• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Lightning Round Three — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

7 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Four year "intermediary" bridge deals would hold them over until Trouba's and Panarin's contracts end. Something to consider. 

Wouldn’t that make both UFAs at the end of those contracts, 7 years of service (3 yr ELC + 4 year bridge)? I can’t remember if they also need to be 27 years old or not in order to be UFA.

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

Wouldn’t that make both UFAs at the end of those contracts, 7 years of service (3 yr ELC + 4 year bridge)? I can’t remember if they also need to be 27 years old or not in order to be UFA.

7 years or 27 years old, so yeah, that'd make them both UFAs and thus would be entirely off the table, I'd guess.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

I wrote a long post, but just deleted it because you have your opinion and no one is going to change it. I'll just say that you, like most fans, have an unrealistic expectations of athletes sometimes. They're human too. I'll just leave it at that.

What's that even supposed to mean? No, I'm not gonna change my mind about that open net miss or Strome's horrible PO's. And I don't really think you have an argument against it.

And trust me, I know they're humans. I don't see how that's relevant tho. I'm mad because he missed an open net. Is that too much expectations to put on a professional hockey player? Or wanting him to play at a level he's shown he can? 2 goals in 18 games is not good enough and that has nothing to do with any unrealistic expectations.

You're the first to tell us all to shove it when ever he does something and you're the first to tell us how little we know when we criticize him. Come on man. You need to be able to take it aswell.

36 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Players miss chances all the time. The issue is that the play was the only chance. That's a team issue more than a Strome issue. They should be generating more offense and scoring chances. It shouldn't be down to one play that needs to go perfectly.

Shit, that sounds like Mikel Arteta and Arsenal. @LindG1000 they really are parallel teams. 

Correct. Because they're a shitty, below average 5v5 team.

Just now, Phil said:

Correct. Because they're a shitty, below average 5v5 team.

Yup. It’s hard to separate small details from big picture, especially after an emotional loss. But this is what needs to be fixed and we can’t do it in 48 hours. Need to continue to evolve the roster and staff. 

8 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

What's that even supposed to mean? No, I'm not gonna change my mind about that open net miss or Strome's horrible PO's. And I don't really think you have an argument against it.

And trust me, I know they're humans. I don't see how that's relevant tho. I'm mad because he missed an open net. Is that too much expectations to put on a professional hockey player? Or wanting him to play at a level he's shown he can? 2 goals in 18 games is not good enough and that has nothing to do with any unrealistic expectations.

You're the first to tell us all to shove it when ever he does something and you're the first to tell us how little we know when we criticize him. Come on man. You need to be able to take it aswell.

I just don't agree with your entire POV so I'm not wasting my time discussing it further, is all.

38 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I’d like to see him re-signed, but even if they wanted to I don’t see how it works out in Summer ‘23 at this point. Lafreniere and Miller need to be signed long term rather than bridged at that point, which is going to cost a lot more cap in the short term in order to save cap long term. That’s a relatively new development. I was thinking 2 year bridge type deals 3-4 months ago. Not anymore. Lock ‘em up.

If it means getting them at a reduced number, then yes. If it means "buying" the potential, no.

Lafreniere has found another gear, but he's still producing like a 30-40 point player. I'm not giving him $7 million because that's what he'll maybe be worth two years from now. The price never goes down with these types of players, but this is still a dangerous game to play — one the Rangers have been burned on directly with Skjei not too long ago. I wonder how happy Philly is dropping the bag on Provorov?

I'm full Lamoriello here: "If you have time, use it."

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Pete said:

I just don't agree with your entire POV so I'm not wasting my time discussing it further, is all.

Because you've gone too far with the "protect Strome" thing and you know there's no coming back from how brutal he's been this post-season? I understand. We can drop it and soon we'll all forget about him.

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Because you've gone too far with the "protect Strome" thing and you know there's no coming back from how brutal he's been this post-season? I understand. We can drop it and soon we'll all forget about him.

Cool, glad you got it out of your system. I hope you feel better now.

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

If it means getting them at a reduced number, then yes. If it means "buying" the potential, no.

Lafreniere has found another gear, but he's still producing like a 30-40 point player. I'm not giving him $7 million because that's what he'll maybe be worth two years from now. The price never goes down with these types of players, but this is still a dangerous game to play — one the Rangers have been burned on directly with Skjei not too long ago. I wonder how happy Philly is dropping the bag on Provorov?

I'm full Lamoriello here: "If you have time, use it."

Yeah I mean I get that. Comes down to eye test and educated gambles. Jack Hughes wasn’t producing that much even with top line minutes. But he passed the eye test and NJ gambled correctly.

Miller passes the eye test and he’s a good 2nd pairing already. He’s the easiest one to lock up long term out of the bunch.

Lafreniere is in the Hughes boat for me. He’s been passing the eye test for months now. I would consider extending him before next season even hits, especially if they plan on elevating his role which would equal more production.

Kakko doesn’t pass the eye test nor does he produce enough. This is the type you bridge (or trade).

Edited by rmc51

No, Hughes broke out big in an injury-riddled year, so no one realized it much, because of that, and the fact the Devils are fucking horrible.

He had 31 points in 56 games for one of the worst offensive teams in the entire league. Went from 0.3 PP/GP to 0.6 and was showing real flashes that justified the investment because he was passing both the eye test and the analytics scrutiny.

Lafreniere is only now starting to do that. I'm not saying don't sign him, I'm saying I'm not sure what exactly he is just yet, so I'm a little wary of the idea of giving him a high danger zone deal just yet. Especially when he doesn't need to be signed until next summer. If he comes out like gangbusters, I'm game to start talking extension in January, but now? No way.

I do agree overall, though — he and Miller look so much more like the real deal compared to Kakko.

10 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Yeah I mean I get that. Comes down to eye test and educated gambles. Jack Hughes wasn’t producing that much even with top line minutes. But he passed the eye test and NJ gambled correctly.

Miller passes the eye test and he’s a good 2nd pairing already. He’s the easiest one to lock up long term out of the bunch.

Lafreniere is in the Hughes boat for me. He’s been passing the eye test for months now. I would consider extending him before next season even hits, especially if they plan on elevating his role which would equal more production.

Kakko doesn’t pass the eye test nor does he produce enough. This is the type you bridge (or trade).

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

No, Hughes broke out big in an injury-riddled year, so no one realized it much, because of that, and the fact the Devils are fucking horrible.

He had 31 points in 56 games for one of the worst offensive teams in the entire league. Went from 0.3 PP/GP to 0.6 and was showing real flashes that justified the investment because he was passing both the eye test and the analytics scrutiny.

Lafreniere is only now starting to do that. I'm not saying don't sign him, I'm saying I'm not sure what exactly he is just yet, so I'm a little wary of the idea of giving him a high danger zone deal just yet. Especially when he doesn't need to be signed until next summer. If he comes out like gangbusters, I'm game to start talking extension in January, but now? No way.

I do agree overall, though — he and Miller look so much more like the real deal compared to Kakko.

Kakko to me feels like he just needs chemistry his play with and without the puck is actually fine, but when the puck leaves his stick it's not always going to a teammate, if you know what I mean. It's like he has an idea of where he wants to put the puck, and it's into open ice, but there's not always a Ranger there...So it results in a giveaway or a 50/50 puck.

He has shown some nice hands, decent shot, skating is better. There's a "there" there now with him, not as much as Laf tho.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Lafreniere has 28 in his last 54 games (playoffs included) averaging under 15 minutes a night and little PP time, and has looked great doing it while carrying the responsibility of not fucking up in big games. Hughes' 31 in 56 was with 19 minutes a night and top PP time, without having to give a shit about winning or losing.

But I digress. There will be plenty of time to dig in this offseason.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

It's easy to be angry at Strome (especially for those who have always been mad at him for whatever reason), but I feel awful for Strome. That's the kind of play that can haunt/ruin the rest of your career. Gary Galley was on SXMNHL this morning talking about what missing an open net did to Glenn Wesley, and what he went through.

Anyone who's ever competed at any level really should have some empathy. Most fans won't, but most fans aren't athletes.

Fair enough. Im not angry at the person or even the player. I just think it confirms (on top of his overall shit performance the entire playoffs and parts of the season) that he's not the answer at 2C.

Panarin was near the top of his game last night, but centering him was just a scrub.

1 minute ago, Jdog99 said:

Fair enough. Im not angry at the person or even the player. I just think it confirms (on top of his overall shit performance the entire playoffs and parts of the season) that he's not the answer at 2C.

Panarin was near the top of his game last night, but centering him was just a scrub.

A scrub or a player who's playing through an injury? Depends on the personal bias, I suppose.

The Rangers can't afford to pay him, so it doesn't matter if you think he's the answer at 2C or not.

What I'll say is, if you think you're getting better production than what he gave, for less money than you want to pay him, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Kakko to me feels like he just needs chemistry his play with and without the puck is actually fine, but when the puck leaves his stick it's not always going to a teammate, if you know what I mean. It's like he has an idea of where he wants to put the puck, and it's into open ice, but there's not always a Ranger there...So it results in a giveaway or a 50/50 puck.

He has shown some nice hands, decent shot, skating is better. There's a "there" there now with him, not as much as Laf tho.

I can agree with that on Kakko. Nice hands, challenges puck carriers pretty well, and in general if there's a loose puck along the walls I kind of like his chances coming away with it. I certainly don't dislike him. He's a fine player. Just don't know whether he's a 3rd liner or a 60 point 2 way top 6 player, and don't see him likely to be one or the other. It's closer to a coin flip to what he will be than what I think Laf will be.

5 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

This team does its best when its pushed against a wall. No Quit. We've just needed one road win per series thus far. why not again.

This is their biggest test thus far. Playing Tampa Bay on the road in an elimination game where they're basically unbeatable. Heck, almost all of their wins are shutouts.

yeah Im sure ESPN will mention Vasy's stats in elimnation games (I believe 6 shutouts in 7 games with the 7th being a 1 goal allowed) in the past couple of seasons.

and we've struggle to score the last couple of games. It all doesn't look great. Every reason to doubt we're back in NY for a game 7. 

But I won't lie, I gave up on this team in the Pitt series. Not gonna make that mistake again. 

• VINNY! 1
  • Believe 1

Just now, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

yeah Im sure ESPN will mention Vasy's stats in elimnation games (I believe 6 shutouts in 7 games with the 7th being a 1 goal allowed) in the past couple of seasons.

and we've struggle to score the last couple of games. It all doesn't look great. Every reason to doubt we're back in NY for a game 7. 

But I won't lie, I gave up on this team in the Pitt series. Not gonna make that mistake again. 

Last 7 elimination games for TB:

2-0

2-1

1-0

1-0

2-0

4-0

2-0

They really buckle down when they got a team on the ropes.  Now the Rangers have come back from 3-1 vs. the Pens, 3-2 vs. the Canes, ended the Canes streak of 7 home wins in a row, TB lost 2 in a row in the playoffs for the first time in forever.....so lets break another streak.....BELIEVE!!!!!

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 3

1 minute ago, Blue Heaven said:

Last 7 elimination games for TB:

2-0

2-1

1-0

1-0

2-0

4-0

2-0

They really buckle down when they got a team on the ropes.  Now the Rangers have come back from 3-1 vs. the Pens, 3-2 vs. the Canes, ended the Canes streak of 7 home wins in a row, TB lost 2 in a row in the playoffs for the first time in forever.....so lets break another streak.....BELIEVE!!!!!

GG says "They didn't play 7 elimination games against us."

• Believe 1

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

The guy I keep coming back to when I see Kakko play, both in style and contract, is Nichushkin. I'm not sure he's ever going to be a guy you invest in long-term. There's not enough there there to justify it. Even though he's a good, reliable player. If Palat is a poor man's Hossa, Kakko is a poor man's Palat.

18 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Lafreniere has 28 in his last 54 games (playoffs included) averaging under 15 minutes a night and little PP time, and has looked great doing it while carrying the responsibility of not fucking up in big games. Hughes' 31 in 56 was with 19 minutes a night and top PP time, without having to give a shit about winning or losing.

But I digress. There will be plenty of time to dig in this offseason.

What excites me most with him is his ES scoring. Something the team desperately needs more of. The other factor is that Hughes is a center, which very much matters (you pay your centers).

I do agree, though — let's put a pin in this one. It's a really interesting thread for the moment they're not playing games anymore. I'm counting on you to bring it up again.

I also love that Laf is getting more involved with the after-whistle scrums, chirping guys, getting in the mix. He's not a timid young rookie anymore. He wants to be a part of the action. I think something that's been pretty common with a lot of these younger players is, they have been waiting for the play to come to them, waiting for the opportunities to present themselves, etc. 

Fuck that, go out there and fucking want it. Chytil and Laf are starting to do that a lot more. I think Kakko isn't gonna be too much farther behind.