• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What's Up With Foxy?

Sod16

I think a slight problem with him is that scouting reports are catching a bit up with him.  His game is heavily dependent on patience and letting the play unfold in front of him. However lately he’s been holding it without moving his feet still so he’s been coasting and being forced into errors when his options run out. We saw it tonight. Still young so I have very little worry in the long term of this but he has to speed his game up from time to time. 

• VINNY! 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

19 hours ago, Keirik said:

I think a slight problem with him is that scouting reports are catching a bit up with him.  His game is heavily dependent on patience and letting the play unfold in front of him. However lately he’s been holding it without moving his feet still so he’s been coasting and being forced into errors when his options run out. We saw it tonight. Still young so I have very little worry in the long term of this but he has to speed his game up from time to time. 

So clearly still learning, adjusting etc to the game. 

20 hours ago, Keirik said:

Yeah. Agreed. I think the scouting report being out on him applies to some of the cutesy stuff that had us shaking our head at how he pulled it off so easily. In particular, in the past he’s been very effective at making a play at the O zone blueline to keep the puck in the zone and shake defenders. When the defender comes up to pressure, a simple fake dump/pass/shot would get the defender to bite and peel off basically every time and Fox would hold the puck and dance/spin away creating lots of open space and lanes. I’ve noticed defenders are playing him a lot more honest and going right up to him forcing pressure, causing turnovers. He doesn’t get away with it very often anymore. He’s probably got to start mixing it up. Sometimes make the simpler, more straightforward play. Maybe have some set plays knowing the defender is going to be pushed all the way up and temporarily out of position. Quick give and go kind of deal.

Elite players adjust and adapt. I have no doubt Fox will. He’s not only talented, but his biggest advantage is between the ears and the way he processes the game.

Edited by rmc51

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's a master of giving bad info, misdirection. He hasn't been able to do it as well since the injury. 

However his struggles have been defensive, as well. 

He’s banged up. No denying.

If they can cut his minutes here and there, and maybe sit him a night or two, it helps.