• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Roller Hockey Skates

CreaseCrusader91

Looking for suggestions. I want to skate throughout the summer and rinks by me don't have a ton of sessions. Any tips on brands to by or stay away from? My normal skates are Bauer Supreme 100 so I was wondering if the boot of a Bauer roller skate would be the same as my ice skates.

Any tips and suggestions would be helpful.

I've used CCMs, Bauer and Mission and found that they were all reasonably comfortable. If you make a habit of getting in front of shots, check for negative reviews on the chassis. I've had some that were ruined by a hard shot bending the chassis into the wheel. I want to say the worst in that regard were the Missions. This was quite a few years ago, though, so not sure if any of that has changed.

I've used CCMs, Bauer and Mission and found that they were all reasonably comfortable. If you make a habit of getting in front of shots, check for negative reviews on the chassis. I've had some that were ruined by a hard shot bending the chassis into the wheel. I want to say the worst in that regard were the Missions. This was quite a few years ago, though, so not sure if any of that has changed.

Good to know. What is a reasonable price range? I am seeing $100-$150 on Amazon.

I stick with missions. I have had CCM's and Nike Bauers at one point or another and have ripped through them like paper (quite literally in one instance).

Here is the thing about skates.. what you pay for is what you get. I have had bad experiences buying the lower end models in the past, they killed my feet, were uncomfortable, and didnt last.

With that said.. in the past i would go and skate 3-5 times a week and for whatever reason I really tend to destroy skates. But I did notice that the higher priced models tend to last me a lot longer and are usually less stressful on my feet and back.

I have these now. Have had em for about a year and they are probably the best skates I have ever had;

http://www.hockeygiant.com/mis11t8rhsktsr.html

Good to know. What is a reasonable price range? I am seeing $100-$150 on Amazon.

Yeah, I mean, if this is just to keep in shape and have some fun in the Summer, that's a good range. Spend a little more to get a better skate if you'll be going at it a little harder. I don't think I ever spent more than $250 or so on a pair of skates. I know they can go up to like $700 or so, but I've never even considered a pair that expensive.

Yeah, I mean, if this is just to keep in shape and have some fun in the Summer, that's a good range. I don't think I ever spent more than $250 on a pair of skates. I know they can go up to like $700 or so, but I've never even considered a pair that expensive.

yea thats just ridiculous. I think the most I have ever paid for one pair of skates was like $350 and that is only because I was having trouble finding a pair that fit me well.

I agree with you that for light skating there is no point in going with the higher end models.

I typically try to find skates from a season or two that are now going for much cheaper.

yea thats just ridiculous. I think the most I have ever paid for one pair of skates was like $350 and that is only because I was having trouble finding a pair that fit me well.

I agree with you that for light skating there is no point in going with the higher end models.

I typically try to find skates from a season or two that are now going for much cheaper.

This is key. The good skates can usually drop like $100 a season the first year or two.

Archived