• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jets' D Jacob Trouba Awarded 1-Year/$5.5M Arbitration Ruling

Phil

Yes, if you sign an unprotected RFA, you are required to compensate the team with whatever the requisite picks are. Arbitration protects any RFA from an offer sheet, however. The moment the team or player elect, that player can only leave via trade, and only if the team doesn't actually go to arbitration and signs them ahead of the scheduled meeting.

The latter. GMs, by and large, play a safe game by never stepping on the toes of others.

In a trade? Would have cost much more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He was probably talking about my post where I said that Trouba's cap hit (5.5m) would just cost a 1st and 3rd if he was offered a contract. He would probably only accept a long term contract if he was to go somewhere else, and with a higher AAV, so I guess the compensation would be 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Still worth it in my opinion tho.

He was probably talking about my post where I said that Trouba's cap hit (5.5m) would just cost a 1st and 3rd if he was offered a contract. He would probably only accept a long term contract if he was to go somewhere else, and with a higher AAV, so I guess the compensation would be 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Still worth it in my opinion tho.
You'd have to have offered more to get Trouba, since it seems Winnipeg would have matched that 5.5.

It would have to be in the vein of what the Flyers dropped on Shea Weber minus the bullshit years. You'd probably have to offer Trouba like $8.5 million a year just to get to a point where the Jets second-guessed matching given their need to re-sign Laine and Connor, and the big call they have to make on Wheeler next summer. And even then, I'm not sure they say no. It's not as though they don't have the room. As it stands they project to have like $35 million in available cap room going into that season with Hellebuyck, Ehlers, etc. already locked up.

Archived