• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign D Fredrik Claesson to 1-Year/700K Contract

Phil

Just in the last few years, they brought in Dion Phaneuf, traded Mike Hoffman for Mikkel Boedker, and traded Jonathan Dahlen for Alex Burrows, who they just bought out. They're no Montr?al, but I've got a lot of questions.

Don't forget trading Kyle Turris, Shane Bowers (who you drafted in the first round), a 1st round pick, and a 3rd round pick for Matt Duchene. Duchene scored a whole 7 points more than Turris after the trade.

Hoffman had very little value at that point and we have no idea what other deals were presented to him (because we have to assume the intent was to ship him west)

The reporting I saw said that Florida balked at Ottawa's asking price for Hoffman. So presumably Ottawa was asking for more than the 2nd, 4th and 5th round picks that San Jose eventually got from Florida. Perhaps they were asking for a premium to keep him in the East, but that's stupid when you're a team as bad as Ottawa will be this season. They don't have peers that are in the playoff hunt, their concern is finishing as low as possible...so that they can give Colorado the highest draft pick possible.

Seriously, no one should be defending Ottawa's management on any decision made in the past calendar year or moving forward. It's all suspect.

The reporting I saw said that Florida balked at Ottawa's asking price for Hoffman. So presumably Ottawa was asking for more than the 2nd, 4th and 5th round picks that San Jose eventually got from Florida. Perhaps they were asking for a premium to keep him in the East, but that's stupid when you're a team as bad as Ottawa will be this season. They don't have peers that are in the playoff hunt, their concern is finishing as low as possible...so that they can give Colorado the highest draft pick possible.

Seriously, no one should be defending Ottawa's management on any decision made in the past calendar year or moving forward. It's all suspect.

I'm specifically talking about Hoffman, who they were bent over the barrel with.

Hoffman had very little value at that point and we have no idea what other deals were presented to him (because we have to assume the intent was to ship him west)

They refused to trade him in the division. They willingly limited their return and rejected presumably the same offer Florida made to San Jose for him, CHOOSING to take Boedkker instead. That's just not smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They refused to trade him in the division. They willingly limited their return and rejected presumably the same offer Florida made to San Jose for him, CHOOSING to take Boedkker instead. That's just not smart.

That's not the reporting I saw. What I saw was that the wanted something else/more from Florida in a deal. So it is possible that for Ottawa:

Boedkker > 2nd, 4th, 5th

That's problematic in it's own way. Or perhaps they were requiring Florida to pay significantly more for Hoffman than they did for San Jose because they wanted a premium to keep him in division. Equally as problematic.

That's not the reporting I saw. What I saw was that the wanted something else/more from Florida in a deal. So it is possible that for Ottawa:

Boedkker > 2nd, 4th, 5th

That's problematic in it's own way. Or perhaps they were requiring Florida to pay significantly more for Hoffman than they did for San Jose because they wanted a premium to keep him in division. Equally as problematic.

Gotcha. But, yeah, the issue is still their fundamental choice to take less rather than more just to send him to the West.

1 year/700K???

I figure if this guy can't play , he can always be the stick boy....he's 25, what the hell...why not for one year? He's big, maybe he can fight a little or at least stick up for a younger player. If not, we can always use him to park cars or sell cotton candy up in the 400's.

I mean, they HAD to deal Hoffman at any cost. His worth is extremely low considering reports that most players in the league hate him, and the whole thing with his wife supposedly being a complete cunextuesday.

They had to deal him and may have moved quickly to appease the star player that they are trying to keep.

Jeez, they beat the Rangers a year ago on a crazy run, and have been a decent performing team over the last 5 or so years.

• 3 months later...
His is taking advantage of the playing time he's been given. Now sure what's up with ADA ?

I'd like to see more of D' Angelo now. We know what Staal is and he doesn't seem to be a factor good or bad, Paddy....he's just "there" ;)

Claesson has become a pleasant surprise in that he seems to be working out quite well for us. Still don't know much about him other than his compete level appears to be consistent.

The message I'm getting from Quinn is if the compete level falls, you pick splinters outta your ass! I love it big guy! It makes the games way more fun to watch!

Archived