• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Better Call Saul

Final Season 6 starts tonight on AMC, AMC+, and Netflix (in Europe)

I started watching this show a couple of weeks ago (Seasons 1-5 are on Netflix) and I'm glad I did, but I am ashamed I waited so long. I was a huge fan of Breaking Bad and I never gave Better Call Saul a chance for some reason. Plus, I heard plenty of people say BCS was better than BB, and I couldn't imagine how. Well, now that I'm nearly done with Season 5, I think I'm leaning that way as well. BCS is way better than it has any business being. The characters in BCS have so much depth and the story is extremely compelling. Like BB, it does start a little slow. But things really ramp up each season, and, to me, that's the mark of a good show - getting better every season.

I should be caught up by the end of this week and I can't wait to watch Season 6.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• Phil changed the title to Better Call Saul

Spoilers for those that haven’t seen either BB or BCS

Spoiler

I could see why folks like it more than BB. I don’t think it’s better (at this moment), but I have been shocked that it is even justifiably in the conversation. I usually hate prequel type stuff since you kind of know how it ends. Well guess what? Saul’s story lives on after BB’s ending, and I really hope they go further that direction. We need more closure to “what happened to Saul?”.  This series isn’t over yet and there is room for it to overtake BB in my book, but not yet. It is getting closer though. Amazing.

Walter’s story instantly captured the heart strings from the first episode. Terminal cancer-stricken man looking to try and leave financial freedom behind to his family. Easy to get wrapped up. Then he morphed into a willing “bad guy” who was overtaken by pride and power. Saul’s journey is different, and it takes some more time than Walter’s story to capture the heart strings, but eventually it does happen. You genuinely feel so sorry for him on many occasions. If there is anything worse than a terminal illness story line, being brazenly and continuously belittled and betrayed at such a profound level by your own brother who you care for deeply just might take the cake. Saul does some sketchy shit by choice, but nothing to the degree that Walter began to do. He is much more of a story of a man who is stuck doing stuff he doesn’t want to do. The feeling I’ve gathered is he would like a way out, to just make it stop…unlike Walter, who wanted to and willingly dug in deeper than he had to. It really is fascinating coverage of “two guys in deep with bad”, yet they react so differently when facing the “bad”. Tremendous writing.

• Bullseye 1

On 4/19/2022 at 9:25 AM, rmc51 said:

Spoilers for those that haven’t seen either BB or BCS

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I think Walter and Saul are more alike in their motivations than you think. As far as we know, Walter got screwed out of making huge money by his business partners and never got the respect in his field he deserved. He's constantly belittled and emasculated by his family. The cancer was the icing on the cake. Saul is somewhat similar - he never got the respect for his undeniable lawyering skills, constantly belittled by his brother. Obviously they go about it in quite different ways, but I think they're quite similar. And the kicker is neither thinks they're doing something wrong - they're just doing what they feel like it will take to get by and survive given their circumstances. 

And what you say about JImmy "wanting out"... I don't see it that way at all. He had a chance to get out. He got disbarred for a year and could have used that as a chance to clean up his act - maybe stay in elder law. But he went even deeper and fully committed to being Saul Goodman. I still have a few episodes of Season 5 left, so maybe something can change. But I definitely don't see Jimmy wanting out. He's about to commit to his involvement to the cartel, and that can't just be undone. 

One other thing. Watching BCS made me want to re-watch Breaking Bad. I just got done with the Better Call Saul episode and the Saul that Walter meets in that episode is a real scumbag - definitely not the morally ambiguous character we see in BCS. So I really wonder what happens in Season 6 that can help explain what made Saul get even deeper in the hole.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We're in the end game now. This week's episode after the 6-week hiatus was phenomenal. It's shaping up to be another epic finale (similar to Breaking Bad). 

Spoiler

I really think we have one, maybe two, more episodes left in the current timeline. Almost all loose ends are tied up. We just need to see how Jimmy and Kim deal with the fallout of everything that just went down. Otherwise, I think we're ready to jump a few years ahead to the Breaking Bad timeline. Then I think they save the last two or three episodes to resolve the Gene storyline. 

On 7/26/2022 at 12:00 PM, Sharpshooter said:

Another great episode and now I want a Cinnabon!

Agreed on both accounts! It definitely needed to grow on me but I really liked what they did with that episode. No idea where they go with this series right now. I love it.

Also... Check out the episode title for the next episode 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀:

On 7/27/2022 at 4:25 PM, Nashley Tisdale said:

Agreed on both accounts! It definitely needed to grow on me but I really liked what they did with that episode. No idea where they go with this series right now. I love it.

Also... Check out the episode title for the next episode 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀:

Yeah, I had read awhile back that those two were going to be in an episode this season. It makes sense now that we're nearing the end and it's catching up to the Breaking Bad time line. I can't wait.

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Dude....last night!!!

Spoiler

Animated GIF

I thought they did a great job with bringing back Walt and Jesse. Obviously Jesse aged quite a bit, but it still felt alright. I thought all of the scenes they did with the Breaking Bad timeline had purpose - mainly being that Saul is partly the whole reason Walt's meth operation goes big. I loved that last scene too - they did a great job with that. If going to see Walt in the high school was the beginning of the end for Saul, what does breaking into the guy's house mean for Gene? 

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Nashley Tisdale said:

I was on vacation last week, but still got to catch the finale. I'm glad I did. Incredible ending to an incredible show. They tied up practically ever loose end while still allowing for some interpretation as to the fates of some of the characters. 

WATCH THIS SHOW PEOPLE! 

AHHHH that was so good. This show isn't Breaking Bad great (in my opinion), but it's really damn close. I'm glad, as you said, there was finality to it. I thought it was done perfectly.

• Keeps it 100 1

• 8 months later...