• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What's All This Cap Space For?

LindG1000

Just running the numbers here...

nyr2122.png

What are we doing with all this cap space? It's clearly not Eichel and we're bursting at the seams at near every spot.

We're not spending nearly 13m on a 3C.

What's the mystery move here?

edit - might be a smidge hard to see, but this layout has:

Nemeth at 2.5

Shesterkin at 5

Chytil at 2.3

Lundkvist on the roster

12.7M cap.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Next year.

Yup! I think it's all about next season, G man!

31 has this one pegged I think. With all the RFA/UFA's, we're going to need a ton to pay to try to keep the nucleus of this team going. Obviously there are guys on this list that won't stay, but this is next year's crop I see.

Strome

Zibby

Blais

Kakko

Kravtsov

Gauthier

Rooney

Fox

Bitetto

Georgiev

Kinkaid

The bolded ones are the one's I think that will make a nice dent in the trust fund! ;)

Next year.

Doesn't make sense to leave it open for a year though. I don't need to pay anyone else this year, but I've got 13M in space?

We're going to have 32M in space as things stand for next year. We know Fox is going to come in between Heiskanen and Makar, let's say 9. We know Zib is going to come in around there too. We're at 14M left for Strome/C, Kakko, Kravtsov, Blais, a spare forward and a backup goalie.

We've got no reason to leave the cap open so long as we're not making significant long term investments - what are we doing with it all?

Doesn't make sense to leave it open for a year though. I don't need to pay anyone else this year, but I've got 13M in space?

We're going to have 32M in space as things stand for next year. We know Fox is going to come in between Heiskanen and Makar, let's say 9. We know Zib is going to come in around there too. We're at 14M left for Strome/C, Kakko, Kravtsov, Blais, a spare forward and a backup goalie.

We've got no reason to leave the cap open so long as we're not making significant long term investments - what are we doing with it all?

$32M after your projections for Chytil and Igor. Let's say they use $10M of the remaining $13M this year on multi-year contracts. Now you've got $22M to re-sign or replace:

Fox

Zibanejad

Strome

Kaapo

Kravtsov

Blais

Gauthier

Georgiev

Isn't it obvious??? We're having a fucking keg Party!!! :rofl:

Seriously man, Drury hasn't tipped his hand at all during this, and it's a small miracle I even chose Nemeth out of the blue....(That was wild guess too! ;))

Maybe it's an impact type player in the last year of a deal....Total guess here...

$32M after your projections for Chytil and Igor. Let's say they use $10M of the remaining $13M this year on multi-year contracts. Now you've got $22M to re-sign or replace:

Fox

Zibanejad

Strome

Kaapo

Kravtsov

Blais

Gauthier

Georgiev

Considering these two players are almost 20 million by themselves I think it's pretty clear there will be a problem next year if Kakko or Krav break out. Lafreniere the year after that. So, yeah. We have space right now, but there is absolutely no chance they could have afforded Buch's 5.8. There's no chance they can afford another 10m center (if they want to keep Mika).

Strome is a really interesting case too, right? He's going to get 6x6 at least - you could assume. So yeah, how do you upgrade while keep the price lower than that? I have no idea and that's why I'm not a GM.

And moving Kreider becomes all that more important, IMO. Not this year but maybe next summer. flat cap really sucks.

Considering these two players are almost 20 million by themselves I think it's pretty clear there will be a problem next year if Kakko or Krav break out. Lafreniere the year after that. So, yeah. We have space right now, but there is absolutely no chance they could have afforded Buch's 5.8. There's no chance they can afford another 10m center (if they want to keep Mika).

Strome is a really interesting case too, right? He's going to get 6x6 at least - you could assume. So yeah, how do you upgrade while keep the price lower than that? I have no idea and that's why I'm not a GM.

And moving Kreider becomes all that more important, IMO. Not this year but maybe next summer. flat cap really sucks.

Sure flat cap sucks, but dead cap sucks, stop giving players dumb contracts for example: Kreider

Sign landeskog to one year 13 mil and WIN NOW!! Kidding…sorta

I was telling a friend that the other day, why wouldn't a team like the Sabres just offer him like 1year 14mil then trade him ASAP, it's essentially buying a 1st round pick and top prospect.

I was telling a friend that the other day, why wouldn't a team like the Sabres just offer him like 1year 14mil then trade him ASAP, it's essentially buying a 1st round pick and top prospect.

Wow there’s an idea too, wonder if they’d actually get that return though or even any bidders. I guess if they retain max some competitive teams could do it

You guys are missing the point here.

For one season, we have nearly 13 million uncommitted. There is a LOT we can do with that space without significantly jeopardizing the future costs we know of already. Further, we've literally made the choice to clear the space now - when we objectively do not need it for another season and clearing space is more expensive than it's ever been.

This doesn't add up, and there has to be a plan here.

giphy.gif

See, you get it.

How do the Canucks match us deciding to whip it out and put 1 year 16M in front of Elias Pettersson specifically to claim him long term as the Strome replacement/Zib insurance?

Yeah, yeah, offer sheets never happen - but there has to be a reason why we're sitting on this much space, willingly moved on from Buch, haven't traded for Eichel - there has to be some kind of plan that isn't "sign overpaid third liners".

You guys are missing the point here.

For one season, we have nearly 13 million uncommitted. There is a LOT we can do with that space without significantly jeopardizing the future costs we know of already. Further, we've literally made the choice to clear the space now - when we objectively do not need it for another season and clearing space is more expensive than it's ever been.

This doesn't add up, and there has to be a plan here.

but what about future development?

Sign a Taylor Hall equivalent so Kakko and Kravtsov get bottom 6 minutes? Nah.

Although I did see them taking on a Holtby-like contract, or even a possible bottom 6 change-of-scenery guy with 1year left.

Dolan thinks he can use it to get a real PG for the Knicks

Seriously though, having space this doesn't mean you absolutely need to use it all right now. I don't see any spots open in the top 6 as the roster is currently structured. Kakko and Krav need to show us what they've got. Also not the worst thing in the world to have cap space available at the deadline.

but what about future development?

Sign a Taylor Hall equivalent so Kakko and Kravtsov get bottom 6 minutes? Nah.

Although I did see them taking on a Holtby-like contract, or even a possible bottom 6 change-of-scenery guy with 1year left.

They can just go get Holtby if they want - Canucks bought him out today.

I'm just looking at this and thinking there's got to be a bigger plan than "we're going to go into next season with 13M in space". I get that you don't want the long term deals, but we're not a team that needs to leave that much space open for any reason whatsoever.

They can just go get Holtby if they want - Canucks bought him out today.

I'm just looking at this and thinking there's got to be a bigger plan than "we're going to go into next season with 13M in space". I get that you don't want the long term deals, but we're not a team that needs to leave that much space open for any reason whatsoever.

Holtby-like contract

You can fill up a 4th line with guys Phil mentioned for that much.

But again, who is signing a 1 year deal?

I'd rather have extra cap space this offseason than none next offseason.

Sometimes the best play is to stand there with your stick on the ice. No sense chasing pucks all over the place just to take you out of position.