• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

"No Question" Rangers to Check in on Pierre-Luc Dubois

LindG1000

Aside from the questions as to whether Laine will perform for Torts, who probably won't be there next year, this looks like a good deal for Columbus. I think Laine for PLD one up would have been a good deal for Columbus, and they got more.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woof. That's....a lot for PLD. A lot a lot. He's a good enough player, but even 1:1 with Laine...that would have been too much, IMO.

Laine and Torts is a question mark, but Torts has had his fair share of offensively gifted stars that he had to work with. I think he'll figure it out. Roslovic is an underrated piece here - he's precisely the sort of guy Torts would figure out turning into a top 6 player.

What a hilarious bit of schadenfreude for the GMs, though. Two players looking for bigger stages get swapped to equally "get me the fuck out of here" places. Probably not the end of the saga for either of these two.

Some players overrate the value of playing in major markets. Very few of 32 NHL teams are in major markets. The Jets are the biggest thing in Winnipeg and are followed by everyone there. Hockey and the Rangers are followed by a very small portion of New Yorkers. Do players want to play where they can get good opera?

Some players overrate the value of playing in major markets. Very few of 32 NHL teams are in major markets. The Jets are the biggest thing in Winnipeg and are followed by everyone there. Hockey and the Rangers are followed by a very small portion of New Yorkers. Do players want to play where they can get good opera?

If you're asking if hockey player want to play in NYC, the answer is yes.

Being a millionaire in Columbus or Winnipeg is not even close to being a millionaire in NYC. And aside from making MORE money on sponsorships they also have much higher visibility here. The average New Yorker might not know who you are, but you're on national TV, playing on one of the biggest stages in the world for your sport.

I'm sure it's fine being a rock star in Winnipeg but Winnipeg basically offers 1/10 of what NYC offers, if that.

If you're asking if hockey player want to play in NYC, the answer is yes.

Being a millionaire in Columbus or Winnipeg is not even close to being a millionaire in NYC. And aside from making MORE money on sponsorships they also have much higher visibility here. The average New Yorker might not know who you are, but you're on national TV, playing on one of the biggest stages in the world for your sport.

I'm sure it's fine being a rock star in Winnipeg but Winnipeg basically offers 1/10 of what NYC offers, if that.

I'd imagine that's a positive with playing in New York and other big markets for most guys. I mean, what do you think happens if Laine, Wheeler and Scheifele wants to head out for a couple of cold ones in "downtown" Winnipeg on a friday night? They probably wouldn't be able to move for fans wanting pictures and autographs. Later in the evening they'll probably have to deal with drunken locals giving hints and tips on improved breakouts and zone entries. In a big market you can live the life of a superstar without the hassle that comes with it. I did a job with Zuccarello 4 or 5 years ago, and we met him and Kreider in a hotel bar (the Dream downtown iiirc) on a friday night to plan the shoot. Not a single person recognized them. Unless you're some weird attention seeker that must be a big plus.

If NYC is a shell, imagine what Winnipeg or Columbus are like.

but i think that's what he's saying...

Maybe guys are more hesitant to go to big cities, and would be more comfortable playing in a smaller city like Columbus.