• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tom Wilson Ejected After Crushing Open Ice Hit on Oskar Sundqvist; Suspended 20 Games

Phil

Keeping your head up is more than just seeing a check. And you'll always see me complain when guys put themselves in vulnerable positions.

It's very important to one's career and livelihood to do this. Things happen on the ice, its a fast game - mistakes, accidental contact, head shots, etc. Limit it as much as possible. But, I am 100% against the trend of staring at your stick. Eventually you are going to get caught, whether its Wilson or Mike Keane.

I'm sure there will some suspension. I think this is an over-reaction because it's Wilson. If Smith threw this hit, "we'd" be looking at this differently.

I agree

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keeping your head up is more than just seeing a check. And you'll always see me complain when guys put themselves in vulnerable positions.

It's very important to one's career and livelihood to do this. Things happen on the ice, its a fast game - mistakes, accidental contact, head shots, etc. Limit it as much as possible. But, I am 100% against the trend of staring at your stick. Eventually you are going to get caught, whether its Wilson or Mike Keane.

I'm sure there will some suspension. I think this is an over-reaction because it's Wilson. If Smith threw this hit, "we'd" be looking at this differently.

I don?t think ?we? would because the NHL has been very, very clear on headshots.

Wilson, who I really like, has to be smarter. You simply can?t steam in like that any longer. Especially if your name is Tom Wilson.

I 100% agree with the first bit.

Holy shit. That's probably a bit harsh, but they've thrown the book at him several times now and he hasn't learned.

I don't think it's harsh at all. I think it's right on the money. He needs to fucking learn. This hits him where it matters most. The wallet.

Mobile link:

I don't think it's harsh at all. I think it's right on the money. He needs to fucking learn. This hits him where it matters most. The wallet.

Mobile link:

not really, his contract has a $5 million signing bonus, his base salary is $1.1 million, so he's basically losing 20% from the $1.1 base.

I think he got 20 games for stupidity. No reason to make a hit like that in the last pre-season game, he has nothing to prove, and it was vs. a meaningless St. Louis Blues team where their is no rivalry.

not really, his contract has a $5 million signing bonus, his base salary is $1.1 million, so he's basically losing 20% from the $1.1 base.

I think he got 20 games for stupidity. No reason to make a hit like that in the last pre-season game, he has nothing to prove, and it was vs. a meaningless St. Louis Blues team where their is no rivalry.

Nope. Its based off of average annual salary. $5,166,666

My guess - he will grieve, be able to play during the appeal process (tonight), then the suspension is upheld.
Hoping so. If the players are serious about getting this stuff out of the game the union should take a pass on supporting an appeal here. They can't have it both ways.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nope. It's $1.26M of his AAV, not his base salary. Signing bonus isn't magically protected.

My guess - he will grieve, be able to play during the appeal process (tonight), then the suspension is upheld.

No player has ever been allowed to do this, to my knowledge, so I seriously doubt this is permitted. My bet is they just shave a handful of games off the end. Two, four max. So 16-18 games total.

Why just 20 games? If you look at the video that accompanies the decision, it shows the previous three high hits that resulted in suspensions for Wilson in just the past year, and it mentions that no player has ever gotten four suspensions in such a short period. He keeps on doing the same thing irrespective of suspensions. Why not 41 games? It's not like he hasn't been warned and warned and warned and warned that he can't play this way.

And by the way, can anyone tell me why the NHLPA always sides with its goon members rather than its members who are injured by them?

No player has ever been allowed to do this, to my knowledge, so I seriously doubt this is permitted. My bet is they just shave a handful of games off the end. Two, four max. So 16-18 games total.

They can play during the appeal, I thought?

Archived