• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Big of a Problem is Capitalism on Innovation?

Fuhgeddaboudit

A quotation that my friend has made on facebook, not sure if it's a quotation from a book or it's his own or whatever, but I find it interesting:

The biggest problem with capitalism is that if innovation or philanthropy does not equal profit than nothing gets done.

How big of a problem is capitalism on innovation? Why can't we find a way to cure cancer?

Discuss.

On the flip side, if there was no innovation... then what would you expect?

Unfortunately, in our modern society, the best innovations and ideas are a result of capitalism (apple, microsoft, etc). The most prominent example of non-capitalist conglomerate in the US is the government.

So, would you rather have Congress run your company, or the late Steve Jobs run your company?

We haven't found a cure for cancer, because it's an extremely difficult and unpredictable disease. To answer that question first.

I don't think capitalism is an issue for a lot of innovation. I hope most capitalists who put their hands on something unique are smart and honest off to not take top dollar if it is something this world needs. In the end, world peace, universal health, a happier society and social and generational success are keys to making money in a society. I don't think people would accept a cure of cancer beind sold the highest bidder.

My personal preference goes out to collaborations between public and private institutions. Loan public employees to private companies or allow private companies to invest in shares of public research. The discovery of the isolation of the human embryonic stem cell by a University of Wisconsin professor is a great example of how a hybrid of private and public funding can function parallel and lead to a great share of wealth and knowledge for everyone involved.

Most cancer research is funded and controlled by the us govt. scientists make more money off of researching the next bath salt strain, seedless watermelon or testosterone replacement.

There is no capitalism when it comes to cancer research.

There is no capitalism when it comes to cancer research.

A lot of cancer research is stem cell research, which happens to be quite a political issue. There are a lot of states where cancer research is done through private investors, donors or alumni funds for colleges, because federal nor state budgets are allowed to pay for it if stem cells are included.

On the flip side, if there was no innovation... then what would you expect?

Unfortunately, in our modern society, the best innovations and ideas are a result of capitalism (apple, microsoft, etc). The most prominent example of non-capitalist conglomerate in the US is th

I think that believing that corporations like Apple and Microsoft are great ideas in the context of improving life is a big mistake. Sure, they make neat toys, but there are other ideas that truly improve life, globaly, and they be kept as as far away from profiteers as possible. Think insulin and stuff of that nature. Not iphones.

Never said you can't mention them. I just think they are fast becoming a symbol of what's wrong with us. And as I say that I just ordered my iphone 5 today lol..

I guess I'm off point a bit here, but I really just hate profiteering off peoples health.

Archived