• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Robin Lehner Is First Player to Opt Out of Olympics

Phil

Lehner is the first but I'm sure there will be quite a few others.  Can you imagine getting stuck in China of all places for three weeks?  I'm a huge fan of the Olympics but I would personally pass on this one.  Especially if I was a younger guy like Matthews or McDavid when you probably have a really good chance of playing in the next one in Italy.

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Lehner is the first but I'm sure there will be quite a few others.  Can you imagine getting stuck in China of all places for three weeks?  I'm a huge fan of the Olympics but I would personally pass on this one.  Especially if I was a younger guy like Matthews or McDavid when you probably have a really good chance of playing in the next one in Italy.

nah, its the olympics. You go if asked.

My guess is Markstrom being the clear started also helped Lehner make this decision. I am also going to assume Lehner has a big, close support system that might not be the same in China for a month.