• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Finding Success With Captain-less Leadership

Drew a Penalty

“There had been all this talk about naming a captain and I think most guys wanted to have one because we really didn’t want to hear about it anymore,” Ryan Strome told The Post in a recent conversation. “We wanted to move on, and I think we were surprised, but the way it’s worked has been unbelievable.

“I think it’s been a factor in our success.”

Strome is one of the sextet of lettermen, joined by Chris Kreider, Mika Zibanejad, Jacob Trouba, Artemi Panarin and Barclay Goodrow. There are two Americans, two Canadians, a Swede and a Russian. At age 27, Trouba is the youngest.

“I feel like everyone is equal and has a voice within the group and that we all respect each other’s opinions and we all bring something a little bit different to the table,” Strome said. “We have a group chat and when it’s been called for, we’ve had a few meetings. There is a real give-and-take.

“The other day there was something I brought to the attention of one of the other guys, I asked what his thoughts were on it and what we should do about it? He told me he thought we needed to address it, so we set something up for later in the day and we dealt with it. That’s pretty much how it’s been going.”

“There’s a lot of communication whether we’re meeting in person, speaking over the phone, texting, big things, little things,” Kreider said. “There are six guys who have had varying experiences, different perspectives, varying levels of experience and I think it’s a cool thing.

“At the same time having all those guys on the same page, committed to winning, open to suggestions and ideas and other people’s opinions, I think it’s been working incredibly well. And it’s a really good support system for us, too, being able to lean on each other as opposed to having just one or two guys. We can bounce ideas off one another and get advice from someone who might have been in a similar situation.”

Link: https://nypost.com/2022/01/10/rangers-finding-success-with-captain-less-leadership/

• Drew a Penalty changed the title to Rangers Finding Success With Captain-less Leadership
  • Drew a Penalty changed the title to Rangers Finding Success With Captain-Less Leadership
2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

As long as the team has great leadership and comraderies, that's all I care about. Perhaps the whole Captain thing is something the fans think about and discuss more than the players. Watching this team this year, I haven't cared a bit that no one has a 'C' on their chest.

We haven't even brought it up in weeks!!  It's funny how winning solves all the bullshit, doesn't it?

At this point, I could give a flying shit about a captain.  I like this team holding each other accountable, whether they wear a letter or not.  Brooksie's been pushing this captain shit more than any of us, I think!

• Applause 1

Just now, Ozzy said:

We haven't even brought it up in weeks!!  It's funny how winning solves all the bullshit, doesn't it?

At this point, I could give a flying shit about a captain.  I like this team holding each other accountable, whether they wear a letter or not.  Brooksie's been pushing this captain shit more than any of us, I think!

Yeah, it's just him looking for a story when there's not much to fabricate. We did have a large thread on this weeks ago, as you said, but it completely died. Yeah, everyone is holding each other accountable and there's leadership en masse with this group. They're not in any rush to formally name a captain, nor should they be. Kreider is probably the de facto captain at this point anyway. This year he's really put it all together and has taken an even bigger step in the leadership department.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

You can have a C and still have 4 A's (2 home and 2 away), so not sure I'm really buying into that logic, but also don't care at this point. it's overrated by fans.

I'd go so far as to argue it only matters to fans. If the team feels it has the right leadership mix, it doesn't matter if anyone is wearing a letter. It only matters to fans, who want to buy the most authentically accurate jersey possible.

• Like 1