• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bad Religion ? True North

Phil

Just hearing about this now.

http://www.punknews.org/article/50040/media-bad-religion-true-north

Bad Religion have posted the title track of their upcoming sixteenth studio album, True North. The record is due out on January 22, 2013.

It's your standard Bad Religion track, but if you're a BR fanboy like me (hi, Dave!) you'll probably fall in love with it, same as you did/do every other track they release. :D

• 2 weeks later...
eh i dunno.. i love old school bad religion but this sounds a little too green day for me :/

maybe im just not into that much any more, i dunno...

it just doesnt seem to have that raw energy their previous works had.

Let me preface this by saying I still listen to Bad Religion daily.

I only got through 1/4 of the album walking the dog yesterday, but so far I agree. I don't hear old school BR (well, except for maybe 1 or 2 songs) so far. What I hear is them tweaking the sound they've changed to over their last few albums and it's not a sound I've really grown to like. To me, the only album with this more modern sound (for them) that I've liked in it's entirety was The Process of Belief (a decade ago). Sure, there have been some songs along the way that I've really liked, but the last three albums have been disappointing to me.

I'll check back when I get through the rest of this one, but as of right now this doesn't have much of the raw emotion and grit that their older stuff thrived on.

Ok, hold up. I just started listening to this again and it's not the same order I heard yesterday. Must have had it on shuffle. I get where you guys are coming from more. Past is Dead is the type of sond I dislike from them (at least as compared to the stuff I love).

So far True North, Robin Hood in Reverse, Land of Endless Greed and Fuck You deliver on what you guys were talking about.

Songs I liked:

True North

Robin Hood in Reverse

Land of Endless Greed

Fuck You

Vanity

In Their Hearts is Right

Popular Consensus

My Head is Full of Ghosts

The Island

Songs I didn't:

Past is Dead

Dharma and the Bomb

Hello Cruel World

Jury is still out:

Crisis Time

Dept. of False Hope

Nothing To Dismay

Changing Tide

9-3-4 That'll make the playoffs.

I guess I'm off the mark here, then, because I really dig this new record.

To me it was a nice blend of the newer melodies they've become known for over the last few records (since the Empire Strikes First) and that faster paced punk stuff that got them big in the first place.

I guess I'm off the mark here, then, because I really dig this new record.

To me it was a nice blend of the newer melodies they've become known for over the last few records (since the Empire Strikes First) and that faster paced punk stuff that got them big in the first place.

I think that's the problem for me. I'm not a big fan (with a few exceptions) of the newer melodies. Greg's voice just isn't strong enough for them, imo. Punk is what he does so well.

I don't mind the melodic stuff at all. I'd consider The Empire Strikes First one of my top-5 favorite BR records, in fact, and I actually really enjoyed The Dissent of Man too.

Top five is tough. I love everything up to No Substance. The Process of Belief was good. Outside of that, there's been a handful of songs that I think were great. Let Them Eat War stands out for me on Empire, for instance. There were a few other songs on that album. Atheist Peace.

From the official BR Facebook page:

sitting backstage at the jimmy fallon show getting ready to play "the past is dead" tonight and we're talking about how amazing the response to "True North" has been. it's so humbling to be given this opportunity after 33 years, and how none of this would be possible without all of you... so it is with the utmost humility that we would like to say Thank YOU.

-jay & the rest

I'll be checking it out tomorrow morning, because there's no way I can suffer through a second more of Jimmy Fallon than I absolutely have to.

Archived