• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mutual Interest Between Devils, Dougie Hamilton?

Phil

“It is our collective responsibility in New Jersey to build us back to a level of greatness, and I feel we are way on our way there,” Fitzgerald writes in closing. “Let us build our new legacy — together.”

That and somewhere around $63 million might entice Dougie Hamilton to sign on with a Devils team that is overflowing with young guys who are not yet ready for prime time but is still searching for a foundation that will support the growth of the Hughes Bros., Ty Smith, young veteran Nico Hischier and the like.

We’re told that there might be mutual interest between the Devils and Hamilton, who previously had been linked to the Kraken. That interest could come in the form of a seven-year deal worth an average of $9 million per. The contract would essentially replace P.K. Subban’s when No. 76’s deal expires at the end of the season. It would also create a splash.

The Devils have missed the playoffs eight of the past nine years. New Jersey is not regarded as a destination spot. When players craft no-trade lists, the Devils are often on it. When expensive players around the league want out, they rarely ask to come to the Devils. So Fitzgerald has done a lot of shopping in the discount lane.

I don’t believe this is a New Jersey thing. Players took less money to stay during the Era of Excellence that produced three Stanley Cups in nine years from 1995-2003. I think it’s a franchise thing. I think it is a perception thing. It reminds me of the Mets before they got Keith Hernandez in 1983. It reminds me of the Islanders before Lou Lamoriello hung his shingle in Nassau County.

Can an email help change the perception? At least it costs less than a Tiffany crystal apple.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/24/devils-pursuing-dougie-hamilton-with-unique-free-agency-pitch/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons