• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Penguins Reportedly Looking to Trade Phil Kessel

Phil

Unless I'm reading this wrong, signing Kovalchuk (or similar FA) for a short term, without losing assets, and knowing he will be off the books in 1 or 2 seasons - possibly via trade that brings back picks or prospects - does not hinder any forward movement.

a 4year deal near $7m... I can see you making a case against that, especially at the cost of picks/prospects.

It doesn't. But it's totally pointless if you aren't trying to be a contender right now. If you are trying to be a contender right now, then, say, two late firsts are more valuable acquiring Kessel.

What I'm saying is that, in a vacuum, if I'm trying to win right now, I'd rather trade for Kessel than sign Kovy, because even though he costs more, you know you are getting a good player.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simply because if there's interest from a contender and he wants to win he should go there. If he's coming here because we're going to overpay

him compared to any other deals he might be offered than I would want him here even less (and I don't care how much cap space we have, it doesn't mean they can't spend it elsewhere). No they're not going to be bad forever but I didn't realize we were now offering a forever contract, so I'm confused by your if he's looking for a short term deal and then pointing to the team not being bad for ever.

It's not just about how much we would pay him, necessarily. First, there might be a contender that is up against the cap that may not be able to sign such a player. At the deadline, they will be able to fit in a bigger cap hit. Second, its not just the contract, but playing in NY will allow him to market himself a bit more, than say Arizona.

As for winning - we dont know what next season, or the season after will hold. You know, coming to NY, that if the team has a chance, they may go for it. They might sign a #1C this summer, or next. They might trade for, or sign a Norris winner. Coming to NY, you know you have a team that may be willing to take the steps necessary to be a contender, if they find themselves in that situation. Knowing a team will try to win (at one point or another) is also intriguing to a player.

We are in a situation where we can take the risk, without hurting anything moving forward - contrary to what Future said.

They were pretty good the last 30-ish games of last season. From the second week of Feb (I think) they were like 11th in the league and 5th in the West in points and only 2 points behind a bunch of the teams ahead of them over that stretch. That was around a 105-point pace, which they won't hit, but they could be a 95-point playoff team.

They were pretty good the last 30-ish games of last season. From the second week of Feb (I think) they were like 11th in the league and 5th in the West in points and only 2 points behind a bunch of the teams ahead of them over that stretch. That was around a 105-point pace, which they won't hit, but they could be a 95-point playoff team.

I think the hockey world has been waiting for them to be good for close to 20 years now. They "should be good" is always the mantra. In actuality, they're always at the bottom. They need to spend money on roster players and not just salary dumps. I believe they had more money out of the lineup this season then in it. It's a joke.

If I'm the Pens I do Domi and a 1st round pick all day long.

If I'm Arz I don't really see it as a game changer in any way though.

How would it not be? Domi has regressed more than progressed over his first three seasons and Kessel would immediately give them a serious top line (Kessel, Stepan, Keller). His goal-scoring alone would dramatically improve their offense. They were 30th in goals for last season (206). Adding Kessel over Domi adds another 25 to their totals, moving them to 18th/19th overall, tied with Anaheim and Dallas.

How is this not a game game changer in any way?

If I'm the Pens I do Domi and a 1st round pick all day long.

If I'm Arz I don't really see it as a game changer in any way though.

Idk man, I don't think there's a team in the league where Phil Kessel isn't a game changer.

He had 92 points last year. I know a lot of that was playing with Malkin, and he's not going to get that everywhere, but that's a lot of scoring.

Giving up the 5th overall + for a 31 y/o is foolish

No one is suggesting 5OA in the deal. Mike and I agreed a first is needed which is why a lottery-protected 2019 makes the most sense.

Lottery-protected 2019 first, Domi for Kessel straight up is a fair trade all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No one is suggesting 5OA in the deal. Mike and I agreed a first is needed which is why a lottery-protected 2019 makes the most sense.

Lottery-protected 2019 first, Domi for Kessel straight up is a fair trade all around.

I just find it very hard to trade either for a 31 y/o when you?re not even close to contending. However, I would be okay with signing him similar to to Kovalchuk.

IMO, Coyotes aren't about to be competitive - or close to contender status, to where they should contemplate trading young roster players or top/first round draft picks on a Kessel-like player. We saw Kessel as the go-to guy on a "rebuilding" Toronto team. Maybe I dont remember everything, but that didnt work out too well. I think Arizona would be entered that same territory.

Perhaps AZ management believes they are going to be contenders, and are trying to make a deal for a guy that will be there in seasons 3 and 4 to be a complementary player past his prime with some playoff experience.

Kessel wouldn't be the go-to guy in ARZ. It would be Keller.

But I don't buy that ARZ can't be competitive next year. Based on the second half of the year, there's not much to separate them from any team other than WPG and Nashville.

Kessel wouldn't be the go-to guy in ARZ. It would be Keller.

But I don't buy that ARZ can't be competitive next year. Based on the second half of the year, there's not much to separate them from any team other than WPG and Nashville.

Still, concluding that they are going to be competitive next season because their "best stretch" was close to 16th in the league is extremely optimistic.

To add perspective, between the end of October through December, the Rangers were the best team in the league, pacing 122 points.

Still, concluding that they are going to be competitive next season because their "best stretch" was close to 16th in the league is extremely optimistic.

To add perspective, between the end of October through December, the Rangers were the best team in the league, pacing 122 points.

I'm not concluding that, just saying that it's a possibility. I'd say the same thing about the Rangers if they hadn't blown it up.

The Arizona stretch, from Feb 8 to the end of the season, was 29 games and has a better chance to carry over into next year than what the Rangers did, they're a youngish team that found their footing, rather than an aging team who had to rebuild after the stretch.

And saying they were close to 16th is being purposely misleading lol. They were the same distance away from 4th as they were 16th.

• 3 weeks later...
Multiple​ sources have confirmed to The​ Athletic​ that​ Phil Kessel, while perfectly willing to​ remain​​ with the Penguins, isn?t opposed to a trade that would end his time in Pittsburgh.

His preferred destination for a trade, though, appears to be out of the running.

Kessel would be willing to play for the Arizona Coyotes because of his relationship with head coach Rick Tocchet.

However, the Coyotes have informed the Penguins that such a transaction isn?t likely to happen for financial reasons. Kessel is owed $6.8 million per season for four more years ? the Maple Leafs are responsible for the other $1.2 million of his contract ? and the Coyotes simply aren?t willing to take on that kind of money. Arizona management told the Penguins it is intending on merely reaching the salary cap floor during the 2018-19 season.

https://theathletic.com/399288/2018/06/19/phil-kessel-not-opposed-to-leaving-penguins-via-trade/

Archived