• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2017-18 WCSF | Vegas Golden Knights (P1) v. San Jose Sharks (P3)

Phil

Who wins?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Sharks in 4
    • Sharks in 5
    • Sharks in 6
    • Sharks in 7

Welllll.... can't be certain it is a disaster. Opposite arguments could be made that this could ignite a solid fanbase or a winning culture. Their mgmt, coaching and young core could lead to a competitive team for years.

Assume your speculation is right. If so, then so be it. Sorta natural selection. If the market really can not support a hockey team, then they do not deserve one. Only time will tell. After Seattle, the NHL needs to stop expanding for a decade. Instead evaluate the health and intentions of franchises like Carolina or Florida or whoever. If a new market is demanding an NHL franchise, then someone can move from a market that is just not strong enough to support an NHL team.

You also make some good points, thanks.

My bottom-line for whether a city can support a sports franchise is.....can the team survive financially (i.e., break-even with OK attendance) when it is playing bad and out of the playoffs that year ? Teams like Tampa Bay Rays don't cut it.

I'm not sure yet about LV. The fact that football is only 16 games/17 or 18 weeks may help.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vegas is a very fickle town when it comes to sports. We have had a few teams here (Thunder, Wranglers, CFL's Posse, etc.) and while they were winning they made money. When the losses stacked up, they folded or left town. I think a big part of the problem was they were not the upper level leagues. I think the NHL can survive here. They are doing things right. Building up the fan base, investing in youth hockey and UNLV's hockey program. Many of the players are very active with the youth sports.

I really hope they last, since I'll be able to see the Rangers at least once a year.

Vegas is a very fickle town when it comes to sports. We have had a few teams here (Thunder, Wranglers, CFL's Posse, etc.) and while they were winning they made money. When the losses stacked up, they folded or left town. I think a big part of the problem was they were not the upper level leagues. I think the NHL can survive here. They are doing things right. Building up the fan base, investing in youth hockey and UNLV's hockey program. Many of the players are very active with the youth sports.

I really hope they last, since I'll be able to see the Rangers at least once a year.

If Phoenix is any indication, the NHL will force it into existence until the end of time, even if it's not the right fit. For now, it's amazing and really fun to story to follow.

They got Lindberg. What more could they ask for ?

Mikey, your memory is not such an iron trap on other items I was so right about.

Mikey, I was surprised Oscar only had 9 goals, though he was solid defensively. I thought he would have a much better year, I was wrong. Are you happy now?

Lindberg played about 60 games until he suffered a severe concussion. He returned to play well for a few games, but still had a few issues and sat till the last two Vegas playoff games. You could give the kid (and me) a break.

He played very well in the last two against San Jose. I think had the most golden oppts, for those two wins. Gallant likes Lindberg a lot and thought he and Carpenter provided a lift when they needed it. He will be starting in the WCF. Not as terrible as you want to make it seem.

How come you never mention all the good calls I've made, if you are going to continue to harp on this?

* Such as my prediction on the same thread that we would not make the playoffs.

* Or that early season discussion with you that the Devils will make the playoffs

* Or that early season pick of the Jets and Tampa in the finals.

* Or my spec with Dunny that one of Pionk or Graves would join the D by the deadline.

* Or the Nov thread to trade McD for a scoring forward (Toronto).

* Or early in the year, when everyone here was excited about Toronto's chances in the east, except me, because of their D.

Calling me out on my track record is about as ridiculous as calling you out on your insider info.

If Phoenix is any indication, the NHL will force it into existence until the end of time, even if it's not the right fit. For now, it's amazing and really fun to story to follow.
Perfect example of a team that probably was not meant to be. Even with Gretzky, no pizzaz or ability to make an impact.

As I recall, they basically went under and the NHL had to run them for a while.

There are only so many billionaires who are willing to lose a few million every year for the privilege of owning an NHL franchise.

I think Phoenix may move to Houston soon (someone is going to). Houston has a larger fan and metropolitan city base...larger population....TONS more corporate support (energy companies in bull market).

Mikey, your memory is not such an iron trap on other items I was so right about.

Mikey, I was surprised Oscar only had 9 goals, though he was solid defensively. I thought he would have a much better year, I was wrong. Are you happy now?

Lindberg played about 60 games until he suffered a severe concussion. He returned to play well for a few games, but still had a few issues and sat till the last two Vegas playoff games. You could give the kid (and me) a break.

He played very well in the last two against San Jose. I think had the most golden oppts, for those two wins. Gallant likes Lindberg a lot and thought he and Carpenter provided a lift when they needed it. He will be starting in the WCF. Not as terrible as you want to make it seem.

How come you never mention all the good calls I've made, if you are going to continue to harp on this?

* Such as my prediction on the same thread that we would not make the playoffs.

* Or that early season discussion with you that the Devils will make the playoffs

* Or that early season pick of the Jets and Tampa in the finals.

* Or my spec with Dunny that one of Pionk or Graves would join the D by the deadline.

* Or the Nov thread to trade McD for a scoring forward (Toronto).

* Or early in the year, when everyone here was excited about Toronto's chances in the east, except me, because of their D.

Calling me out on my track record is about as ridiculous as calling you out on your insider info.

:clap:

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived