• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Islanders Game (11/28) Postponed; Re-Scheduled for 3/17/22

RichieNextel305

For over 50 years the Rangers played a home game on New Year's Eve.  It was a great tradition.  They combined that with the Islanders as the opponent in 1988-89 and an OT win and the place just about got torn down.  The Rangers haven't played at home on New Year's Eve ever since.

We've got to make sure Kevin Rooney does not end up peeing on himself like the guy in Slap Shot.

7 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

For over 50 years the Rangers played a home game on New Year's Eve.  It was a great tradition.  They combined that with the Islanders as the opponent in 1988-89 and an OT win and the place just about got torn down.  The Rangers haven't played at home on New Year's Eve ever since.

We've got to make sure Kevin Rooney does not end up peeing on himself like the guy in Slap Shot.

Didn't they also play on Christmas Day every year for a long time too?

There used to be games scheduled on Christmas, but never any at MSG.  I don't remember Christmas games after 1970 in Detroit, which I only remember because they lost on a goal by Gordie Howe, putting a damper on my Christmas as a kid.