• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Making Front Office Changes; Bobrov Gone, Gordie Clark Demoted?

Phil

Wahlstrom avg 2.1 shots per game

Kravtsov was at 2.6 in the KHL this season. Just over 1 s/g with the Rangers this season. I'd expect him to be near that 2.5 mark. He's a guy always looking to get open and shoot.

I mean, that's fine, but KHL numbers don't always translate to the NHL. Specifically shooting numbers.

Was Kravtsov drafted as a volume shooter? I don't recall. Wahlstrom, we know what he was. He's always been this guy, he'll likely always be this guy. Will Kravtsov?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, that's fine, but KHL numbers don't always translate to the NHL. Specifically shooting numbers.

Was Kravtsov drafted as a volume shooter? I don't recall. Wahlstrom, we know what he was. He's always been this guy, he'll likely always be this guy. Will Kravtsov?

Kravtsov is a much more well-rounded player, and an overall better offensive prospect - which he was drafted based on his offensive ceiling.

When you watch Kravtsov, how he moves around the ice, just anticipating where to go for a shot - its just like Kucherov.

he has a deadly arsenal of shots that he can put on net. Kravtsov has a very good wrist shot and snapshot. Both shots feature a quick release. With the hands to also score in tight, he’s a natural sniper.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2018/04/21/vitali-kravtsov-scouting-report-2018-nhl-draft/

I don’t know why we bother comparing Kravstov to Wahlstrom at all. Walhstrom hasn’t been particularly impressive so far in his career and Kravstov is just starting his. There’s not enough sample size to prove anything one way or another.

To say “this teams needs walhstrom” is just trying to revive the self made theory that the rangers are bad at drafting and nothing more.

The same guy who said Brady Tkchuck would be a bust now thinks Wahlstrom is better than Kravstov. Why don’t we just wait to see what happens....

Kravtsov is a much more well-rounded player, and an overall better offensive prospect - which he was drafted based on his offensive ceiling.

When you watch Kravtsov, how he moves around the ice, just anticipating where to go for a shot - its just like Kucherov.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2018/04/21/vitali-kravtsov-scouting-report-2018-nhl-draft/

"Natural sniper" isn't quite the same thing as volume shooter, though. Kovalev was a natural sniper, too. He'd pick every single one of his shots. Viktor Arvidsson just peppers goalies with everything. That's what I'm getting at. Is Kravtsov actually a volume shooter, or is he a more selective sniper with a "arsenal of shots?"

I think I mentioned Hoffman in the offseason post, if they are looking for a 1-trick pony. But is that really helping the team?

With the plethora of young, skilled talent, combined with Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, possibly Buchnevich, you should have volume by numbers. They shouldnt need to get that.

I think a lot comes back to leadership in the lockerroom and a strong system implemented by the new coaching staff.

I don’t know why we bother comparing Kravstov to Wahlstrom at all. Walhstrom hasn’t been particularly impressive so far in his career and Kravstov is just starting his. There’s not enough sample size to prove anything one way or another.

To say “this teams needs walhstrom” is just trying to revive the self made theory that the rangers are bad at drafting and nothing more.

The same guy who said Brady Tkchuck would be a bust now thinks Wahlstrom is better than Kravstov. Why don’t we just wait to see what happens....

Let's clarify since your post is totally baseless and mostly made up of putting words in my mouth...and then you called me "that guy" and didn't have the stones to just quote my post.

They're both just starting their careers, so what?Can't we compare playing styles?

Did I say Wahlstrom is "better" than Kravtsov or did I say he's more what this team needs because he's a shoot first player and the Rangers don't shoot enough?

And BTW, Brady Tkachuk is a 4th overall who D+3 is currently a 45 point player who hasn't statistically progressed year over year since coming into the league. Now I don't watch Ottawa and I doubt anyone else does, but if the Rangers drafted in the top 5 and netted a 40 point forward... I don't think anyone would be happy with that.

I was low on Wahlstrom and high on Kravtsov.

I'm still high on Kravtsov, but I can now see what got people excited about Wahlstrom. He plays heavy, he's an asshole, and he obviously understands how to score. He made tremendous strides this year, and can be a force, good for him. I'd rank them as a coin flip between the two right now, but I agree with the sentiment that a guy like Wahlstrom is what we lack, where as Kravtsov, we seem to have guys like that. Kakko, for instance.

I'm still high on Kravtsov, but I can now see what got people excited about Wahlstrom. He plays heavy, he's an asshole, and he obviously understands how to score. He made tremendous strides this year, and can be a force, good for him. I'd rank them as a coin flip between the two right now, but I agree with the sentiment that a guy like Wahlstrom is what we lack, where as Kravtsov, we seem to have guys like that. Kakko, for instance.

Bingo. I don't see Kravtsov being that much different stylistically than Buch. but we already have Buch and he's already productive.

Where's the Wahlstrom-like object in our system? That's the thing we lack. Big, has an edge, plays in straight lines, willing to shoot.

That's kind of what I'm getting at/what I see. I might be wrong about Kravtsov, but he strikes me as much of the same. Another Buchnevich, basically. Buch grew to become the feisty player he was this season, but from his draft to basically now, he was a finesse guy. Even now, he's an effective PKer and a quality scorer, but he's not fooling anyone when the game gets really physical. Being willing to get dummied isn't really the kind of toughness we're talking about here.

What I saw in Wahlstrom that made me want him so much was the stuff you can't teach. Size, namely, not to mention knowing how to use it.

Let's clarify since your post is totally baseless and mostly made up of putting words in my mouth...and then you called me "that guy" and didn't have the stones to just quote my post.

They're both just starting their careers, so what?Can't we compare playing styles?

Did I say Wahlstrom is "better" than Kravtsov or did I say he's more what this team needs because he's a shoot first player and the Rangers don't shoot enough?

And BTW, Brady Tkachuk is a 4th overall who D+3 is currently a 45 point player who hasn't statistically progressed year over year since coming into the league. Now I don't watch Ottawa and I doubt anyone else does, but if the Rangers drafted in the top 5 and netted a 40 point forward... I don't think anyone would be happy with that.

Ah yes, it's mighty brave to quote someone... you saw my post, didn't you?

You're directly comparing Kravstov to the guy you wanted in the draft and the Rangers passed on. Coincidence? Is it also a coincidence that you've been going on about how the Rangers blow at drafting in recent days? C'mon, we're all smart enough to know you're just pushing your narrative here. It's not like this is the first time you've compared the two players.

My point remains: it's too early to tell who these players are.

Ah yes, it's mighty brave to quote someone... you saw my post, didn't you?

You're directly comparing Kravstov to the guy you wanted in the draft and the Rangers passed on. Coincidence? Is it also a coincidence that you've been going on about how the Rangers blow at drafting in recent days? C'mon, we're all smart enough to know you're just pushing your narrative here. It's not like this is the first time you've compared the two players.

My point remains: it's too early to tell who these players are.

Wait, so the team needs something...We all agree on what it is....And Wahlstrom has it....Yet Kravtsov is more of what we already have...So is it a coincidence I'd rather have Wahlstom? No it's not a coincidence, it's common sense.

It's not just the high volume shooting, it's the stuff you can't teach. Wahlstrom has balls. He goes to the net. He plays like an asshole. Because he can. Because he's 6'2, 200+.

idk, I dont really see it like that. Islanders play with a mentality. The only time I notice him is on the PP.

Again we only saw Kravtsov get a cup of tea with the Rangers and I’m not saying he is going to be ovechkin but I did see him throwing some body around and going to the dirty areas at times. All I know is that I can’t wait to see more of him next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idk, I dont really see it like that. Islanders play with a mentality. The only time I notice him is on the PP.

Sure, that's probably a significant factor here. But when you ask a guy who does it naturally to do it, they do it without a problem. Kravtsov is actaully really fucking big. He's 6'3, but he doesn't play anything close to it.

Sure, that's probably a significant factor here. But when you ask a guy who does it naturally to do it, they do it without a problem. Kravtsov is actaully really fucking big. He's 6'3, but he doesn't play anything close to it.

He definitely played with a bit more grit in the KHL. But he's much closer to a modern Buchnevich (adding those aspects) than a 21 yo Buchnevich.

For me, once you have these skill guys (who are all huge), when the team has that mentality, it's easy for everyone to naturally start playing that way. I think with Quinn moved on, we wont see guys sprinting every where. You'll see guys starting to stand up guys on the wall, clog that NZ a bit more. You'll naturally see a more physical team with a system - as I mentioned. Then, bring in a leader for the boys, and that mentality grows. IDK if it was the Covid & Kreider connection that really failed here, or what it is. But that type of mentality you see from the Islanders, even the TB guys, the relentlessness to get the puck, that's contagious. You start playing like that, winning, guys feel good, confidence is high, and you just have that feeling you can go dominate guys in every aspect of the game. They didnt have any of that the last 3 seasons. Missing that Culture.

• Like 2

He definitely played with a bit more grit in the KHL. But he's much closer to a modern Buchnevich (adding those aspects) than a 21 yo Buchnevich.

For me, once you have these skill guys (who are all huge), when the team has that mentality, it's easy for everyone to naturally start playing that way. I think with Quinn moved on, we wont see guys sprinting every where. You'll see guys starting to stand up guys on the wall, clog that NZ a bit more. You'll naturally see a more physical team with a system - as I mentioned. Then, bring in a leader for the boys, and that mentality grows. IDK if it was the Covid & Kreider connection that really failed here, or what it is. But that type of mentality you see from the Islanders, even the TB guys, the relentlessness to get the puck, that's contagious. You start playing like that, winning, guys feel good, confidence is high, and you just have that feeling you can go dominate guys in every aspect of the game. They didnt have any of that the last 3 seasons. Missing that Culture.

100%

Wait, so the team needs something...We all agree on what it is....And Wahlstrom has it....Yet Kravtsov is more of what we already have...So is it a coincidence I'd rather have Wahlstom? No it's not a coincidence, it's common sense.

The only thing that's common sense is that Kravstov has played 20 games in his career. We have no idea how either of these players will turn out and comparing them at this stage of their careers is pretty pointless.

You can keep pretending you're not pushing this narrative that you laid out 30 posts ago, but... you are. There's no chance you could honestly look at the Rangers right now and say, "you know what they really need is Oliver Walhsrom." Like, c'mon lol. There are a million shoot-first players in the league, most of which are miles better than Wahlstrom. You're trying to make the point that the Rangers fucked up in the draft.

• Like 1

The only thing that's common sense is that Kravstov has played 20 games in his career. We have no idea how either of these players will turn out and comparing them at this stage of their careers is pretty pointless.
I didn't bring up Wahlstrom in this tread, so I'm ignoring the rest of your post because it has nothing to do with anything.

The length of either player's career has nothing to do with playing style. Kravtsov played 20 NHL games, Wahlstrom played 44. It's irrelevant to the discussion.

But when you have a lethal shot that is constantly coming from the perimeter , not the slot, not on a drive to the net , or any dirty areas.... ...

I need to see more dirt and movement towards the net from Kravtsov before I get on board. I hate seeing shots from behind the circles and from along the boards. Where can I find a shot tracker to see where his shots were coming from?

I'm glad Kravstov turned everything around after such a bad first year with the organization. It shows he's not the prissy bitch I thought he was. He looks and plays small though. Hopefully that changes as he grows more as a player.

I didn't bring up Wahlstrom in this tread, so I'm ignoring the rest of your post because it has nothing to do with anything.

The length of either player's career has nothing to do with playing style. Kravtsov played 20 NHL games, Wahlstrom played 44. It's irrelevant to the discussion.

uhhhh....

I don't agree at all, every team drafts busts but they don't always leave a players who's (A) organizational need and (B) a clearly superior player on the board.

McIlrath aside, Clark left too many drafts with absolutely not enough NHL talent. Starting in 2008, the first draft Clarke ran after coming on in July 2007, the Rangers drafted:

3 NHLers in '08 (DZ, Stepan, Weise)

1 in '09 (Kreider)

1 on '10 (Fast)

1 in '11 (Miller)

1.5 in '12 (Skjei and Nieves)

Then they went a long time with no 1sts or seconds and did well enough with guys like Buch, Duclair, Shesty...Then it goes right back off a cliff with Lias, still debatable drafting Krav over Wahlstrom (although I feel better about it than I did on draft day...Or a year ago, TBH)...then we start getting gifts with Kakko and Laf.

Clarke's legacy is pretty spotty IMO.

Was it just me or did Kravtsov play hard and fast his first 5 games or so? Then he slowly got Quinnified and played with less enthusiasm and speed. I'm really hoping the new coaching staff lets the talent show their talent without worrying too much about breaking a coach rule.

uhhhh....

That was a week ago LOL. Come on, dude. Do better. Someone else brought him up last night. You have an issue, go after him about it.

Also note the part your forgot to bold.

(although I feel better about [Kravtsov] than I did on draft day...Or a year ago, TBH)