• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Marian Gaborik Formally Announces Retirement

Phil

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Obviously the '14 and '15 Rangers teams were top tier, Stanley Cup worthy teams. But, that 2012 squad, man, I thought they were up there too. Not only Gaborik but the defense and Lundqvist was insane that year as well.

That was our best shot at the Cup IMO. The only 2 teams that could beat us in the East I thought were Pittsburgh and Boston and they went out early. Lundqvist was at his best, Gaborik was at his best, we had tremendous depth and championship level heroics all year long. The problem was we had the experience of the playoffs, but didn’t know how to finish teams off. Letting Ottawa take us to 7 was criminal and then letting Washington up off the floor after a huge Game 3 3OT win and then the spectacle of the Game 5 classic were signs that while this team can win, it didn’t know how to close anyone out. And it eventually got the best of them, because they were absolutely exhausted by the time they ran into New Jersey. Just a shame, because if you look at that roster, it was really our most complete team.

Gaborik was a tremendous signing for the Rangers. His second year aside, where he had consistency issues, he was always wildly productive here; especially that first year when our offense was literally just him and Vinny Prospal. He will always be linked here because he played so well here, and also because of how well he torched us. The 5 goal game in Minnesota around Christmas in 2007 and then his run in 2014, when he was automatic for the Kings, and was absolutely robbed of the Conn Smythe by Justin Williams.

Great career, great Ranger. Cheers Gabby.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Gaborik was an anomaly here. A premier offensive player that remained as such while wearing a Rangers jersey. lol Sure, the Rangers have been guilty of signing a lot of them past their primes, but you know what I mean.

For sure. He came in and was as advertised.

His issues were always health. And by and large, he remained healthy for the majority of his time here. Prior to coming here, he was one of those guys who you knew as a superstar level player, but often wondered how good he could really be if he just stayed healthy. The year before we got him, he played just 17 games. That’s a negative. The positive? He had 13 goals.

Just a tremendous talent. He had some insane wheels and the absolute best release I have ever seen. That goal he scored early on in his tenure here vs. the Kings is still one of the best goals I can remember ever seeing.

As you can see, I can go on and on about the guy. He was easily one of my favorite players here; just a pleasure to watch play in the prime of his career.

Along with the Spider-Man mask; that was a cool one.

Honestly, I’m anxious to see which former Rangers are invited to Lundqvist night. The 94 guys were easy, because they just stuck with the core guys from the Cup win.

Henrik played with so many high profile players across his time here. Jagr, Shanahan, Gaborik, Richards, St. Louis, etc. I’m curious to see which guys from all those older teams come back for the game.

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

Along with the Spider-Man mask; that was a cool one.

Honestly, I’m anxious to see which former Rangers are invited to Lundqvist night. The 94 guys were easy, because they just stuck with the core guys from the Cup win.

Henrik played with so many high profile players across his time here. Jagr, Shanahan, Gaborik, Richards, St. Louis, etc. I’m curious to see which guys from all those older teams come back for the game.

St Louis maybe.  he's the closest. He's lives in CT.

ADA

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Ah, it was all five against him. I didn't remember. Even though it was bad to watch, you couldn't help but be mindblown over it. That was Henrik well in his prime too.

You wanna know what’s funny? I remember the turnover, and watching Gaborik fly up the ice and going “fuck it, score!” Probably the only time I can ever remember a play where I actively kind of rooted against the Rangers just because we had played like such shit and what’s one more goal really? 

Maybe that was my sign that he was destined to eventually end up here, lol.

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

You wanna know what’s funny? I remember the turnover, and watching Gaborik fly up the ice and going “fuck it, score!” Probably the only time I can ever remember a play where I actively kind of rooted against the Rangers just because we had played like such shit and what’s one more goal really? 

Maybe that was my sign that he was destined to eventually end up here, lol.

At that point I fully expected him to pull a Babe Ruth, point towards the net, call his shot, and just score. lol

Edit: I remember Owen Nolan doing something like that.

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Applause 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

At that point I fully expected him to pull a Babe Ruth, point towards the net, call his shot, and just score. lol

Edit: I remember Owen Nolan doing something like that.

Right on Sharpy...All star game...with that annoying puck tracer line they had back then:

:46 seconds in....

• Like 1

An amazing combination of wheels and hands.  It's too bad he played so much of his career on teams coached by Lemaire and later Torts.

His tenure under Lemaire was encapsulated in the 5 goal game against the Rangers.  After his fifth goal early in the third, Jacques gave him only two short shirts, none in the final minutes.

A good guy who wanted to play for the Rangers and then held up his end of the bargain.