• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Let's Talk About Gerard Gallant

CK20

What are everyone’s feelings about GG? I think he is a good coach overall but he was definitely outcoached by Cooper and his decision to scratch Kakko and play a hobbled Strome are questionable to say the least…Strome was the weak link on tbe ice when Stamkos scored his first goal

13 minutes ago, CK20 said:

What are everyone’s feelings about GG? I think he is a good coach overall but he was definitely outcoached by Cooper and his decision to scratch Kakko and play a hobbled Strome are questionable to say the least…Strome was the weak link on tbe ice when Stamkos scored his first goal

The players love him and he motivates them for sure, but he's not a good coach. A 50 goal season from Krieder/great PP, and a Vezina season from Igor masked a lot of issues with the team.

I would not consider a team that can't score 5v5, gets next to nothing from it's youth, bleeds high danger chances against, to be "well coached".

You know there is going to be drop off next year, it's a question of how much. They can't just keep relying on Igor and the PP, or every season is going to end like this one did...And likely much sooner.

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Only so much you can really do when your best players go dead in game after game in the playoffs.Stamkos got 2 goals last night. Our offense appeared to be geared to having Ryan Lindgren(love him in his role) taking 55 foot wristers and slappers. Was that the coach's plan or players' execution? Has to be the latter, right? 

Over and over this season, this team appeared to lose focus right after goals, which bit them in the ass again last night. Not that hard, why wasn't that fixed? 

He is loyal to veterans. Which is where the Kakko/Strome thing hurt last night. Can't say that decision cost them the game, and we don't know if Drury had a say in that. But it was the wrong decision. Clear the organization really saw Strome as  an important player. There's his production, but there's been so many nights he simply didn't do much.

NYR were 2nd in GAA all season and spare the 2 Pens games were excellent in that in the playoffs. Big part was Igor. Hoping the defense gets better.

Offensively, way too dependent on the PP, and often displayed a complete lack of urgency 5 on 5, overpassing, pointless cycling, failing to get shots nor going to the net. Again though was that The Plan, or execution?    Has to be the latter. 

There is a lot to recommend GG, but we saw the flaws. But keeps coming back to a lot of the same issues we saw under Quinn. Panarin is not gonna turn into a hard-nosed go to the net slot-shooting winger any time soon. Team still has nights where they act like shooting and scoring aren't their focus. Got even worse as the playoffs wore on; Pens, Canes and Bolts were only too happy to let them stay outside, passing around the perimeter, waiting for an errant pass or an outside shot. THAT HAS TO CHANGE.

Edited by Bugg
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

The decision to play Strome over Kakko was mind blowing when you saw how hurt Strome was. 

The team not shooting ... At some point a coach is going to have to come in and say "if you're not going to shoot the puck, then you're not going to play", and start adjusting ice time accordingly. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

I think out-coached is being thrown around a bit too liberally here. 

strome is a superior player to Kakko at this stage and hurt or not you put your best top 6 team in for an elimination game. They clearly needed some fresh legs. He took a gamble and it didn’t really pay off. If he did nothing the argument would be that he didn’t adjust. 

In the end I think this team was just too tired to go into that extra gear. You can’t put that all on gallant. 

• Like 3
  • Bullseye 2
  • Cheers 1

They are an utterly inferior 5v5 team against every opponent. Gallant not being Xs and Os is passable, but flawed, and arguably cost them a Cup appearance because his teams get assaulted, and stretched to the max, having to go a full seven game stretch in both prior series, and would have had to have gone a full seven to win this one, too. 

That is absolutely coaching. This roster isn't so inadequate that they can't be better 5v5 players if they played a more structured game that doesn't bleed attempts and shots against in the hopes to counter punch their way to victory while relying on Vezina goaltending every night.

He's AV, but likeable.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

Blowing up the lines the way he did made no sense to me. They had a chance to win every game except 4, and were getting some chances. Plus, they somehow found a way to win in the previous 2 series just when they looked dead in the water.

They came out totally disjointed and demoralized in period 1 yesterday - and im pretty sure having there lines blown up - the linemates they fought and clawed with the last bunch of weeks- had something to do with that. And the one line you leave in tact is Strome-Panarin who have probably been the biggest disappointment throughout the playoffs? And on top of that to suddenly be all salty when asked about benching kakko etc.? Makes me wonder if some direction came down from up high.

Edited by Jdog99
  • VINNY! 1

I don't have an issue with dressing Strome if Strome was adamant he could play.  I don't see how sitting Kakko for Hunt makes any sense though.  Kakko was 1/3rd of the best line they had all playoffs.  Kakko is supposed to be a huge part of the future of this team.  These playoffs were always supposed to be about learning lessons for this young team.  Of course you want to win and put the best team on the ice.  However can anyone really see a tangible upgrade by dressing Hunt?  If I'm Kakko I don't even hesitate signing an offer sheet at this point.  

Fact of the matter this team has very little structure defensively or offensively.  There is no sustained forecheck ever.  I believe the Rangers were near the top of the league in allowing high danger chances.

The Rangers defied all analytics this year with their success.  GG has to get some credit for their season.  However so many things went right this year, CK50, Igor, and the pp being the main things.  Hard to believe CK scores 50 the next 2 years combined.  Igor can't stay at this ungodly level forever can he?  He will no doubt be good but this year was historic in goalie terms.  The power play should remain effective but at some point Laf, Kakko, and Chytil need some time there and the first unit can't take all 2 minutes.  Lastly the Rangers avoided major injuries all year as well. 

I thought GG was outcoached in every series to be honest.  The Rangers probably don't win either series if not for backup goalies.  The Tampa series they were outcoached just as AV was in 2015.  The Rangers seemingly could not generate any scoring chances.  It's not a lack of talent, so what is it?

Edited by Capt
  • Keeps it 100 1

48 minutes ago, siddious said:

I think out-coached is being thrown around a bit too liberally here. 

strome is a superior player to Kakko at this stage and hurt or not you put your best top 6 team in for an elimination game. They clearly needed some fresh legs. He took a gamble and it didn’t really pay off. If he did nothing the argument would be that he didn’t adjust. 

In the end I think this team was just too tired to go into that extra gear. You can’t put that all on gallant. 

I'm sorry but you do not play an injured player who can barely skate over a completely healthy player in an elimination game. There is absolutely no excuse for it. 

The kid line shouldn't have been disturbed. I don't know whether they just burned a bridge with Kakko or this will be a wake up call for him, but it was not the right move to play hurt Strome and Hunt over Kakko. 

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 4

He's fantastic. Yells at Refs, backs up his boys, allows after whistle shenanigans, and retribution is on the menu.

I find talk of being "obviously being out coached" pretty funny. I haven't seen an example put forth other than dressing Strome, and we don't know the story, or what he was told by Strome and Staff. Gerard Gallant is not watching a pregame warmup.

I think the way the Rangers play is indicative of the personnel they employ. Tough to pretend we can put the same 6 D out there that Tampa can. Not sure any of our D men would even crack their top 5, outside of Fox. 

Anyways, important to keep in mind that "systems" and Xs and Os" in hockey aren't complicated. A PJHL coach could insert a system in an afternoon, but does that system maximize the talents of your roster? Whose to say the game their playing now, doesn't do this? You want 5v5 success? Get players that excel at that. Stop pretending Frank Vatrano, Dryden Hunt, and Kevin Rroney are solutions, and get better players.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

14 minutes ago, Dunny said:

He's fantastic. Yells at Refs, backs up his boys, allows after whistle shenanigans, and retribution is on the menu.

I find talk of being "obviously being out coached" pretty funny. I haven't seen an example put forth other than dressing Strome, and we don't know the story, or what he was told by Strome and Staff. Gerard Gallant is not watching a pregame warmup.

I think the way the Rangers play is indicative of the personnel they employ. Tough to pretend we can put the same 6 D out there that Tampa can. Not sure any of our D men would even crack their top 5, outside of Fox. 

Anyways, important to keep in mind that "systems" and Xs and Os" in hockey aren't complicated. A PJHL coach could insert a system in an afternoon, but does that system maximize the talents of your roster? Whose to say the game their playing now, doesn't do this? You want 5v5 success? Get players that excel at that. Stop pretending Frank Vatrano, Dryden Hunt, and Kevin Rroney are solutions, and get better players.

It’s really not hyperbole. He blew the personnel decision last night and failed to make any lineup adjustments at all that had any meaning.

cooper shut down Mika’s line with a new checking line after game 2 and swapped from 11/7 to 12/6 after our forward depth outplayed theirs in the first two games. He got outcoached. 

still love him and his personality tho but let’s not pretend like this has little impact on the series. It was a big part of it

• Keeps it 100 1

He got out coached because Cooper corrected his own mistake of hilariously dressing 7 D, and then it was his fault he needed to add some spice and was staring Dryden Hunt or Julien Gauthier in the face. LMAO.

Good to know those are the examples you're basing it on, I guess. 

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

You haven't seen an example because you're not paying attention. This guy doesn't adjust in game, doesn't use timeouts or challenges effectively, and the team is largely lost in their own zone. He can't get his guys freed up on the road and therefore the team was totally inept when he doesn't get last change. 

These were all major indictments for Quinn, but because Gallant is a Hockey Man™ and rara guy, it gets overlooked even though this year it was clear he had absolutely nothing to do with why they won so much. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

I don't care much about the Kakko/Strome thing. I think it's being blown out of proportion. Kakko wasn't changing anything out there. I do think at times during this playoff run it felt like there was a bit too much unwillingness to mix things up to try to get Panarin and really all of the guys on the 2nd line going a little more. Everyone was raving about the kid line, but did they get increased amounts of ice time? Or were they still watching the Panarin line struggle for 18-20 a night? This is all hindsight and not even 20/20 hindsight because none of it was guaranteed to change anything. But it might have. There's valid critiques here, but it doesn't override the season he had coaching here or my optimism for him as coach next year and beyond. It does pain me that Trotz is available though.

By the way, I don't see how anyone could possibly lump Vatrano in with Hunt and Rooney when talking about needing better players. Frank was terrific for this team. To think he wasn't suggests the expectations were totally unrealistic for what he was brought here to do.

• Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, Pete said:

You haven't seen an example because you're not paying attention. This guy doesn't adjust in game, doesn't use timeouts or challenges effectively, and the team is largely lost in their own zone.

These were all major indictments for Quinn, but because Gallant is a Hockey Man™ and rara guy, it gets overlooked even though this year it was clear he had absolutely nothing to do with why they won so much. 

Thought the failure to call a timeout bf the 4 minute power play was a huge mistake. At least 2  times this playoffs he did that in such a situation and it worked both times. But who knows if in the same timeout Bolts might have had a bit of a benefit as well. 

Again, there's only so much you can do with the talent on hand. You cannot jam round peg finesse Panarin into a square space power forward. Have the same problems Quinn had. While he isn't an NHL coach, again, how do you fit this collection of players, many of them pass first perimeter guys rather than front of the net shooters,  into a hard-working north/south playoff juggernaut? We're faulting really Gorton's roster construction. Get the sense Drury knows as much based on the players he signed and traded for at the deadline. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I'm really unhappy about the Kakko benching.  He had a number of excellent games and a number of poor ones, but even latter were no worse than you would get out of Hunt.  The kid line deserved to be kept intact.  I hate leaving this kid chewing on this all summer long.

What is Gallant's forechecking system?  What is his strategy for efficiently clearing the defensive zone?  Do his teams always ice the puck four times more often than the opposition does?  Are we going to sign a UFA punter given our predilection for lofting the puck into the neutral zone as a clearing method (which assures another extended defensive zone sequence seconds later).

All that said, if the Rangers and Bolts had both been coming off a 5-6 game series and both had 3-4 days rest, things might well have been different.

• VINNY! 1

I don’t mean this as a knock on David Quinn whatsoever, but I think it meant a lot to this group to have an experienced guy behind the bench. It’s similar to the Mets right now. You hear all the praise that Showalters getting. Sometimes for a group, having a guy that has that experience back there pressing the right buttons helps.

I loved the hire. Still do. Across 82 games and 20 playoff games, obviously the fans will not agree with every single decision made; just logic. But all in all, Gallant is who I wanted and I’m happy he’s here. I think he’s the right man for the job. And his first year truly couldn’t go much better. 

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 2

I think Gallant did a great job this year.  Yeah, he made some mistakes.  All coaches do at one time or another.  His hands were a bit tied with the lack of depth.  Had Hunt, Gauthier, Nemeth, (insert name here), not sucked, he would have had better options available. 

We replace those guys with some quality depth, with the core we have, I think we can go far.