• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why Didn't Gallant Call Timeout?

jsm7302

No really.....does the staff ever utilize them and ever in a fashion to change the momentum of a game?

Saving it just in case the team takes a shitty icing at the end of the game? I dont get the mentality. A timeout with some emphatic coaching could do wonders at certain points during a game.

Just pass it on to Gallant. That is all. Thank you!

• Phil changed the title to Why Didn't Gallant Call Timeout?
3 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I agree, but no teams does it unless they let in 3 goals in 2 minutes.

You also need your timeout to make coaches challenge (I think), so that may be why teams are so hesitant to using it.

That makes sense but I didn't realize it. I think this is akin to pulling your goalie with 5 min to go when down by 2 goals or so; one coach can change a trend. This just seems so obvious. 

I mean, yes, most teams only use it in the event of a challenge or an avalanche of goals, but what happened in that third period was the essence of an avalanche of goals, or certainly the seeds of what should have been.

Those spikes in the third are basically 90 degree inclines. Fucking insane. Would a timeout have helped? Maybe. But anything other than sticking their heads between their legs and praying for the game to end would have been a better strategy.

• LMFAO 1

1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

That makes sense but I didn't realize it. I think this is akin to pulling your goalie with 5 min to go when down by 2 goals or so; one coach can change a trend. This just seems so obvious. 

Yeah I agree. Especially last night after all the Canes pressure and Kakko's miss. It was like 7-8 minutes left, the crowd was going crazy and puck was in our zone all the time. A timeout there would be a good idea.

I also think every goal is automatic reviewed in the last 5 minutes, so calling the timeout with <10 minutes remaining shouldn't really be a problem.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, siddious said:

My guess is he feels he gets whatever needs to be said, said during the tv time outs. But yea he has to find a way to settle this team down when it starts getting on its heels like that.

I thought about tv timeouts too but that isn't interupting the game flow unexpectedly.  Gotta shake things up when it looks like a 20 minute powerplay in the third.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I'm not gonna go crazy over timeouts in that one.  Maybe it would've helped, who knows?  But we had a few GLORIOUS chances to score, that fell by the way-side.  Most of all, Kakko's chance with the open net;  that HAS to go in!

The kids and especially Yukon were great last night, and even though he gagged on the open net, Kakko played well too....but we have to cash in on our opportunities.

Shit happens!  No use in belly-aching over it, though.  Fuck it!  Game 2 tomorrow and we'll be better for it! 
All we need is a split down there, and we got what we came for! 

• Cheers 2

Wasn't there at least one, maybe more two minutes timeout(s) in the third period? If that didn't help, it is doubtful that the 30 seconds timeout would have helped. @RJWantsTheCup is correct, no timeouts after icing since 2017-2018.

Also @Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc...

The coach's challenge isn't limited by the availability of the timeout since 2019-2020 season. It is limited what the coach can challenge and if it is lost, there's a two minutes penalty assessed.

PS: Yes, I was curious and looked it up...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Doubt a timeout would have made a difference. We had a full 15 minute timeout before OT, and it looked like the Canes were pretty much going to be dominating the rest of the way out if they didn't finish it.

Truth is, I'd be pretty concerned we barely see anything close to the first two periods of last night, and the Canes continue to dominate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I agree, but no teams does it unless they let in 3 goals in 2 minutes.

You also need your timeout to make coaches challenge (I think), so that may be why teams are so hesitant to using it.

I think that’s the old rule. Once they replaced it with a penalty for an unsuccessful challenge , I don’t think you need the timeout anymore. 

31 minutes ago, Cr00zng said:

Wasn't there at least one, maybe more two minutes timeout(s) in the third period? If that didn't help, it is doubtful that the 30 seconds timeout would have helped. @RJWantsTheCup is correct, no timeouts after icing since 2017-2018.

Also @Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc...

The coach's challenge isn't limited by the availability of the timeout since 2019-2020 season. It is limited what the coach can challenge and if it is lost, there's a two minutes penalty assessed.

PS: Yes, I was curious and looked it up...

Oh shit, didn’t see your reply. Confirmed I guess if you looked it up. Thanks for doing the leg work 

Last night there were no stoppages from about 14 minutes left to 9 minutes.  There was thus a backlog of two TV timeouts and another one coming shortly after that.  In fact, I think the game did slow down a bit amidst those repeated TV timeouts.  

A time out would have given Panarin a chance to take another hit of Nyquil and thus proved counterproductive.