• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Magazine/Newsletter Software

CreaseCrusader91

How much are you looking to spend?

I'd stay away from anything MS Office as the programs (while simple to use) are clunky and un-refined, and I feel the final products tend to look amateur-ish.

I don't think price will really be an issue since it is going to be used all the time going forward.

If you're going to pass this project on, go with Publisher. It's easy to use, most people are familiar with the Office work flow and the results you get are way more dependent on your skills as a designer and the imagery you have to work with than which piece of software you use. Publisher won't have any limits that will effect you putting the newsletter together. What will keep it from looking professional is the skill and attention to detail of the person creating/updating it.

If you're going to pass this project on, go with Publisher. It's easy to use, most people are familiar with the Office work flow and the results you get are way more dependent on your skills as a designer and the imagery you have to work with than which piece of software you use. Publisher won't have any limits that will effect you putting the newsletter together. What will keep it from looking professional is the skill and attention to detail of the person creating/updating it.

Yea, but as design software, anything with "Microsoft" in front of it = totally clunky and inflexible.

Yea, but as design software, anything with "Microsoft" in front of it = totally clunky and inflexible.

It doesn't seem like designers are going to be doing this, though. That's the key for me, here. Look, if I was doing a newsletter, it would be start to finish in Photoshop. Many pros wouldn't see that as optimal either, but after nearly two decades, that's the best way for me to create efficiently.

For a novice to learn InDesign, then teach his dad how to use it, then in the future possibly have to teach someone else, it just seems like overkill. And the precision that a tool like InDesign allows will likely make it much easier for him to break the box, so to speak.

It doesn't seem like designers are going to be doing this, though. That's the key for me, here. Look, if I was doing a newsletter, it would be start to finish in Photoshop. Many pros wouldn't see that as optimal either, but after nearly two decades, that's the best way for me to create efficiently.

For a novice to learn InDesign, then teach his dad how to use it, then in the future possibly have to teach someone else, it just seems like overkill. And the precision that a tool like InDesign allows will likely make it much easier for him to break the box, so to speak.

Yea, agree there. That's why I offered up that PagePlus option. Seems like it's the key features and tools of INDD, without the extras he'll never use.

I just really hate MS products haha.

Yea, agree there. That's why I offered up that PagePlus option. Seems like it's the key features and tools of INDD, without the extras he'll never use.

I just really hate MS products haha.

Yeah, I got you. I don't often use MS Products myself, but most of my clients do, so I have to stay on top of them at times. I've never had them come up with a problem that I couldn't easily resolve using their tools.

Archived