• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Eichel: "I have a lot of thinking to do in this offseason."

Phil

That quote will lead headlines because it's the antithesis of the hockey player mindset, but from the context of the whole interview, he's talking about his injury. It seems he wants to get surgery and Buffalo is not allowing that to happen. So he's trying to look out for his health and his career, hence the "I'm only 24 years old" line.
  • Like 1

What kind of asshole org wouldn't let their player get needed surgery? Commitment is a two way street.

I don't think this justifies, it, but if I'm looking from a team perspective...Could be as simple as they don't want him on their payroll while missing time. They could be saying, "We're not going to have you sitting out rehabbing on our dime/roster so that you can come back and ask for a trade...Let's get the deal done and go be injured for your new team."

Even as I typed that, I don't think that's the way it works, or that makes it any better. Just pure speculation on a "what if".

I don't think this justifies, it, but if I'm looking from a team perspective...Could be as simple as they don't want him on their payroll while missing time. They could be saying, "We're not going to have you sitting out rehabbing on our dime/roster so that you can come back and ask for a trade...Let's get the deal done and go be injured for your new team."

Even as I typed that, I don't think that's the way it works, or that makes it any better. Just pure speculation on a "what if".

But if that is the case, who is going to trade for him if he's not healthy, unless it is heavily discounted? Seems better to let him get the surgery, rehab, and watch his trade value return.

Friedge provided some info on this from the CBA:

Link:

CBA § 34.4 amended to add the following subsection: A Player is entitled to obtain a second medical opinion from a physician(s) of his choice who is not on the Second Medical Opinion List and has not received advance approval from the Club. The costs of such opinion shall be borne by the Player. Upon the Player’s request, the Club shall provide the Player with all relevant medical information from the Player’s records to provide to the Player’s physician. The Player shall provide all such relevant records to the Player’s physician. The Club Physician shall determine the diagnosis or course of treatment (including the timing thereof) after considering any report or other records received from the Player’s physician and after giving due consideration to their recommendations.

But if that is the case, who is going to trade for him if he's not healthy, unless it is heavily discounted? Seems better to let him get the surgery, rehab, and watch his trade value return.

Yep, but that's a long process and road back, likely 2 more seasons in Buffalo to do that? Maybe?

Friedge provided some info on this from the CBA:

Link:

Wonder how this went down with McDavid when they wanted to do his knee and he opted for rehab....And then went on to make the league his bitch.

Yep, but that's a long process and road back, likely 2 more seasons in Buffalo to do that? Maybe?

It is my understanding that Buffalo really needs to deal him by summer '22 (July 1st), when he will be owed a $7.5M bonus and the NMC for the rest of his contract kicks in. Maybe they don't think he'd be ready in time next season to show he's healthy and rehabbed.

In any event, it would start to make more sense if there's a trade sooner rather than later if it will happen. Whoever gets him will probably want to approve surgery right away so he's got time to rehab and recover to be back next season.