• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Andrew Copp From WPG for Morgan Barron and Two 2nd-Round Picks

Phil

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

He probably doesn’t view himself as such either with that kind of production.

And that's my point. Why would he sign for 3C money if he doesn't think he's a 3C and the Rangers are asking him to play 2C?

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

To all saying Copp can be a future Strome replacement:

I don’t think looking at the production is enough here to be honest. Strome is having an off year to this point, no one can deny that. I think what the detractors, like myself, here are saying is that Andrew Copp is a fucking fantastic 3rd line player. He is literally a Swiss Army knife who can grind, skate, score, defend, play everywhere at anytime. He’s going to likely have a lot thrown on his shoulders here just as he did in Winnipeg. Moving him up from 3rd line duties to 2nd means taking him a making him an amazing 3rd line player into an okay 2nd line player. We’re gonna need playmakers and scorers to play there with Bread.

Copp lengthens this lineup tremendously. At a young age, he’s probably one of the best 3Cs you can ask for. He fits that role perfectly here and would anywhere. Let him play his role, because that’s where we’ll get the most value out of him.

Animated GIF

Just now, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Sucks to lose him but good for him to go somewhere he will get a better chance to play.

Was hoping it was Hajek lol

great deadline day for Drury. Addressed everything this team needs. We are a much deeper side then we were yesterday

Yeah he will probably slot in Copps spot right away and being our luck outdo Copp like Pionk did Trouba lol

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

How am I taking both sides? I don't think he's a second line player, but if you're him and the Rangers ask you to be a 2nd liner is he going to do it for a 1M raise? I don't think so. Why would he? So is he cheaper than Strome? Doubtful.

Fact is, Ranger fans have always had this "grass is greener" fantasy where we take 3rd liners for other teams and they suddenly become stars for us. It's happened exactly one time in the last 15 or so years and it was with Strome, who everyone is trying to replace LOL.

Like, I was fully on board to replace Strome with Schiefele... But I'm not going to replace Strome with the guy who plays 2 rungs below Schiefele.

You can't bring up both sides. Strome is a second line player in your mind right? Is he currently paid like a second line center ? So how would it be one iota different to bring in another C that previously isn't performing at the exact second line production rate, pay him a bit less, and try to get good value out of a 2-3 year deal like they have with Strome if Ryan proces himself out of NY? 

Just because draft wise he was projected to be one ? Draft wise, a top 5 pick is projected to be more 1st line production in most cases so his pedigree really doesn't hold too much weight to me. Who hebwas before getting here and who he became once here is all that matters. If he's going to cost us too much, I have no problem trying to replicate that especially considering Copp does bring some other aspects to his game Strome doesn't.

It's not a case of grass bring greener. It's a case of a today's NHL being a league where you really need to not pay for yesterday and instead look for good value of today and tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I gotta say it:

In Drury we Trust!!!

Pretty good deals for this team, and didn't give up anything noteworthy.

Didnt really address top 6 goal scoring.....I guess we're hoping Kakka comes back and fills that void?  These trades helped by slotting players in their perfect spots in the lineup.  

• Keeps it 100 1

19 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

To all saying Copp can be a future Strome replacement:

I don’t think looking at the production is enough here to be honest. Strome is having an off year to this point, no one can deny that. I think what the detractors, like myself, here are saying is that Andrew Copp is a fucking fantastic 3rd line player. He is literally a Swiss Army knife who can grind, skate, score, defend, play everywhere at anytime. He’s going to likely have a lot thrown on his shoulders here just as he did in Winnipeg. Moving him up from 3rd line duties to 2nd means taking him a making him an amazing 3rd line player into an okay 2nd line player. We’re gonna need playmakers and scorers to play there with Bread.

Copp lengthens this lineup tremendously. At a young age, he’s probably one of the best 3Cs you can ask for. He fits that role perfectly here and would anywhere. Let him play his role, because that’s where we’ll get the most value out of him. That’s not to say he can’t handle the job; just that I personally view him more as a perfect 3C.

All of that being said, I wouldn’t be 150% floored to see him, at times, get a shift on that Panarin-Strome line for a look or for whatever the situation may dictate.

Vatrano and Copp are both going to get looks in the top 6 for this run; id almost guarantee it.

2 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Didnt really address top 6 goal scoring.....I guess we're hoping Kakka comes back and fills that void?  These trades helped by slotting players in their perfect spots in the lineup.  

Gotta give the kids their chance.  I think if they don't fit the bill, we address that over the summer, Blue.  I wanna see what we have as well. 

4 minutes ago, Keirik said:

You can't bring up both sides. Strome is a second line player in your mind right? Is he currently paid like a second line center ? So how would it be one iota different to bring in another C that previously isn't performing at the exact second line production rate, pay him a bit less, and try to get good value out of a 2-3 year deal like they have with Strome if Ryan proces himself out of NY? 

Just because draft wise he was projected to be one ? Draft wise, a top 5 pick is projected to be more 1st line production in most cases so his pedigree really doesn't hold too much weight to me. Who hebwas before getting here and who he became once here is all that matters. If he's going to cost us too much, I have no problem trying to replicate that especially considering Copp does bring some other aspects to his game Strome doesn't.

It's not a case of grass bring greener. It's a case of a today's NHL being a league where you really need to not pay for yesterday and instead look for good value of today and tomorrow. 

To be clear, I don't see Copp being much (if any) of a cost savings over Strome if you're asking both players to be a 2C on this team. I don't think replacing Strome with Copp over $500K or something as being an upgrade. And remind me why Copp signs a 2-3 year deal as a UFA?

It stings losing Barron with the potential he has, but if they can sign Copp to an extension this won’t sting as much. The second rounders are conditional picks. One becomes a first if the Rangers win the first two rounds of the playoffs and Copp plays 50% of the games and the other is a 2nd in either this year or next years draft, Winnipegs pick.