• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Strickland: Ryan Strome Drawing Trade Interest

Phil

Agree. Said it in another thread... The people who want Strome moved haven't mentioned any replacements who are better than Strome. Goes back to last year... Someone (forget who) was saying Domi was better than Strome.

It's naive to think you can put anyone with Panarin and they'll magically score more. Good players need to play with good players.

Again, the RWs on that line are scoring about 30 points. Guess Panarin only elevates the C on his line and not the RW?

Or maybe Strome is just better than people want to give credit.

Indeed. It's also a devil you know thing. We brought it up before, but Nylander comes to mind. Remember Gaborik and world-beater Erik Christensen? If it works, it works. Don't fuck with happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the thing I keep coming back to.

Strome is not all that easily replaceable. If you want someone who is stylistically different, sure, I get it, but it's not really all that easy to replace 60-ish points and chemistry with Panarin when your next two options in line are Chytil (not a C) and Rooney.

This isn't the same as Buchnevich, where you can look at Kakko and Kravtsov and say with confidence you've got an excess of similar output.

That's the thing I keep coming back to.

Strome is not all that easily replaceable. If you want someone who is stylistically different, sure, I get it, but it's not really all that easy to replace 60-ish points and chemistry with Panarin when your next two options in line are Chytil (not a C) and Rooney.

This isn't the same as Buchnevich, where you can look at Kakko and Kravtsov and say with confidence you've got an excess of similar output.

Buch was different where we had younger cheaper players who could come close to replicating his production in a year or 2, and spread over 2 lines.

When I see Danault as a Strome replacement, he's not as good offensively, same age, and will cost $6M. How's that an upgrade? Ship out Strome for Eichel and you're paying probably 7-8 if Buffalo retains (and why should they?), So we're not getting cheaper and may cost you Zib.

Plus no one watches either Buffalo or Montreal enough to say with any certainty that Eichel and Danault don't have serious flaws. Eichel doesn't win draws either, has a broken neck, and has only played a full season 1 time (81 games as a rookie).

Danault wins draws and can defend but had a whopping 4 points in 22 playoff games this year. He's around 20 points per 82 playoff games. That doesn't feel like a Strome upgrade to me. That feels like break even, and again the Devil you know.

I'm with you guys....I've been on the Strome side as well. Until his "demands" are out in the open, AND they're exceeding what we can pay, THEN I can see them making plans to move him, and for whom...

He'd probably be a tremendous deadline addition for some team.

I just keep falling back on, "If it ain't broke..." ...The guy can play, and I really don't think we should trade him and break up the magic on that line.

Buch was different where we had younger cheaper players who could come close to replicating his production in a year or 2, and spread over 2 lines.

When I see Danault as a Strome replacement, he's not as good offensively, same age, and will cost $6M. How's that an upgrade? Ship out Strome for Eichel and you're paying probably 7-8 if Buffalo retains (and why should they?), So we're not getting cheaper and may cost you Zib.

Plus no one watches either Buffalo or Montreal enough to say with any certainty that Eichel and Danault don't have serious flaws. Eichel doesn't win draws either, has a broken neck, and has only played a full season 1 time (81 games as a rookie).

Danault wins draws and can defend but had a whopping 4 points in 22 playoff games this year. He's around 20 points per 82 playoff games. That doesn't feel like a Strome upgrade to me. That feels like break even, and again the Devil you know.

Is there a reasonable 2c in need of a change of scenery that can come close enough - lets say 50 points - but adds some of those other dimensions we're looking for? Wins draws, is bigger, uses body well, can still do some of the Stromey things?

I think there are ~20 centers that meet the price range and the age range. Adjusting for weight, height, and not being awful at faceoffs removes most of them. Remove Mika, because we already have him.

We're left with...

Horvat

Hertl

Dubois

Couturier

Eriksson Ek

We're literally getting none of those players. The most "attainable" of them is Hertl, and he's going into a walk year.