth player for a depth player since Lundkqvist doesnt really have a spot here anyway.  Can possibly the type of Strome for Spooner type of deal.  

However, I can't see this being a 1:1 deal, Rangers would have to add something IMO.....Nemeth 😆

Edited by Blue Heaven

8 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Half retention plus they take Nemeth. Then we can talk about the rest of the pieces involved. Toews is a good stop-gap option at the right price for sure.

I still filter him through Arizona. They can take a ~3m cap hit and pay less than 1m in salary. @Phil brought up this option a while back. Makes sense 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

I’d do that in a heartbeat.

Hawks shouldn't though. Deal would have to be much bigger than that.

Dachs injury really set him back. As a part-time Hawks fan, they've been mismanaged for a while now. It's definitely time for a front office shake up. 

Edited by Pete

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Dachs injury really set him back. As a part-time Hawks fan, they've been mismanaged for a while now. It's definitely time for a front office shake up. 

I agree

But if we can fleece an inept front office, so be it

• Bullseye 1

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Agreed. If this is happening if feels like it needs to be part of a reset for the Hawks because they have other older players to move for young guys to rebuild on.

In other words, if they're doing this, it needs to be much bigger if only to mask the fact they'll be giving up on a 20-something-year-old center.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Agreed. If this is happening if feels like it needs to be part of a reset for the Hawks because they have other older players to move for young guys to rebuild on.

In other words, if they're doing this, it needs to be much bigger if only to mask the fact they'll be giving up on a 20-something-year-old center.

If this is actually a possibility, I’d certainly go higher than just Nils. Not astronomically higher, but significantly.