• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Homeowner's Insurance

Pete

What do you guys have? Any recommendations?

I've already gotten quotes from Allstate, Narragansett Bay Insurance Company (never heard of them, they called me), Liberty Mutual isn't taking any policies at the moment, and Geico doesn't write in New Jersey.

Thoughts?

You dont want Gieco, they are idiots. When we were buying our house, we called them and they said they wouldnt cover us because we were too close to the water, yet we arent in any flood zone and we are between 5 and 10 miles from the water. We use State Farm, they are decent, and we have a discount because we have the cars through them as well. Check who you have your car insurance through, they may give you a discount as well.

My wife and I had Gieco for years on our cars, and my Life Insurance guy from MetLife look at our policy and saw that we had almost no coverage. We called a couple of places and we got double the coverage of what Gieco offered us, and the price difference wasnt that much. I will never go back to Gieco again. Their inury liability patout was only around $100,000, and everyone we talked to said that if we were ever sued because of an accident, that wouldnt cover a settlement. Metlife is another company that is pretty good with home owners as well.

I have Allstate.

Went with them because they really helped out and worked with a friend who had storm damage. Technically, certain things were not covered but they helped him with the claims to get everything covered.

I've had no issues, and have had no issues with them.

My wife and I had Gieco for years on our cars, and my Life Insurance guy from MetLife look at our policy and saw that we had almost no coverage. We called a couple of places and we got double the coverage of what Gieco offered us, and the price difference wasnt that much. I will never go back to Gieco again. Their inury liability patout was only around $100,000, and everyone we talked to said that if we were ever sued because of an accident, that wouldnt cover a settlement. Metlife is another company that is pretty good with home owners as well.
100,000/300,000 is standard. I don't know anyone who has more than that, even homeowners.

100,000/300,000 is standard. I don't know anyone who has more than that, even homeowners.

They only covered up to $100,000, no more. Through State Farm we are covered to $250,000-$300,000, I forget off hand which it is, and it wasnt that much more than what we paid through Gieco. $100,000 is nothing nowadays for a lawsuit.

They only covered up to $100,000, no more. Through State Farm we are covered to $250,000-$300,000, I forget off hand which it is, and it wasnt that much more than what we paid through Gieco. $100,000 is nothing nowadays for a lawsuit.

Ah gotcha. 100/300 means that it's 100k per person, or if it's more than one person, 300k total. People might try and sue for that, but they'd rarely get it. I also have heard that newer litigation laws prevent people from having to pay more than their insurance covers.

Even 6-7 years ago my wife was in an accident and the person who hit her only had $50k in coverage and the insurance on pay her $25k. After the lawyer she got 15k. For a broken arm.

Ah gotcha. 100/300 means that it's 100k per person, or if it's more than one person, 300k total. People might try and sue for that, but they'd rarely get it. I also have heard that newer litigation laws prevent people from having to pay more than their insurance covers.

Even 6-7 years ago my wife was in an accident and the person who hit her only had $50k in coverage and the insurance on pay her $25k. After the lawyer she got 15k. For a broken arm.

Wow, thats a decent payout just for a broken arm. Either way for us, it worked out better because we have a decent rate with State Farm with all of our insurance under them, but I remember it was a pain in the ass when we were looking at companies.

Wow, thats a decent payout just for a broken arm. Either way for us, it worked out better because we have a decent rate with State Farm with all of our insurance under them, but I remember it was a pain in the ass when we were looking at companies.

I know people who've gotten close to $50k for lesser injuries.

At any rate, yea it's annoying. This Narraganset Bay so far has the cheapest quote, but I've never heard of them. I'm reluctant to go with a company I've never heard of.

I know people who've gotten close to $50k for lesser injuries.

At any rate, yea it's annoying. This Narraganset Bay so far has the cheapest quote, but I've never heard of them. I'm reluctant to go with a company I've never heard of.

The first company we had was a company we had never heard of as well. I felt the same, but you can also look at it in the fact that if they arent a huge company, they may get to you quicker god forbid you have something like what we had with Sandy. With the bigger companies and them having more clients, it could take longer for them to get to you. Do you need to get flood insurance, because that is another pain in the ass because only a few companies offer it. I am glad we didnt need it because most of the companies we talked to didnt have it.

Best thing to do with the company you havent heard of is to research reviews of the company. We are doing that now with home security systems, we are debating leaving Slomans.

The first company we had was a company we had never heard of as well. I felt the same, but you can also look at it in the fact that if they arent a huge company, they may get to you quicker god forbid you have something like what we had with Sandy. With the bigger companies and them having more clients, it could take longer for them to get to you. Do you need to get flood insurance, because that is another pain in the ass because only a few companies offer it. I am glad we didnt need it because most of the companies we talked to didnt have it.

Best thing to do with the company you havent heard of is to research reviews of the company. We are doing that now with home security systems, we are debating leaving Slomans.

An alarm is another thing I have to look into. Let me know how that goes, and I might just go with whomever you go with haha.

Yea, I guess whoever is insuring me at closing will make due until I can do some more research. I might just stay with Allstate if it's a difference of $10/month. They're all around $100/month. I don't need flood insurance.

I just want to make sure I'm adequately covered in therm of what they'd pay me if I had to rebuild.

An alarm is another thing I have to look into. Let me know how that goes, and I might just go with whomever you go with haha.

Yea, I guess whoever is insuring me at closing will make due until I can do some more research. I might just stay with Allstate if it's a difference of $10/month. They're all around $100/month. I don't need flood insurance.

I just want to make sure I'm adequately covered in therm of what they'd pay me if I had to rebuild.

If your gonna look at alarms, stay away from Slomans. We closed on our house about two months before we got married, and we had to do work, so we were done fixing it up by the first week of July. Slomans couldnt install the system until the week before our wedding. The guy came on a Tuesday to install it, and he was there from like 9 in the morning until like 6 or 7 that night and hadnt finished. He told us he would be back the next day, so I went over the next morning, we hadnt moved in fully yet, and no one showed up. I called at like 1100 and they told me we werent scheduled to have someone come and that it should have been installed already. I told them the guy didnt finish, and they tried giving me the run around that they couldnt get there until later in the week. I threatened them that if they didnt have someone at the house by 1, they were going to find all of their equipment in the street. She told me thats not possible, and I told them, then come get your shit from the street. They had not 1 but 2 guys there in a half hour and they finished the job. Now, 5 years later, our contract is up with them, and we havent gotten a call from them for an upgrade, and we have had numerous problems with them. They dont call the right number, our smoke detector went off when my wife was home, and they called me at work instead of the house line, which worked, it was just a little smoke from the oven when she was self cleaning it, but my wife had no idea that they called the fire department. It was just onetjhing after another, so we want to leave them, but we also want someone that has a carbon monoxide detector hooked up to the system, which is the problem we are having, some companies are just too expensive a month, like $60 a month for the coverage. So we are still looking.

If your gonna look at alarms, stay away from Slomans. We closed on our house about two months before we got married, and we had to do work, so we were done fixing it up by the first week of July. Slomans couldnt install the system until the week before our wedding. The guy came on a Tuesday to install it, and he was there from like 9 in the morning until like 6 or 7 that night and hadnt finished. He told us he would be back the next day, so I went over the next morning, we hadnt moved in fully yet, and no one showed up. I called at like 1100 and they told me we werent scheduled to have someone come and that it should have been installed already. I told them the guy didnt finish, and they tried giving me the run around that they couldnt get there until later in the week. I threatened them that if they didnt have someone at the house by 1, they were going to find all of their equipment in the street. She told me thats not possible, and I told them, then come get your shit from the street. They had not 1 but 2 guys there in a half hour and they finished the job. Now, 5 years later, our contract is up with them, and we havent gotten a call from them for an upgrade, and we have had numerous problems with them. They dont call the right number, our smoke detector went off when my wife was home, and they called me at work instead of the house line, which worked, it was just a little smoke from the oven when she was self cleaning it, but my wife had no idea that they called the fire department. It was just onetjhing after another, so we want to leave them, but we also want someone that has a carbon monoxide detector hooked up to the system, which is the problem we are having, some companies are just too expensive a month, like $60 a month for the coverage. So we are still looking.

This looks pretty good...

http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/

• 2 years later...
I never go for best price on insurance. To me it's worth the extra $30 a month or whatever to know and trust that your broker will get out of bed at 2 am to set things straight.

It's not about the price as much as the fact that my policy was written incorrectly and I've been over-insured for 2 years.

My friend is an agent for all state and got me a great rate. He also gives some sort of bonus gift card or something for going through him. If you're interested in getting a quote pm me and I'll connect the 2 of you. I switched my car insurance to them too. It was cheaper than geico and when bundled together with home owners insurance it made my policy cheaper as well

My friend is an agent for all state and got me a great rate. He also gives some sort of bonus gift card or something for going through him. If you're interested in getting a quote pm me and I'll connect the 2 of you. I switched my car insurance to them too. It was cheaper than geico and when bundled together with home owners insurance it made my policy cheaper as well

Thanks, that would be helpful!

Does he write in NJ? Not everyone who writes NY writes NJ.

Archived