• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

FLA Re-Sign Sasha Barkov to 8-Year/$80M Extension; $10M AAV

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Man, he must really love the weather and not winning. 

People said the same about Tampa. Now they have two Cups. Florida is really, really good. No reason to think they can't follow in the same footsteps.

• Applause 1

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

People said the same about Tampa. Now they have two Cups. Florida is really, really good. No reason to think they can't follow in the same footsteps.

Really really good teams usually don't win Cups. The reason to think that they can't follow in the same footsteps is that they aren't managed very well.

• Phil changed the title to FLA Re-Sign Sasha Barkov to 8-Year/$80M Extension; $10M AAV
5 hours ago, Pete said:

Really really good teams usually don't win Cups. The reason to think that they can't follow in the same footsteps is that they aren't managed very well.

I'll grant you the Bob signing was beyond stupid but they have one of the better line-ups in the league right now and a great coach. I expect them to be contenders this year.

$10 million a year in a no-tax state.  

Barkov would bring home $6.1 million compared to $5.364 million if in NYC.

Mika would have to sign for 8y/$86 million....$10.75 million per year to bring home more or less the same as Barkov.....which Mika will not get but shows how much an advantage a no tax state is vs. a high tax state for a superstar

2 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

Mika would have to sign for 8y/$86 million....$10.75 million per year to bring home more or less the same as Barkov.....which Mika will not get but shows how much an advantage a no tax state is vs. a high tax state for a superstar

If you do that, a NMC should be OFF THE TABLE, a non starter.

Yeah, I've said this before and have had some different opinions on it. I think the tax rate definitely plays a part in where or why a player might remain or sign somewhere. Is it the only reason?? No, but is it a factor? I think so sometimes. 

It looks like you may be are treating all of the income as NY or FLA.  It gets broken down by where the games are played, meaning a FLA player pays income taxes on slightly less than half of his income.   A NY player will not have to pay taxes on income derived from the approximately 7 games a year in no income tax states and at rates well below those in NY for games played in states with lower rates (such as PA and IL).  Also, the players live in Westchester and don't pay NYC income tax, just as commuters don't. 

14 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Yeah, I've said this before and have had some different opinions on it. I think the tax rate definitely plays a part in where or why a player might remain or sign somewhere. Is it the only reason?? No, but is it a factor? I think so sometimes. 

It impacts lower salaries more than higher salaries, is it really that much of a difference between 10 million and 11 million dollars?

1 hour ago, Costa said:

If you do that, a NMC should be OFF THE TABLE, a non starter.

Doesn’t work like this. No player who gets to free agency, who is married and likely starting a family, is going to willingly give up control over where he plays. You can give him the trade protection or not, but not almost certainly means he'll go somewhere else (that will give it to him).

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Doesn’t work like this. No player who gets to free agency, who is married and likely starting a family, is going to willingly give up control over where he plays. You can give him the trade protection or not, but not almost certainly means he'll go somewhere else (that will give it to him).

I'm not saying don't give him ANY clause but even if you don't give him one, who's going to take someone making near $10 mil AAV/season?? 

5 hours ago, Pete said:

It impacts lower salaries more than higher salaries, is it really that much of a difference between 10 million and 11 million dollars?

I wish I could relate lol. I just think when player X negotiates and is using comparable contracts, any good negotiation tactic for a GM when the agent says another player makes an extra million would easily be “well and when they are taxed at rate whatever higher it works out less…..”