• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Ryan Reaves From VGK for 2022 3rd-Round Pick; Re-Sign to $1.75mx1

Phil

2 fights and 1 good hit into the season that will likely change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple things are gonna happen:

1) he's gonna crush someone and probably fight wilson in the 1st game and people are gonna be on board.

2) He's gonna crush someone and get suspended mid season and the people who hate him are gonna come out hard against him, saying he's useless, etc.

AKA he's gonna be polarizing on social media, but in MSG he'll absolutely be a favorite.

1) he's gonna crush someone and probably fight wilson in the 1st game and people are gonna be on board.

2) He's gonna crush someone and get suspended mid season and the people who hate him are gonna come out hard against him, saying he's useless, etc.

AKA he's gonna be polarizing on social media, but in MSG he'll absolutely be a favorite.

Yea id say thats accurate.

If he can fill a 4th line role and not be completely useless the way Brashear was then he should be ok. Which I think he will.

The last time the Rangers were this tough was when the team had Marty McSorley Shane Charla

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

haha naaah. Ryan Reaves most likely wouldn't even be a heavyweight even a few years back. Think about Derek Boogard and John Scott. Those guys were giants. Even Brashear had a few inches and 20+ pounds on him. Goodrow and Blais would just be your average player. Rangers will be gritty and tough to play against, but IMO they don't even compare to Torts teams with Colton Orr, Brandon Prust, Stu Bickel, Mike Rupp, Brendan Shanahan, Dubinksy, etc. Those lineups had maybe one or two "soft" players that stood out like a sore thumb.

I think that might be a little of a reach but I guess you never know with our fanbase lol. I doubt he’s as polarizing of a person as some of the other guys we’ve had and becomes our yearly whipping boy. I thought our toughness was overkill but not specifically him and I’m not going to be that “I told you so” guy unless he Brashears it and shows up 40 lbs overweight and all that. Highly doubt that happens.

He's gonna be a solid 4th liner for us. Gallant will take care of everything and not put him in a situation he doesn't belong in, I'm pretty sure.

Having a coach that has a successful history with former players is a big plus I think.

A lot of my Islanders buddies are flipping that we got Reaves...they're actually pretty concerned about us being a real threat this year...quite a refreshing difference from years past!!

...and by the way...gimme Joey Kocur all day long on heavyweights. When he and Graves, along with Beuk were out there, even though Beuk didn't have as many tilts as Gravy and Joey, those guys were tough.

• 1 month later...

10. A correction here: Reaves’ one-year contract extension through 2022-23 does not qualify as an over-35 deal. It is considered a stand alone one-year contract that would not fall under the over-35 rule that applies to multiyear deals.

Beyond that, the over-35 rule has been changed per the MOU (Memo of Understanding) between the NHL and NHLPA, a deal struck over the summer of 2020 in advance of the new collective bargaining agreement.

The over-35 rule now does not apply on multiyear deals in which a player’s compensation is either the same or increases from one year to the next. In other words, only front-loaded deals are now over-35s that would carry cap penalties.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/29/zac-jones-vs-nils-lundkvist-and-other-big-rangers-questions/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

• Applause 1

3 minutes ago, siddious said:

The anti-reaves gang just took a hit

No, we're actually relieved. 

EDIT: Personally was never worried about the over 35 aspect as he's not gonna retire or be bought out. Just didn't see a real need to extend him. 

Edited by Pete

• Drew a Penalty changed the title to Rangers Acquire Ryan Reaves From VGK for 2022 3rd-Round Pick; Re-Sign to $1.75mx1