• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Difference Between The Netherlands and Holland

Jules

For those of you who haven't seen this hilarious, yet very true, video before, this settles why Holland isn't quite The Netherlands. ;)

I know, it's fucking confusing, even when you live here. :rofl:

Also, the kingdom has a new king. Today King Willem-Alexander became our new head of state, after his mother Beatrix abdicated.

For those of you who haven't seen this hilarious, yet very true, video before, this settles why Holland isn't quite The Netherlands. ;)

I know, it's fucking confusing, even when you live here. :rofl:

Also, the kingdom has a new king. Today King Willem-Alexander became our new head of state, after his mother Beatrix abdicated.

Wow, thanks for posting. I was always looking for clarification of this, and it all makes sense now.

Said no one, ever. :rofl:

The PA Dutch being called Dutch even though they're Germans. I totally get it now. No joke. My family are "PA Dutch", and I was always so friggin' confused why they spoke German!

I totally LOL'd at "Because empire" too.

The PA Dutch being called Dutch even though they're Germans. I totally get it now. No joke. My family are "PA Dutch", and I was always so friggin' confused why they spoke German!

lol you didn't know that?

Maybe it's a PA thing, but we learn that very early in education. Now that I think of it, yeah that's probably a PA thing.

Maybe it's a PA thing, but we learn that very early in education. Now that I think of it, yeah that's probably a PA thing.

I didn't. I probably would have learned it had I stuck around. Moved when I was 7 going on 8, so the vast majority of my education came via NY state. Only spent pre-school and kindergarten in PA. 1st grade began on Long Island.

First time I was in America I had bit more of an accent than I do now and two girls at Six Flags asked me and my buddy where we were from, so we said "Dutch" and they said "Oh, never knew people in Penssylvania had this kind of an accent." We just glanced at each other with no fucking clue what they were talking about. :rofl:

Gotta say though, if you don't know any better, Dutch and German have many similarities in their language and especially people not from the Holland part sound very German to foreigners.

First time I was in America I had bit more of an accent than I do now and two girls at Six Flags asked me and my buddy where we were from, so we said "Dutch" and they said "Oh, never knew people in Penssylvania had this kind of an accent." We just glanced at each other with no fucking clue what they were talking about. :rofl:

Gotta say though, if you don't know any better, Dutch and German have many similarities in their language and especially people not from the Holland part sound very German to foreigners.

That's cause you are germans, historically speaking. :p

Remember those days as part of the Holy Roman Empire? :D

So why are dutch soccer fans still chanting "Holland" during games Jules? :D

Because The-Ne-Ther-Lands is impossible to implement in any decent tunes (we don't even sing it in our stupid national anthem) and most people not from around here call us Holland anyway. Olanda, Hollande (technically Pays-Bas), etc.

Most people I've talked to does NOT know this, they think the PA Dutch are of Dutch decent. I think it's more likely that within Pennsylvania itself ppl have a clue about this since it's possible they might even be related to these ppl and know they came from Germany.

For a Swede Dutch sounds like a strange mix of German and Scandinavian with something else mixed in for good measure :). Def not a chance I would mistake Dutch for German. Dutch is more sing songy..if you can call it that, German is more harsh.

Good stuff.

Jules one more question, why does the Fifa world cup soccer team sometimes refer to itself as Holland? This is not the same as England/Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland and how the UK breaks down its football teams. Also something I find confusing.

Jules one more question, why does the Fifa world cup soccer team sometimes refer to itself as Holland? This is not the same as England/Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland and how the UK breaks down its football teams. Also something I find confusing.

As the video explains, internationally a lot of people say "Holland" when they mean "The Netherlands" and for a long time the Netherlands Antilles had their own national soccer team separate from the Dutch national team. I think it's called Holland because the names are both used and fans - as H-Dreamer pointed out - often chant with the word Holland, because it's easier.

Holland is the Dutch national team from The Netherlands, who present themselves in orange for the royal House of Orange, while waving a red-white-blue flag. I can see why people are confused. :rofl:

As the video explains, internationally a lot of people say "Holland" when they mean "The Netherlands" and for a long time the Netherlands Antilles had their own national soccer team separate from the Dutch national team. I think it's called Holland because the names are both used and fans - as H-Dreamer pointed out - often chant with the word Holland, because it's easier.

Holland is the Dutch national team from The Netherlands, who present themselves in orange for the royal House of Orange, while waving a red-white-blue flag. I can see why people are confused. :rofl:

lol!

So back to the video real quick; had Hugo Chavez actually followed through on his threats to invade Aruba, he would be in direct conflict with the Netherlands itself? If would basically be like Mexico attacking Hawaii if thats a good analogy?

lol!

So back to the video real quick; had Hugo Chavez actually followed through on his threats to invade Aruba, he would be in direct conflict with the Netherlands itself? If would basically be like Mexico attacking Hawaii if thats a good analogy?

Yes, that's correct. Or maybe as if China would invade Guam, I guess? Either way, The Netherlands is an ally of the US, so he believed we would spy on him from Aruba or even use it as a base for an invasion.

Love Aruba, was there back in 2007. Baby beach down by the refinery on the southeast end of the island has some of the best snorkeling I have ever seen.

Had to make a bathroom stop on the way back to our hotel room the beach and stopped into a Taco Bell just north of town. Sitting at one of the tables was Joran Van DerSloot and his father. They were in the back and appeared to be going over paperwork, and Joran and I locked eyes for a brief moment. He knew I knew who he was and it was odd because it seemed to frighten him. I always wondered to this day is why he would go to a taco bell knowing that tourists would be stopping in?

Glad that idiot is rotting in a Peruvian jail and disappointing the Holloway case was never fully explained. In the end, all we know is that he was somehow involved.

Anyway, fuck that guy. This thread about is about my weird home country. :D

Glad that idiot is rotting in a Peruvian jail and disappointing the Holloway case was never fully explained. In the end, all we know is that he was somehow involved.

Anyway, fuck that guy. This thread about is about my weird home country. :D

:lol: I also read a crazy story that he impregnated a Peruvian woman in prison. lol

Yes I agree fuck him, back to the strangeness that is the Netherlands!

Archived