• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Forget Eichel, Upgrade on Chytil

Phil

Yeah, he's only 22, but he's played nearly 200 NHL games over the better part of three NHL seasons. He could still breakout, but if I'm the Rangers, I tell Buffalo to piss off, lockup Zibanejad and Strome, and look to move Chytil out for a reliable checking line 3C. Someone in that 40-point range who's an ace in the hole. Dvorak would have been ideal before the trade to Montréal. First thought is Jenner, but that feels like a move that'll take a lot of elbow grease to work out. CBJ love him and he just re-signed another four-year deal that kicks in next season at the same cap hit he was already at ($3.75 million). Feels like a CBJ lifer if there ever was one.

Regardless, if it's not Jenner, it should be something in that vein. Either way, I'm a pretty hard pass on Eichel at this point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah, he's only 22, but he's played nearly 200 NHL games over the better part of three NHL seasons. He could still breakout, but if I'm the Rangers, I tell Buffalo to piss off, lockup Zibanejad and Strome, and look to move Chytil out for a reliable checking line 3C. Someone in that 40-point range who's an ace in the hole. Dvorak would have been ideal before the trade to Montréal. First thought is Jenner, but that feels like a move that'll take a lot of elbow grease to work out. CBJ love him and he just re-signed another four-year deal that kicks in next season at the same cap hit he was already at ($3.75 million). Feels like a CBJ lifer if there ever was one.

Regardless, if it's not Jenner, it should be something in that vein. Either way, I'm a pretty hard pass on Eichel at this point.

THANK YOU!!!  Don't get me wrong, the idea of Eichel on the Rangers excites me but that neck...no thanks.  Too much to chance there.  It would be so Rangers to make that move and the guy has a complication in surgery and never walks again.

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

THANK YOU!!!  Don't get me wrong, the idea of Eichel on the Rangers excites me but that neck...no thanks.  Too much to chance there.  It would be so Rangers to make that move and the guy has a complication in surgery and never walks again.

It's not the neck. It's the timing. I've got negative interest in trading active roster pieces days from the start of the season for a guy who isn't likely to play his first game until 2022. You can't make the playoffs in October, but you can sure miss them.

I feel like the only teams who can pull this off are ones where the expectations are already zero. Anaheim, basically.

an upgrade is an upgrade. and a healthy Jack is a big ass upgrade.

IF Eichel has successful surgery and returns to form it would be insane to have passed him up for something like Chytil, Krav, Jones and a pick or two. put bluntly, if we can’t win a cup with Panarin, Eichel, and Mika flexing in our top 2 lines with all the other young talent we have and all the bottom six grit—fuck it, we aren’t winning. gotta put up your best shot. 

it’s a BIG IF tho. a big, expensive, risky if. I get the temptation to play it safe a million percent. but if the price is right I’m pulling that trigger. 

I feel like we have been around this a bunch. I’ll take Zib/Strome at 15m than Eichel at 10 + an unknown with him and an unknown at 2c. I actually don’t have an interest in Eichel. Hell of a player but it’s not 2019. A 2021 Eichel does us no good when he doesn’t play until 2022 and likely resets us a tad the following year losing Zib/Strome and whatever assets thry need to trade to get Eichel in the first place. 

Also agree on Chytil. I’m not seeing it with him and if it’s mid season where we are doing well and Chytil is 5 goals 9 assists into his year with a few flashes and a 30% faceoff win %, I say start seeing who is interested for a better fit at 3c.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tonybologna said:

But what if...what if....Zib, Strome, AND Eichel?

Would last for like five months. Then you have to blow it up. fact is, Eichel costs the team Zibanejad, period. Maybe Strome, too.

38 minutes ago, shestYORKin said:

an upgrade is an upgrade. and a healthy Jack is a big ass upgrade.

IF Eichel has successful surgery and returns to form it would be insane to have passed him up for something like Chytil, Krav, Jones and a pick or two. put bluntly, if we can’t win a cup with Panarin, Eichel, and Mika flexing in our top 2 lines with all the other young talent we have and all the bottom six grit—fuck it, we aren’t winning. gotta put up your best shot. 

it’s a BIG IF tho. a big, expensive, risky if. I get the temptation to play it safe a million percent. but if the price is right I’m pulling that trigger. 

I appreciate the sentiment but you can’t just strip the proverbial cupboard just to get two different top line centers and then try to thinly surround them with spare parts. It just rarely works in the long haul. Plus you’re going to need some of those picks and young talent to either trade later when we are in a position to win or help round out the team while still being affordable. 

I mean, you can, you just end up in Leafs land, quick. That revolving door of players they're constantly having to surround the team with is a direct reflection of the fact they have $22.5 million tied up in two top-six centers.

• Applause 1

I don't think Chytil brings a great deal in a trade right now.  If you weigh the difference between what you would get for him now versus what you would get for him at mid season if he's still not working out (not that much difference) against the possible benefit of giving him a chance in a hopefully injury free uninterrupted season, I think it's best to leave him be for now.

There's no question that if he's not making very significant strides this year, it's time to move on.

I think the technology is so good now that he'll be fine after that disc replacement. Maybe it becomes a bit of a problem as he gets older, but we probably shouldn't worry about that too much. I still have a feeling that it's probably going to happen, but I don't know if the Sabres would trade him to an Eastern team. They probably would trade him out of west out of spite, even though the Rangers have a good amount of assets.

We talked about this all summer. The problem isn't any specific C. The problem is that none of their top 3Cs are big, physical, shut down C to complement what the others bring. That's why Hertl, kuznetsov, Dvorak, et al didnt make sense. They'd be a Strome/Zibanejad replacement when upgrade #1 or #3C.

Chytil, as we've mentioned before, is not a puck distributor. And that's fine, Strome is, Zibanejad is. But now, he's playing with Goodrow and Gauthier. I mean... you are not going to show much offense with those guys. Goodrow is a straight forward, go to the net. Gauthier has passed twice in his career. He gets the puck, puts his head down, and does the same thing every time. There's absolutely zero chemistry on that line, and no offensive potential, other than the odd skate down the wing from Chytil or Gauthier. Chytil plays his best hockey with a puck distributing winger (Buchnevich, Lafreniere) and he doesn't have that right now. It's not a shocker that he doesn't look better with less offensive linemates.

Spread out the size and spread out the skill. There is enough mix of both where they should all be able to complement one another.

Upgrading Chytil means you are eventually losing Strome and/or Zibanejad as a cap casualty.

9 hours ago, Sod16 said:

I don't think Chytil brings a great deal in a trade right now.  If you weigh the difference between what you would get for him now versus what you would get for him at mid season if he's still not working out (not that much difference) against the possible benefit of giving him a chance in a hopefully injury free uninterrupted season, I think it's best to leave him be for now.

There's no question that if he's not making very significant strides this year, it's time to move on.

10 hours ago, Phil said:

I kinda wanna see what he does this year before I write him totally off.  I've been kinda down on Chytil as well, but I sure as fuck don't wanna go down the road with Eichel.  I'd rather have Zibber and Strome than Eichel, and I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell you can have all 3 under the cap.

I like Phil's idea of a Jenner type player for the 3C, and I also think if we hang on a little and give it at least this season, we can have an even better idea of who Chytil is or isn't.  If he can't make strides under Gallant, then I'm sold on him taking the midnight train to Georgia, so to speak.

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

If Blais can play RW I would go with this as lines if everyone is healthy but I know it would never happen. 
Lafraniere -Zibanejad- Kakko

Panarin - Strome - Kravtsov

Kreider - Goodrow - Blais

Hunt - Rooney - Reaves

Haven’t been a Chytil fan from the start. 

Let's be honest, that's not a good 4th line. 

And that third line isn't much either.

I think you give Chytil till mid way through the season. If he shows he can’t improve you move him at/by the deadline for the playoffs. There’s just too much potential there to move on from him right now. I wanna see what Gallant can do to him with some time. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Trade Chytil & Miller to upgrade at 3rd line center and use Jones instead of Miller on D.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but if you're moving Chytil and Miller — two young first-round picks — for a third-line center, it better be the most elite third-line center in the entire NHL.

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

That 4th line is a little meh, but that 3rd line could be really good. Experience, size, grit, skill enough to be a 3rd line, defensively solid. What more do you want from a 3rd line?

2 4th liners and Kreider (who will look like a 4th liner playing with other 4th liners).

All 3 of those guys are complementary players. If you want to have a grind line, sure, But you cant do that to your bottom 6 and expect it to look different than last season.