• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Isles Awarded Belmont Site for New Arena

Phil

Simply move that crap team to the Coliseum for good and be done with it. They could have embraced Barclays, bad sight lines all,but instead they whined like the bitches they are.They got a brand new arena surrounded by great bars and restaurants on top of a transit hub , but no, instead they cried like a little girl who's lollipop fell in the dirt. They only draw 13,000 people a night anyway, and spare their big playoff runs LI barely supported them. Belmont has LIRR access but otherwise no real transit access. Beautiful thing about MSG and Barclays is being on the subway home in about 10 minutes when an event ends. Or when I was younger you are out in the City already. There is really nothing near Belmont but highways. So the stories about traffic nightmares as weeknight rush hour traffic impedes people going to Belmont for an Isles game is but 3 years away. Should have been rehabbed the Coliseum when Wang had his checkbook open, but that ship has sailed into the sea of incompetent misgovernance that is NY state and Long Island. Why NY state taxpayers should foot the bill for ANOTHER arena makes no sense. MSG, The Rock, Barclays and the Coliseum are enough; there are not enough acts nor events to sustain a 5th in this area profitably. Give it 3 or 4 years,and the Isles will be crying poverty again.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/islanders-belmont-lirr-1.16348814

By Jim Baumbach

MTA chairman Joe Lhota said Thursday that he?s ?concerned? about the complications involved with expanding Long Island Rail Road service to the Islanders? new arena at Belmont Park and added that a study is underway.

Lhota, testifying before a state budget hearing in Albany, said two obstacles include the design of the current Belmont spur off the main line and the LIRR?s inability to add more trains during the evening rush hour, when most Islanders fans would be traveling to weeknight games.

?We?re at capacity on the main line during rush hour, and so we?re going to have to look at that and weigh that in,? Lhota said under questioning by state Sen. Todd Kaminsky (D-Long Beach). ?I?m concerned about how that?s going to all fit in at any one particular point in time.?

Lhota added that the spur off the Hicksville line to Belmont currently allows for trains coming only from the west. ?There?s no way going from where most Long Islanders would take [it] if they were taking the Long Island Rail Road as opposed to driving to go see the Islanders,? he said.

Lhota said he will not know the cost of potential upgrades at Belmont ? where trains currently run only on race days ? until the study is complete. He provided no timetable.

The LIRR had said only that it?s committed to expanding service at Belmont but had not provided any details.

Making the LIRR station at Belmont full-time was a key to the Islanders? proposal to develop up to 43 acres of state-owned land at Belmont. Their winning proposal, as announced by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo last month, calls for an 18,000-seat arena, 435,000 square feet of retail stores, restaurants and a movie theater, and a hotel with 200 to 250 rooms.

Cuomo?s office said last month that the LIRR ?will develop a plan to modify service to accommodate New Yorkers for sporting and special events.? State officials said all parties remain committed to expanding service to accommodate the arena.

Islanders co-owner Jon Ledecky has been outspoken about the need for the Belmont LIRR station to become ?a vital part of the community, not just when there is horse racing and not just when there is a concert or a game. All the time.?

Lhota, under questioning from Kaminsky, added at Thursday?s state hearing, ?I do understand the desire on the part of the state and the owners of the Islanders and the community in and around Belmont about how important it is for them to have transit.?

After the hearing, Kaminsky tweeted, ?A full time LIRR station at Belmont w/ expanded service is key for Belmont community & to reduce Isles traffic.?

I know you guys don't like us quoting full articles but with how gay Newsday is that you usually have to be a subscriber in order to read it, I figured a lot people may not be able to access it. Frankly I am surprised I was able to as I am not a subscriber.

• 2 months later...

In todays print edition of Newsday, the main story is about a new 17,500 seat arena planned for suffolk next to McAuther Airport. I wonder if this could be a draw for the Islanders instead of Belmont.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/hockey-arena-islip-1.17897947

Suffolk County officials are reviewing proposals from four development groups vying to build on a 40-acre site near Long Island MacArthur Airport in Ronkonkoma, including a plan for a professional sports-sized arena.

County officials last year launched an effort to seek a master developer for the property, which includes sprawling parking fields south of the Long Island Rail Road’s Ronkonkoma station, as well as vacant land on the airport’s northern border.

Among the proposals are a 17,500-seat arena, an e-commerce facility including a new north terminal at MacArthur Airport, and walkable downtowns with a mix of apartments, restaurants and offices, according to documents filed with the county. The winning bidder is required to replace 3,000 parking spaces that would be lost during construction.

Archived