• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is This the Beginning of the End for Marc Staal?

Phil

Staal was a serviceable defenseman last season, for any team. He was the only Rangers backliner that played like an NHLer on a consistent basis.

Sure, there was a 7 car pileup, but 6 of those cars are totaled and 1 has a small dent on the passenger door.

It's not. I thought Adam did a pretty good job explaining how it could be the beginning of the end, though. He's positing a question, not making a declaration.
Yeah but this article could have been written 2 years ago or in 2 years by that criteria haha.

It sure as hell doesn't absolve Staal. He got beat to a loose puck in the corner — his wheelhouse.

He didn't get beaten to a loose puck. Buch made a lazy ass play and hung Staal out to dry. Staal maybe mishandled it a bit, but that's a pretty difficult play for a defenseman to make, and he did fine to keep Hall to the outside.

There are about 5 things Buch could have done differently to prevent that, what he did was about the worst play possible.

He didn't get beaten to a loose puck. Buch made a lazy ass play and hung Staal out to dry. Staal maybe mishandled it a bit, but that's a pretty difficult play for a defenseman to make, and he did fine to keep Hall to the outside.

There are about 5 things Buch could have done differently to prevent that, what he did was about the worst play possible.

Said the same thing and got roasted for it. Inexcusable and stupid play by buchnevich with zero upside. Staal has a million examples of his own shit play, that one though is 10000% on buchnevich

Said the same thing and got roasted for it. Inexcusable and stupid play by buchnevich with zero upside. Staal has a million examples of his own shit play, that one though is 10000% on buchnevich

Agreed. The only thing I blame Staal for is not realizing Buch will make the stupid play with the puck part of the time.

I'm talking about physically. He was physically overpowered for that puck while in his wheelhouse. I also don't disagree that Buch was almost solely to blame on the play.

I'm talking about physically. He was physically overpowered for that puck while in his wheelhouse. I also don't disagree that Buch was almost solely to blame on the play.

He wasn't physically overpowered. Hall blindly swung his stick and got a piece of the puck.

He wasn't physically overpowered. Hall blindly swung his stick and got a piece of the puck.

Fine, physically overmatched. Use whatever term you want. You can even chalk it up to sheer luck (given the swing of the stick). The point is that a loose puck along the boards found it's way to Hall's stick, not his. I've already agreed numerous times that Buchnevich caused the entire sequence in the first place. That doesn't absolve Staal's loss of the puck, however.

Fine, physically overmatched. Use whatever term you want. You can even chalk it up to sheer luck (given the swing of the stick). The point is that a loose puck along the boards found it's way to Hall's stick, not his. I've already agreed numerous times that Buchnevich caused the entire sequence in the first place. That doesn't absolve Staal's loss of the puck, however.

Fine. But that happens to every defenseman in the league. It's not something that's indicative of whether or not Staal is good/bad.

Archived