• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

My Case for Signing Strome AND Kreider

ThirtyONE

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was eagerly awaiting your response to this thread and you left me somewhat disappointed! I thought for sure you were going to say something along the lines of "Strome's ok, but Kreider needs to go!!!" Of course the way you would have put it would have been much more eloquent than that but you get my meaning.

Once again, we're looking how Kreider is playing these last few games and talking about how good he's looked and how tough he would be to replace. I'd imagine in a few weeks, when this latest hot streak concludes, we'll be saying that he's not worth any type of contract unless he takes a hometown discount. I've always been a big Kreider fan-boy but I'm still leaning towards trading him. I just don't want picks back though. I want some young piece that's not quite in the NHL but not too far away.

As far as Strome goes, I think a lot of people here are forgetting how good he was for the Rangers down the stretch last year. He was arguably the best forward the last ten games or so. Coupled with what he's done this year I think he's a no-brainer to re-sign for the right deal.

Hey hey Kev!! The main point of that post is that I'm trying my best to see past this season, and guys like Kreider, Staal, and the rest of the old guard, who will most likely be history by the end of next year. That's going to free up a shit load of cap space for 2021-2022. All those buyouts come off the books as well.

Thing is, I don't think JD and Gorton wanna get tied up into paying guys like Kreider long term and big bucks, when in 2 years they can go out get a real impact Free Agent like we did with Panarin. Once our salary cap woes are done, I think we're going to see a different type of franchise than we're used to.

The jury is still out on Strome a little. I do like what he's been doing and I gotta admit, he and Bread work really well together. Strome was once a high first round pick and maybe now he's coming into his own. I hope so. I'm really curious to see how he plays the rest of the way. I don't want to put too much on Chytil right now, but I think he's the guy that's going to be our 2C eventually.

Paying Strome to be a 3C or 4C would be great, but we can't go crazy on him, as it may handcuff us down the road.

Again man, this is just me thinking...I'm no GM by any means!!!! :rofl:

...But I do love this time of the year before the Trade deadline!

Happy New Year man!!!

When you keep on trading established players for picks or prospects for more than about two years, the rebuild becomes self perpetuating as the first wave of prospects starts becoming due for generous contracts and you start talking about trading them. ADA is a case in point.

I used to follow the Wild, and they were always talking about how they were eschewing the present and big contracts in favor of the future, but as soon as the fruit of their youth movement started becoming due for big contracts, they got rid of Burns and Gaborik. Great results.

My point is that the established players for picks or prospects phase of the rebuild can only last about two years. Then you have to move on to the next phase.

• Like 1

Depends on the price. He'll be 27 next year. I wouldn't be opposed to 6 years at $4m.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If he takes 4 mil, I'm not against that. Strome would be a good 3 or 4C, and I don't think 4 million breaks the balloon...even for 6 years.

I wish he'd use that shot I saw the other night in Toronto a LOT MORE!!! Holy good shit, that was a missile!! :rofl:

If he takes 4 mil, I'm not against that. Strome would be a good 3 or 4C, and I don't think 4 million breaks the balloon...even for 6 years.

I wish he'd use that shot I saw the other night in Toronto a LOT MORE!!! Holy good shit, that was a missile!! :rofl:

Huh? He's pacing almost a PPG....

But what if he doesnt play with Panarin next season. or the season after.

Yeah, that's my point..

I think Chytil is the guy to play in the top 6 going forward. I don't see Strome as THAT guy.

Zibby has #1 on lockdown, and Chytil is going to be the #2C...or at least he's trending that way pretty well. Strome would be a pretty solid 3C, and if we can nail down a 3C that can win draws, leads by example, play a solid 2 way game, and contribute 60+ points a year, that's a winner in my book....especially at 4 million a year? Oh yeah. that would be pretty good.

Then hopefully he's playing with an improved Kakko and Kravstov.

Strome is having a career year with Panarin. But Panarin is also having a career year with Strome.

No offense to Strome, and not to downplay what he's doing this season, but I'm not too worried about finding a productive center for Panarin.

It's all about the cost. Avoid the Danger-zone. Need to be extremely careful paying complimentary and role players more than $4m a season... and I dont see him taking less than that, even on a long-term deal.

Then hopefully he's playing with an improved Kakko and Kravstov.

Strome is having a career year with Panarin. But Panarin is also having a career year with Strome.

Strome has also played with on teams with Tavares and McDavid/Draisaitl and never produced like this. I think its pretty clear they compliment each other well and have some special chemistry. All the more reason Strome might be willing to take a team friendly deal to keep himself in this situation.

Why would you break them up?

That'd be like having the Norris Trophy winner and moving him to forward.

We may not have a choice, King. Come the dog days of the season, and some team's 2nd line center goes down, or if a team wants to shore up for a long playoff run, that team may just make us an offer we simply can't refuse; be it a solid prospect, current player or high draft pick.

In the mode the Rangers are in right now, I don't think that's a bad return for a guy like Strome, and it's certainly better than losing him for nothing...alla John Tavares.

Centers swing a lot of weight...especially experienced ones. The Rangers aren't really going to be a playoff contender for at least a season or 2 as I see it. So I can see them entertaining deals for Strome.

No offense to Strome, and not to downplay what he's doing this season, but I'm not too worried about finding a productive center for Panarin.

It's all about the cost. Avoid the Danger-zone. Need to be extremely careful paying complimentary and role players more than $4m a season... and I dont see him taking less than that, even on a long-term deal.

Role Player?

giphy.gif

He's 3rd among forwards in TOI, kills penalties, plays pp, and is the teams best faceoff guy. Panarin is also on pace to break his career high by 23 points with Strome as his center.

We may not have a choice, King. Come the dog days of the season, and some team's 2nd line center goes down, or if a team wants to shore up for a long playoff run, that team may just make us an offer we simply can't refuse; be it a solid prospect, current player or high draft pick.

In the mode the Rangers are in right now, I don't think that's a bad return for a guy like Strome, and it's certainly better than losing him for nothing...alla John Tavares.

Centers swing a lot of weight...especially experienced ones. The Rangers aren't really going to be a playoff contender for at least a season or 2 as I see it. So I can see them entertaining deals for Strome.

He's a RFA. At the worst he goes to arbitration and gets a 1 year deal.

I think 4M is a touch low for the cutoff on complementary/role players. Maybe a few years ago. With cap increases, I see it more as 4.5-5M which is where I would suspect Strome would be at (4-5 years length), but I have always agreed with your sentiment of avoiding danger zone contracts. I don't view Strome @ 4.5-5M as a danger zone contract given what he has brought to the team. It would always be tradeable, so I'd probably be more concerned with what trade protection is required to sign him. I suspect he'd value trade protection more than extra $, given how much he likes it in NY.

Chris Kreider @ 7M is the guy I see as a danger zone contract. He's not a line driver and that kind of cap space being clogged up is tough to take when he's not producing, which has been too often in his career. That cap hit also makes it very difficult to move, and on top of whatever trade protection you'd have to give him.

If it were up to me right now, I'd be keeping Strome because he makes sense cap wise and plays a position of need. And I'd be letting Kreider go.

ahh good catch King! I thought he was a UFA....my mistake.

I've really liked his game this season, and he's been very useful in many aspects of the game. I think the Rangers would rather see Chytil move up and grab hold of that 2C spot though. Strome has a lot of use, but I think like Josh stated before it's all based on cost at this point.

If Strome takes 5 years/4 million or a 6 years/3.5 million.... maybe?

No "No Trade Clauses" though!

ahh good catch King! I thought he was a UFA....my mistake.

I've really liked his game this season, and he's been very useful in many aspects of the game. I think the Rangers would rather see Chytil move up and grab hold of that 2C spot though. Strome has a lot of use, but I think like Josh stated before it's all based on cost at this point.

If Strome takes 5 years/4 million or a 6 years/3.5 million.... maybe?

No "No Trade Clauses" though!

Here's the thing though. Right now we're talking about signing a soon to be 27 year old Strome to be the #2 center. In 2022 we're going to be talking about resigning a soon to be 29 year old Zibanejad. That is when 23 year old Chytil steps up. That Zib contract is the scary one because that will be the Hank deal. "Thanks for all you've done, here's $11+ million per year until you're 36."

Here's the thing though. Right now we're talking about signing a soon to be 27 year old Strome to be the #2 center. In 2022 we're going to be talking about resigning a soon to be 29 year old Zibanejad. That is when 23 year old Chytil steps up. That Zib contract is the scary one because that will be the Hank deal. "Thanks for all you've done, here's $11+ million per year until you're 36."

Yeah man, good call!! We have to see where Zibby is at when he reaches 29. His concussion history may be the deciding factor on that one. But also by then, all the buyouts (Girardi, and Shatty) will be done as well. We should be having other players that can step up, or be acquired if we need. ;)

Role Player?

giphy.gif

He's 3rd among forwards in TOI, kills penalties, plays pp, and is the teams best faceoff guy. Panarin is also on pace to break his career high by 23 points with Strome as his center.

Thanks for making sense here.

Strome is a very good player who's playing great hockey right now, and no one is suggesting paying him a P/G player. He scored at a 40 point pace last year after coming over which is low-end 2nd line, high-end third line production. So at worst, that's what you're getting if he were to move away from Panarin.

The obvious candidates to go are Kreider and Buch amongst forwards, provided Kravtsov gets his shit together you're looking at tandems of Zib/Kakko and Strome/Panarin next year if they do the smart thing and spread the offense around, giving Chytil time to marinate on the third line. If you need to see him in the top 6, move Strome to RW with Panrin and Chytil.

You can't talk about "danger zone" contracts when you see who's coming off the books and who we don't have to pay big money to. Let's say Kakko and Fox both bust out...You're still bridging Chytil, don't have to do shit with Andersson and it's unlikely Kravtsov does anything between now and 2nd contract to do anything other than bridge.

By the time you have to shell out major dough, Strome's 5 year deal will be expired.

In the grand scheme, this is fine. I see Trouba's current deal is way more detrimental to the team because it's for 8 years and he's actually blocking some players. Strome isn't blocking anyone and won't, because he can play any role you want. All 3 forwards positions, won't hurt you defensively, PP, PK, 3 on 3, great in the room.

They'd actually be pretty stupid not to sign him to a realistic deal based on what he is and not how he's playing right now. I'd absolutely do a $5x5 for him.

Thanks for making sense here.

Strome is a very good player who's playing great hockey right now, and no one is suggesting paying him a P/G player. He scored at a 40 point pace last year after coming over which is low-end 2nd line, high-end third line production. So at worst, that's what you're getting if he were to move away from Panarin.

The obvious candidates to go are Kreider and Buch amongst forwards, provided Kravtsov gets his shit together you're looking at tandems of Zib/Kakko and Strome/Panarin next year if they do the smart thing and spread the offense around, giving Chytil time to marinate on the third line. If you need to see him in the top 6, move Strome to RW with Panrin and Chytil.

You can't talk about "danger zone" contracts when you see who's coming off the books and who we don't have to pay big money to. Let's say Kakko and Fox both bust out...You're still bridging Chytil, don't have to do shit with Andersson and it's unlikely Kravtsov does anything between now and 2nd contract to do anything other than bridge.

By the time you have to shell out major dough, Strome's 5 year deal will be expired.

In the grand scheme, this is fine. I see Trouba's current deal is way more detrimental to the team because it's for 8 years and he's actually blocking some players. Strome isn't blocking anyone and won't, because he can play any role you want. All 3 forwards positions, won't hurt you defensively, PP, PK, 3 on 3, great in the room.

They'd actually be pretty stupid not to sign him to a realistic deal based on what he is and not how he's playing right now. I'd absolutely do a $5x5 for him.

He’s certainly playing himself into a nice payday and into giving the Rangers a very hard decision in whether to keep him around.

At the right price it deserves a very long look

He’s certainly playing himself into a nice payday and into giving the Rangers a very hard decision in whether to keep him around.

At the right price it deserves a very long look

Its not really a tough decision though. If he won't sign a 5x5ish deal, let him go to arbitration. He'll be here next year while Chytil gets another year to grow, and if he still won't sign a now 4 year extension you can trade him at next year's deadline.

Role Player?

giphy.gif

I was calling Strome a complimentary player, and lumped overpaying such players with overpaying role players. Sorry for the confusion.