• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lindy Ruff Expected to Stay on Quinn's Staff

Phil

Why was Lindy Ruff brought in if he was not going to be able to have an impact or a say on the defense? I'm not buying that it was all on AV here, especially considering he had a few years here where the defense was fine and not the weak link. The defense was considerably worse last year than it has been in over a decade - since pre-Renney years. It's a mistake keeping Ruff here. Quinn should be handpicking his own guys. This doesn't give me confidence at all.

If you are talking to me, that is certainly not what I said. I simply pointed out that he did no favors for team defense.

As a new head coach in the NHL, I find it odd that Quinn wants a guy like Ruff on his staff, and it is even more strange that Ruff is okay playing the role of assistant coach with his pedigree that people have already pointed out on here. Should be easy for him to get a head coaching gig no?

Quinn is either supremely confident and has no fear of a guy like ruff and his credentials or he had no choice but to accept him on his staff.

I do think it’s a benefit to a rookie coach to have a guy like ruff around. I also believe a coach should have total say who is on their staff. In a perfect world Quinn viewed him as an asset and asked for him to stay. Bring that rough was kept around while searching for a coach hints that this was a front office demand.

If you are talking to me, that is certainly not what I said. I simply pointed out that he did no favors for team defense.

As a new head coach in the NHL, I find it odd that Quinn wants a guy like Ruff on his staff, and it is even more strange that Ruff is okay playing the role of assistant coach with his pedigree that people have already pointed out on here. Should be easy for him to get a head coaching gig no?

If it were easy he would have gotten one two seasons ago. Clearly, he doesn't have many options or he just wants to be in NY for some reason. I don't understand what's so strange about it. He's not going to be the head coach at any point. Rangers had multiple chances to hire him and didn't. They hired a rookie over him. He'll be a good crutch for Quinn and a good brain to pick.

Quinn is either supremely confident and has no fear of a guy like ruff and his credentials or he had no choice but to accept him on his staff.

I do think it’s a benefit to a rookie coach to have a guy like ruff around. I also believe a coach should have total say who is on their staff. In a perfect world Quinn viewed him as an asset and asked for him to stay. Bring that rough was kept around while searching for a coach hints that this was a front office demand.

I'm in agreement with this.

Archived