• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Big Philosophical Shift Likely Means More Changes Coming

WWJD

New coach, New GM, Ownership mandate

There is going to be a big philosophical shift in the way we play next year. That means some guys that we as fans probably don’t want to go are going to go. Buch may have been moreso because of the glut of forwards and cap implications. But Strome on the block to means they are ready to trade him away too.

I am not in love with this because I think the scoring was a beautiful thing with this team and I don't want to bite off our nose to spite our face or swing the pendulum too far the other way.

However we don't see the finished personel puzzle just quite yet so no need to panic but I am not getting the warm and fuzzies with Drury just quite yet.

How far are they going to take this toughness thing? Are we going to get another legit Center soon? I think they want to add more vet savvy and winning players to the equation and that does make sense because the team is still extremely young.

So long as they don't undo what has been done in the last 4 years and package all our picks for 28 year olds I'll be fine. You want to sign older guys? I'm here for it. Just don't trade good assets to win next season. Doesn't sound like Drury was even close to doing that for Eichel, so I have faith.

You’ll have to simply wait and see in what other moves might be made. I don’t personally believe that Drury dealt Buch and brought in Goodrow and Blais and that’s going to be it.

If it is, while that’s not awful, it’s hardly him putting his stamp on the team.

Have to believe there’s more.

I agree its too early to tell. But I said it in one of the other threads that I fully expect them to take this toughness thing to far as I think not only did they over react to the wilson thing but also the islander thing. I hope I am wrong. Kind of reminds me of the time we went from Torts to AV as coach, the entire philosophy of the team and how its built seemed to change over night. Yes they went to the finals but they went full skill and lost the grit and energy of the few years prior year after year until they decided to rebuild because it wasnt working anymore.

We all want a tough team to play against. But I wanna see skill with toughness, not toughness with some skill. IMO last seasons team was a playoff team that hit some rough patches. You upgrade the 4th line to be an actually effective line and maybe add a gritty third line center and this team is much improved. That is kind of where they are now. I am hoping the eichel thing and UFA season doesnt change the dynamic too much further.

What does worry me is that Drury was a boring hockey player. I dont know if he is trying to mold the team to reflect his style of play but if we start turning into a lou lamorello team I will not be happy (yes i know they're successful, still boring to watch)

I agree its too early to tell. But I said it in one of the other threads that I fully expect them to take this toughness thing to far as I think not only did they over react to the wilson thing but also the islander thing. I hope I am wrong. Kind of reminds me of the time we went from Torts to AV as coach, the entire philosophy of the team and how its built seemed to change over night. Yes they went to the finals but they went full skill and lost the grit and energy of the few years prior year after year until they decided to rebuild because it wasnt working anymore.

We all want a tough team to play against. But I wanna see skill with toughness, not toughness with some skill. IMO last seasons team was a playoff team that hit some rough patches. You upgrade the 4th line to be an actually effective line and maybe add a gritty third line center and this team is much improved. That is kind of where they are now. I am hoping the eichel thing and UFA season doesnt change the dynamic too much further.

What does worry me is that Drury was a boring hockey player. I dont know if he is trying to mold the team to reflect his style of play but if we start turning into a lou lamorello team I will not be happy (yes i know they're successful, still boring to watch)

I didn't think the Isles were boring at all this season. Actually I thought the exact opposite

Agree with a lot of this.

There's only 20 players dressing every night and while you'd hope they'd add grit without sacrificing the skill... That doesn't seem likely now.

I'm also questioning the thinking that Gallant will unleash some type of mean streak in some guys. Saw Trouba and Miller mentioned ... These guys are who they are. You're either a mother fucker or you're not. Sometimes Trouba gets his panties in a bunch and will try and knock someone down but a guy who's 6-3, 210 should be more than 40th in the league in hits/60 (and I hate the /60 stat but it's 4:30am and I didn't feel like doing the math on hits/game... But the round numbers there show him close to guys like Faulk and MDZ last season.... )

That said, I also feel like fans expectations are out of whack. Most NHLers are filled with either skill/talent or piss and vinegar... Not many have both. If people want to complain that Zib gets taken out of a game if you hit him or Strome doesn't finish checks... Well fuckin duh thats half the skilled players in the league. Look at what happened McDavid in the playoffs this year.

Folks need to reset expectations. Maybe management does, too.

Agree with a lot of this.

There's only 20 players dressing every night and while you'd hope they'd add grit without sacrificing the skill... That doesn't seem likely now.

I'm also questioning the thinking that Gallant will unleash some type of mean streak in some guys. Saw Trouba and Miller mentioned ... These guys are who they are. You're either a mother fucker or you're not. Sometimes Trouba gets his panties in a bunch and will try and knock someone down but a guy who's 6-3, 210 should be more than 40th in the league in hits/60 (and I hate the /60 stat but it's 4:30am and I didn't feel like doing the math on hits/game... But the round numbers there show him close to guys like Faulk and MDZ last season.... )

That said, I also feel like fans expectations are out of whack. Most NHLers are filled with either skill/talent or piss and vinegar... Not many have both. If people want to complain that Zib gets taken out of a game if you hit him or Strome doesn't finish checks... Well fuckin duh thats half the skilled players in the league. Look at what happened McDavid in the playoffs this year.

Folks need to reset expectations. Maybe management does, too.

Certain systems, coach’s expectations can certainly influence a player one way or another. Example, we saw a softer Kreider under AV than Torts.

Systems with moving may have a few more hits while a system of clogging requires opponents to fight through more. When you have a big, skilled team, clogging and taking up space is most likely getting a better result than skill players chasing trying to hit

Certain systems, coach’s expectations can certainly influence a player one way or another. Example, we saw a softer Kreider under AV than Torts.

Systems with moving may have a few more hits while a system of clogging requires opponents to fight through more. When you have a big, skilled team, clogging and taking up space is most likely getting a better result than skill players chasing trying to hit

I don't really know what this has to do with what I said, but Kreider hit more under Torts because we had the puck less.

AVs counter attack system off the rush meant less chip and chase, less hitting.

Gallant isn't turning Trouba into Gudas.

Kreider is better utilized when he uses his big body in a more contact heavy game. Gallant probably will utilize this a whole lot more than Quinn did. Kreider is not a consistent enough scorer to just be a skill guy and get away with it.

I don't really know what this has to do with what I said, but Kreider hit more under Torts because we had the puck less.

AVs counter attack system off the rush meant less chip and chase, less hitting.

Gallant isn't turning Trouba into Gudas.

If Trouba doesn't start playing tougher this season, he maybe turning into "Gudas-Bye-as"! :rofl:

New coach, New GM, Ownership mandate

There is going to be a big philosophical shift in the way we play next year. That means some guys that we as fans probably don’t want to go are going to go. Buch may have been moreso because of the glut of forwards and cap implications. But Strome on the block to means they are ready to trade him away too.

I am not in love with this because I think the scoring was a beautiful thing with this team and I don't want to bite off our nose to spite our face or swing the pendulum too far the other way.

However we don't see the finished personel puzzle just quite yet so no need to panic but I am not getting the warm and fuzzies with Drury just quite yet.

How far are they going to take this toughness thing? Are we going to get another legit Center soon? I think they want to add more vet savvy and winning players to the equation and that does make sense because the team is still extremely young.

Yeah I hear you, but if given the choice and had to sacrifice one, I'd rather have an average low scoring regular season team that's built more for playoff success. But it remains to be seen if Drury's team structure and Gallant's style promotes that or not.

Yeah I hear you, but if given the choice and had to sacrifice one, I'd rather have an average low scoring regular season team that's built more for playoff success. But it remains to be seen if Drury's team structure and Gallant's style promotes that or not.

Up to a point sure.