• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Can/Will the Pens Keep Their Core Together?

Phil

they can, I don’t think they should. 

they’re in a weird spot. They are too old. They almost might as well give it a go for 3 more years. 

I think they should let Malkin walk, Re-sign Letang, target JT Miller at half and I said before, I think Strome would look great next to Crosby. Get Miller and Strome for what Malkin would cost. 

1 minute ago, josh said:

they’re in a weird spot. They are too old. They almost might as well give it a go for 3 more years. 

I think they should let Malkin walk, Re-sign Letang, target JT Miller at half and I said before, I think Strome would look great next to Crosby. Get Miller and Strome for what Malkin would cost. 

Def resign Letang and let Malkin go. That would be my play in their shoes.

• Phil changed the title to Can/Will the Pens Keep Their Core Together?
14 hours ago, josh said:

Agree completely on Strome. Dunno that they can swing Miller, too.

Malkin is a total injury liability anyway, so whatever they pay him they can save in LTIR. He's played 74 of 138 regular season games between the past two seasons. He's also put up 70 points in those 74 games. A p/g player isn't making $5mil on the open market. 

Letang on the other hand has missed very few games, playing 133 out of 138 games over the past two seasons. He's also put up 113 points in that time frame, which puts him towards the top of producers from the blue line.

These are definitely low ball offers for their market value. 

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Keeps it 100 1

They have 30m in cap space. They probably retain all three on 2 year deals. That leaves them in that offseason to make a decision going into Sids final year depending on where they are as to whether to go a different direction or one last try before Sid retires. 

20 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Malkin is a total injury liability anyway, so whatever they pay him they can save in LTIR. He's played 74 of 138 regular season games between the past two seasons. He's also put up 70 points in those 74 games. A p/g player isn't making $5mil on the open market. 

Letang on the other hand has missed very few games, playing 133 out of 138 games over the past two seasons. He's also put up 113 points in that time frame, which puts him towards the top of producers from the blue line.

These are definitely low ball offers for their market value. 

They want to stay with Sid and be competitive? 15 mil/3 years in the twilight of a career.....  Cmon.. .... Sid can go pound sand. I guess they will see where their priorities lie. These guys have made a TON of $$ in their careers:

Letang: about 74 mil (before taxes etc.)

Malkin: about 131 mil (before taxes etc.)

*** Cue Chris Pronger to point out these guys probably made less than half of that amount as take home***** haha

34 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

They want to stay with Sid and be competitive? 15 mil/3 years in the twilight of a career.....  Cmon.. .... Sid can go pound sand. I guess they will see where their priorities lie. These guys have made a TON of $$ in their careers:

Letang: about 74 mil (before taxes etc.)

Malkin: about 131 mil (before taxes etc.)

*** Cue Chris Pronger to point out these guys probably made less than half of that amount as take home***** haha

If I had the opportunity to max out my income during a career that I won't be able to do forever, I'd take as much money as I could. It definitely doesn't matter to Sid, he's taken the same $8.7mil AAV since his ELC expired because of his birthday obsession. But I don't think it's unreasonable for a player to demand their market value. $5mil AAV for either of these guys is probably 60-70% of what they'd get. We're not talking missing out on $20k. 

2 hours ago, siddious said:

Give me $1mil and I’ll go get a barzal jersey right now… and the rangers are like 1/2 of my personality 

OK... That's you. If this guy saying he wants to retire in pittsburgh, there is no way he is going to a rival in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

OK... That's you. If this guy saying he wants to retire in pittsburgh, there is no way he is going to a rival in my opinion. 

Hank said the same thing.

my point is that it’s not always so straightforward obviously. I’m sure he would love to play with ovi. 

I’ll be the first to eat a bit of crow: Pittsburgh was a lot better than I expected. I really did think that, even given their last dance narrative and all of their experience, that we would step on their throats early and often. This series proved that Crosby is still an absolute monster.

That being said, and even though he did appear on the scoresheet a few times in this series, Malkin just isn’t close to what he once was. There was a time where I feared him more than Sid; in big games especially. And that isn’t a knock on Sid as much as it’s a compliment to Malkin. He seemed to always be a bull in a China shop. But now? Whether it be recovering from injury or age or lack of interest, he just isn’t close to the threat he once was. If I’m Pittsburgh, and I can keep either Letang or Malkin, I’d probably go Letang. 

Letang for three years remains a good investment, but it would take significantly more than 5m per.  Malkin has been spotty for years.  No way.

I anxiously await time in the wilderness for this franchise.  They lucked out when they happened to have No. 1 picks when generational talents, Mario and Sid, were available.  They got five cups out of that.  Now, go to the back of the line! 

8 hours ago, siddious said:

Hank said the same thing.

my point is that it’s not always so straightforward obviously. I’m sure he would love to play with ovi. 

Malkin isn't being bought out. There's a lot more nuance than one would think.