• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022 Olympics

siddious

• 4 months later...

Why should I watch a bunch of sports that I don't otherwise find interesting enough to watch just because they are in the Olympics?

As for hockey, I'm assuming Russian will dominate because they can field a pretty good team from the KHL, while the best AHL players are probably not available to the U.S. and Canada because they are on Taxi Squads at the moment.

Russia is banned, but its athletes may compete under the banner of "Russian Olympic Committee."  And I'm not to treat the whole thing as a farce?

The Canadian-born goalie for the Chinese Olympic women’s hockey team was reportedly prohibited from speaking English during an interview following the team’s 2-1 shootout victory over Japan on Sunday.

Zhou Jiaying, 26, was asked by a reporter if she could take a few questions in English in a post-match press briefing in Wukesong Sport Centre’s “mixed zone,” according to Reuters. The athlete turned and told an aide she was not allowed to, which the aide relayed to the assembled journalists.

“She’s not allowed to speak English,” the aide said in English. “I’ll try to translate for her.”

https://adnamerica.com/en/china/canadian-hockey-player-recruited-chinese-team-prohibited-speaking-english-during-interview

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

4 minutes ago, Dunny said:

The same way Brett Hull played for the US.

Doesnt Brett Hull have dual citizenship?  Brett Hull's mom is American.  

Jake Chelios only has that he plays in the KHL for a chinese team in the KHL, so that automatically makes him eligible?  I just heard the other day that China doesnt allow dual citizenship 

So I dont really see the correlation how Brett Hull played for the U.S. and Jake Chelios for China.  

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

Doesnt Brett Hull have dual citizenship?  Brett Hull's mom is American.  

Jake Chelios only has that he plays in the KHL for a chinese team in the KHL, so that automatically makes him eligible?  I just heard the other day that China doesnt allow dual citizenship 

So I dont really see the correlation how Brett Hull played for the U.S. and Jake Chelios for China.  

Point being that they make their own rules. The IOC standards around this are pretty lax. He's been in Kunlun for three years, much like Ethan Werek. Ryan Sproul is another guy.

I just checked for specifics on these guys and can't find much.

I was at a conference in Lake Placid many years ago and one of the after-dinner events was to do curling on the Olympic rink. It was really fun and I came home thinking about how I could play locally in the Mid-Hudson area. Then I saw that the 'stones' would cost about $1,500 and that idea ended. Not to mention carrying them around in the car every week. #hurniasport 😆

23 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

I was at a conference in Lake Placid many years ago and one of the after-dinner events was to do curling on the Olympic rink. It was really fun and I came home thinking about how I could play locally in the Mid-Hudson area. Then I saw that the 'stones' would cost about $1,500 and that idea ended. Not to mention carrying them around in the car every week. #hurniasport 😆

There's no club? Our Curling club is functionally the town hub, as they have a stocked bar and the arena does not lol.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dunny said:

There's no club? Our Curling club is functionally the town hub, as they have a stocked bar and the arena does not lol.

LOL - our rink has a great bar, that's not the problem. Unfortunately down here, the weather no longer freezes the lake well enough for winter sports. It's challenging to get the outdoor rink to freeze well too.