• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[SPOILER] Game Of Thrones Finally Admits The Show Will Spoil The Books

Phil

This was becoming increasingly obvious, but Game of Thrones showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff have finally confessed out loud the TV show adaptation, which looks to end several years before George R.R. Martin releases the series' final volume, will be spoiling several aspects of the books.

Here's David Benioff speaking to the Oxford Union over the weekend (courtesy of Vanity Fair):

Luckily, we've been talking about this with George for a long time, ever since we saw this could happen, and we know where things are heading. And so we'll eventually, basically, meet up at pretty much the same place where George is going; there might be a few deviations along the route, but we're heading towards the same destination. I kind of wish that there were some things we didn't have to spoil, but we're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The show must go on... and that's what we're going to do.

I think the thing that's kind of fun for George is the idea that he can still have surprises for people even once they've watched the show through to the conclusion. There are certain things that are going to happen in the books that are different in the show, and I think people who love the show and want more?want to know more about the characters, want to know more about the different characters who might not have made the cut for the show?will be able to turn to the books.

http://io9.com/game-of-thrones-finally-admits-the-show-will-spoil-the-1693101904?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

--

Works for me too. They can't put off the show simply because Martin takes 38 years to release each new book. It blows for the read-it-first crowd, because they're going to finally have to be the ones to actively avoid spoilers if they want to maintain the element of surprise for the novels (assuming the good health of GRRM), but oh well. The story is far more important to be told to its conclusion than the specific medium its told through.

Honestly, I'm kind of pissed. Because of the deviations they are making this season and in the future, the storylines that are being passed up will be rendered useless. If the books and show are destined for the same end, I think it's going to be difficult to stay interested.

I agree with you though. They can't wait on Martin and this is ultimately on him.

I mean, you said it... this is Martin's own fault. What can they do? Sit back and wait, because he writes on a fucking DOS-Based word processor?

You know the first question that gets asked if that were the case... what happens if he dies?

I mean, you said it... this is Martin's own fault. What can they do? Sit back and wait, because he writes on a fucking DOS-Based word processor?

You know the first question that gets asked if that were the case... what happens if he dies?

It's incredibly annoying, and I've only been invested in this series for three years. I can't imagine what it's like for people who were on-board from earlier book releases.

I just hate how diluted this is going to feel.

I already hate Daenerys' storyline and to me, the only redeeming aspect of it is the various suitors she is about to face(Euron via Victorion, Quentyn, Aegon). In the absence of those characters, it seems as if the only Westerosi encounter she'll have is Tyrion. I'm sure we will have to wait until season 6 to make it official, but it seems as if they are omitting Aegon as well.

The whole Dornish storyline is skewed. Without Quentyn and more importantly Arianne, it seems like Doran's plan will be carried out through Myrcella and Trystane.

As dull as the Iron Islands storyline was in AFFC, how do you just end it with Theon still a Bolton prisoner and Yara's failed attempt to save him?

Probably just pick it up with a new writer. I'm sure GRRM has notes that can be built from.

It's what they did with the Wheel of Time book series. Robert Jordan died with three or four books left, can't remember off the top of my head (if you haven't read them, that's like 4,000+ pages), but Brandon Salverson finished them up. GoT has gotten too successful commercially for it to just end without someone finishing it.

Granted, GRRM said he doesn't want to do that but we'll see...so did Robert Jordan at first.

Probably just pick it up with a new writer. I'm sure GRRM has notes that can be built from.

It's what they did with the Wheel of Time book series. Robert Jordan died with three or four books left, can't remember off the top of my head (if you haven't read them, that's like 4,000+ pages), but Brandon Salverson finished them up. GoT has gotten too successful commercially for it to just end without someone finishing it.

Granted, GRRM said he doesn't want to do that but we'll see...so did Robert Jordan at first.

Assuming he dies? Sure. But he's not going to turn it over to anyone while he's still alive, I don't think. I don't know who Robert Jordan or Brandon Salverson are, but I'd imagine Jordan didn't pass over the torch while he was still living, did he?

This won't stop the show from surpassing the books, unfortunately, unless Martin essentially dies tomorrow and they get a new writer to take over and get cracking now.

Assuming he dies? Sure. But he's not going to turn it over to anyone while he's still alive, I don't think. I don't know who Robert Jordan or Brandon Salverson are, but I'd imagine Jordan didn't pass over the torch while he was still living, did he?

This won't stop the show from surpassing the books, unfortunately, unless Martin essentially dies tomorrow and they get a new writer to take over and get cracking now.

Yea, Salverson took over when Jordan died. No, nobody is going to pump out so many ASOIAF books so fast they get ahead of the show, I was just referring to

Robert Jordan wrote the Wheel of Time series until his death, Brandon Salverson finished it. Much of ASOIAF's roots are in Wheel of Time. Wheel of Time is way more detailed, almost painstakingly so, way more complex, way slower at times unfortunately, and way more epic. Martin's work is just a chapter of Jordan's series.

If Martin dies, I'd imagine that the only people who would be commissioned for the rest of the series would be Benioff, who is a writer, or the people who helped him compile the history that came out in October.

I agree. I think they'd finish the series the way Future was talking about, with another writer (whomever it may be), but Martin isn't letting go of this now to allow a faster writer to finish his series before the show catches it. Even a faster writer couldn't do that at this point, and there's no one to blame for this but Martin.

It sucks, but we've reached/passed the event horizon. There's no going back.

I agree. I think they'd finish the series the way Future was talking about, with another writer (whomever it may be), but Martin isn't letting go of this now to allow a faster writer to finish his series before the show catches it. Even a faster writer couldn't do that at this point, and there's no one to blame for this but Martin.

It sucks, but we've reached/passed the event horizon. There's no going back.

I could have this series wrapped up in book form in a week. It just wouldn't be good, unless you liked a quick recount of a few dozen story lines, followed by... "Then everyone died. The end". Which, as we know, is TL;DR of what GRRM will spend the next 20,000 pages writing.

Yea, Salverson took over when Jordan died. No, nobody is going to pump out so many ASOIAF books so fast they get ahead of the show, I was just referring to

Robert Jordan wrote the Wheel of Time series until his death, Brandon Salverson finished it. Much of ASOIAF's roots are in Wheel of Time. Wheel of Time is way more detailed, almost painstakingly so, way more complex, way slower at times unfortunately, and way more epic. Martin's work is just a chapter of Jordan's series.

Fot the record, the guy is named Brandon Sanderson.

And regarding WoT, it actually helped the series in a way that the author died. Jordan loved his world way too much to let go (and propably was hampered by his sickness). The story slowed down to a halt in his last books and Sanderson needed two books just to finish the story, even when cutting some plotlines entirely and finally setting a dumb character who had no real purpose to the story to the sideline, a character Jordan loved way too much.

Anyway that doesn't help us with GoT, Martin has said time and time again, that he won't allow any other author to finish the books. So should he die, the TV ending is all we will get.

Fortunately they ARE allowed to do an ending even should he die.

Fot the record, the guy is named Brandon Sanderson.

And regarding WoT, it actually helped the series in a way that the author died. Jordan loved his world way too much to let go (and propably was hampered by his sickness). The story slowed down to a halt in his last books and Sanderson needed two books just to finish the story, even when cutting some plotlines entirely and finally setting a dumb character who had no real purpose to the story to the sideline, a character Jordan loved way too much.

Anyway that doesn't help us with GoT, Martin has said time and time again, that he won't allow any other author to finish the books. So should he die, the TV ending is all we will get.

Fortunately they ARE allowed to do an ending even should he die.

LOL, I think I mixed up Brandon Sanderson and Brandon Halverson.

I agree with your take though. Sanderson's books had a lot more pace to them. Part of that could be that everything was set up by Jordan though. He was certainly great at writing fast as well when he didn't get bogged down by the color of tablecloths, collar heights, boot styles and all that stuff.

Archived