• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lundqvist

Albatrosss

Lundqvist is one of the greatest Rangers of all time period.

He's been the only truly elite Ranger on this team in the duration of his time on Broadway. If they had given him the help he needed he'd have as strong a shot as anyone at a couple of cups.

I will never understand the grief he's getting from a section of the support.

He's been the only truly elite Ranger on this team in the duration of his time on Broadway. If they had given him the help he needed he'd have as strong a shot as anyone at a couple of cups.

I agree with every word. I encourage other posters to assent.

Lundqvist is a great player. There was a period on BSBH where Lundqvist was approaching deity status, he was omnipotent, and could do no wrong. During this period, for some users, Lundqvist was beyond reproach - anyone on the roster could be criticized for having a bad game, but if a user pointed out a soft goal, or any criticism of Lundqvist's play, there was a core group of users that could be counted on to spring to his defense.

I never understood the double standard.

Rangers management gave Lundqvist a non-move clause and lucrative contract, which impacted team structure (who could and could not be signed). Lundqvist rewarded team management by excellent play, and leading the Rangers on several deep playoff runs.

In the twilight of Lundqvist's career, it is possible (and worthy of hope) that he has one more deep playoff run in him, and the Rangers will finally add another Cup.

I get the deification of players. Messier approaches deity status for me. I love Leetch and Beukeboom and Tikkanen, and rate them higher than I should. I rate Doug Gilmour and Jarome Iginla and Ray Bourque and Steve Yzerman higher that I should, and am quick to defend against legitimate criticism and short-comings in their game. But I recognize that for my favorite players I am apt to focus on strengths and minimize shortcomings, and mentally try to acknowledge when another user has a valid point about one of my favorite players, even if I do not choose to reply.

No, he's not. Not by a longshot.

However, I will admit there is probably a higher post count dedicated to debating him due to 1. tenure and 2. to say anything negative is a lightning rod.

The only things I've seen over the years are 4 points and I wouldn't even call them criticism, and a few can be said of a lot of goalies.

1. Can't play puck.

2. No glove hand.

3. Shooters have him figured out 1 on 1 (just take a wrist shot, don't deke)

4. Makes some saves that he "shouldn't" be able to make, but also lets in some pucks that shouldn't go in.

Where's the lie?

There is one. That's why I don't get how he's the "most criticized" Ranger ever. There are like 5-10 guys on the list who people talked more shit about, just in recent memory.

Gaby

Dubi

Cally

Girardi

MDZ

Jagr

Nylander

Going back to Nedved...

There is one. That's why I don't get how he's the "most criticized" Ranger ever. There are like 5-10 guys on the list who people talked more shit about, just in recent memory.

Gaby

Dubi

Cally

Girardi

MDZ

Jagr

Nylander

Going back to Nedved...

“BSBH history”. Most of those guys were already gone, or soon to be shipped out after the board started

No, he's not. Not by a longshot.

However, I will admit there is probably a higher post count dedicated to debating him due to 1. tenure and 2. to say anything negative is a lightning rod.

The only things I've seen over the years are 4 points and I wouldn't even call them criticism, and a few can be said of a lot of goalies.

1. Can't play puck.

2. No glove hand.

3. Shooters have him figured out 1 on 1 (just take a wrist shot, don't deke)

4. Makes some saves that he "shouldn't" be able to make, but also lets in some pucks that shouldn't go in.

Certainly the softies, also the contract, the aging, the hair, pad size, going down too early, playoff performance, no cup, staring at defensemen, bad teammate, training in Sweden for the summer, there were threads about his apartment choice

Certainly the softies, also the contract, the aging, the hair, pad size, going down too early, playoff performance, no cup, staring at defensemen, bad teammate, training in Sweden for the summer, there were threads about his apartment choice

I think there's a big difference between "observation" and criticism. Somethings are just point of fact (pad size), and half the stuff on this list is a big eye roll (hair, apartment? What?)

Richter is the greatest Ranger goalie of all time. So it all depends on where you slot Richter in the pantheon.

Richter had a stretch from 1994 through the 1995 World Cup that was off the charts. But other than that, he was mostly....pretty good. Also the guy that blew a 60 foot wrister in the 1992 ECF vs. the Pens, which was unforgivable. And gave up a late goal in game 7 of the ECF that made "Matteau" necessary.

Lundqvist has had a career like Tony Esposito. And the lack of a Cup hurts him in these kinds of conversations. The cap isn't his fault, but doesn't change his contract being a disaster right now.

If my life depending on winning game 7 of a Stanley Cup Final, I'm choosing among (in alphabetical order): Brodeur, Hasek, Roy.

If my team is an underdog and we are going to get shelled I'm choosing among (in alphabetical order): Hasek, Joseph, Roy.

Given 2 even squads of skaters and a seven game playoff series... 1994 Richter at his best for team Blue, peak Lundqvist at his best for team Silver...

I'm betting on team Blue. Without hesitation.

Team White could have Vanbiesbrouck, team Gold could have Esposito. That's a tough call for me since I didn't see Esposito. I'd go with team White since I've seen Vanbiesbrouck.

In the final, I've got team Blue over team White.

Tough four team tournament to handicap.

As much as I hate to type this, if I have one game I have to win, I'm picking Billy Smith. A nasty miserable douche on the ice(and by most accounts an affable Irish guy with a few pints in him), but he won more big games than anyone else.

Richter had a stretch from 1994 through the 1995 World Cup that was off the charts. But other than that, he was mostly....pretty good. Also the guy that blew a 60 foot wrister in the 1992 ECF vs. the Pens, which was unforgivable. And gave up a late goal in game 7 of the ECF that made "Matteau" necessary.

Lundqvist has had a career like Tony Esposito. And the lack of a Cup hurts him in these kinds of conversations. The cap isn't his fault, but doesn't change his contract being a disaster right now.

His contract is of no consequence right now.

I mean, it would be practical if they were able to move him and make space for Shesty and Georgiev next season, but his contract isn't stopping the Rangers from making the moves they need to make.

As much as I hate to type this, if I have one game I have to win, I'm picking Billy Smith. A nasty miserable douche on the ice(and by most accounts an affable Irish guy with a few pints in him), but he won more big games than anyone else.

Too bad we can't count Tretiak. If I have one game to stake my life on, I want Tretiak in there, Bugg! I always thought he was one of the best goalies ever.

The Ranger-Oilers walked into the locker room with credibility/currency because they had won cups. You can argue that if you have superstars (Crosby/Malkin, Gretzky/Messier, etc) it's easier for a goalie to win a Stanley Cup. But there is never an easy road to 16 wins. Look at Vasilevskiy and the Lightning - anything less than a Stanley Cup, and this year is a failure.

https://records.nhl.com/records/goaltender-records/wins/most-wins-career

no.3 Roberto Luongo. Luongo is never mentioned among the all-time greats. How different does his career look with one cup? Multiple cups?

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/09/12/roberto-luongo-florida-panthers-stanely-cup

Updated stats for goalie from nhl.com

https://records.nhl.com/records/goaltender-records/wins/most-wins-career

additional stats highest career playoff save %

https://records.nhl.com/records/playoff-goaltender-records/save-percentage-players-who-debuted-in-1955-56-or-later/highest-save-percentage-career-playoff

playoff GAA

https://records.nhl.com/records/playoff-goaltender-records/goals-against-average/lowest-goals-against-average-career-playoff

most 30 or more wins career

https://records.nhl.com/records/goaltender-records/win-plateaus/most-30-or-more-win-seasons

1. Brodeur 2. Roy 3. Lundqvist 4. Fleury 5. Belfour 6. Esposito 7. Luongo 8.Dryden 9.Kiprusoff 10.Rinne 11.Hasek 12. Miller 13.Plante 14. Joseph 15.Turco 16.Crawford 17.Quick

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/09/12/roberto-luongo-florida-panthers-stanely-cup

'He's also quick to point out that he's among the NHL career loss leaders, with 376, 21 shy of tying Brodeur for the league record.

''Take that, Marty,'' Luongo shouted...

When the Chicago Cubs won the World Series and gave a ring to Steve Bartman - who achieved infamy in the 2003 playoffs by snaring a foul ball against the Florida Marlins - Luongo pointed out that he even trails Bartman in that category now.'

Archived