• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

SNYRangersblog

Phil

What he did could have been easily accomplished by RT Strickland's tweet from the SNYRB twitter account.

Exactly my point, which means if all he truly wanted was to quickly share that information with his readers, a simple RT would have accomplished that for anyone who follows his account (over 600 followers). So it's obvious that he was looking for more than just the sharing of information. He's looking for hits.

This. If you are going to put it on your blog, then at least add some type of contribution of your own. I don't care if it's one sentence.

This.

You'll laugh at the source, but there's a wrestling blog I follow that does exactly this.

Example:

Screen%20Shot%202012-07-31%20at%208.41.31%20PM.png

Not only is his blog a shining example of the echo chamber effect, but it's yellow journalism at it's finest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

Yellow journalism, or the yellow press, is a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers.[1] Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism.[1] By extension, the term yellow journalism is used today as a pejorative to decry any journalism that treats news in an unprofessional or unethical fashion.[2]

This.

You'll laugh at the source, but there's a wrestling blog I follow that does exactly this.

Example:

Screen%20Shot%202012-07-31%20at%208.41.31%20PM.png

Not only is his blog a shining example of the echo chamber effect, but it's yellow journalism at it's finest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

Yeah, good example. The whole thing just baffles me because I don't understand why you wouldn't want to add your own thoughts. That's the whole point of having your own blog.

Yeah, good example. The whole thing just baffles me because I don't understand why you wouldn't want to add your own thoughts. That's the whole point of having your own blog.

It's exactly the point of having your own blog. Why the hell should people go to "Blog A" for information about the Rangers when "Blog B" actually provides the same thing and is actually coming straight from the horses mouth?

Few things. He's paraphrasing the tweet usually, so at it's base, he is adding something to it.

He allows comments directly underneath, so he could be looking to take a fact/opinion and then engage with his readers about it.

Finally, a blog is not journalism precisely because there are no standards for it. Standards are what separate journalism from other forms of media. To hold a blog to a standard would be similar to holding a forum to a standard.

If you don't find value in a blog, skip it. Not hard. If you follow Adam for any length of time on twitter, you'll know that he does this, not just with Twitter twits but also with news articles and other blog posts.

Few things. He's paraphrasing the tweet usually, so at it's base, he is adding something to it.

He allows comments directly underneath, so he could be looking to take a fact/opinion and then engage with his readers about it.

Finally, a blog is not journalism precisely because there are no standards for it. Standards are what separate journalism from other forms of media. To hold a blog to a standard would be similar to holding a forum to a standard.

If you don't find value in a blog, skip it. Not hard. If you follow Adam for any length of time on twitter, you'll know that he does this, not just with Twitter twits but also with news articles and other blog posts.

No, a blog is journalism, because blogs, by definition are simply sites where "entries" are posted designed to provide information to the readers of said blog, in reverse chronological order.

That means that Andrew Gross' blog, Steve Zipay's blog, Scott Cullen's blog, Bob McKenzie's blog, etc. etc. all fall under journalistic standard, same as anyone's blog that claims to be providing information to the public.

Rotter is lazy. Flat out lazy. He's a non-lying version of Eklund. He doesn't always paraphrase, either, as you saw in the OP. How is that a paraphrase in any sense? He simply pulled in an entire tweet and setn ti out as an "article". Standard yellow journalism. He just produces headlines designed to entice his readers/followers to click through to his site where he provides them with information that is almost always quite literally copied and pasted there — none of which is his own.

He's simply echoing existing sources, which means the purpose of following him is REDUNDANT, as you could just as soon follow the sources he's lifting from instead and not have to worry about a middle man.

No, a blog is journalism, because blogs, by definition are simply sites where "entries" are posted designed to provide information to the readers of said blog, in reverse chronological order.

That means that Andrew Gross' blog, Steve Zipay's blog, Scott Cullen's blog, Bob McKenzie's blog, etc. etc. all fall under journalistic standard, same as anyone's blog that claims to be providing information to the public.

Rotter is lazy. Flat out lazy. He's a non-lying version of Eklund. He doesn't always paraphrase, either, as you saw in the OP. How is that a paraphrase in any sense? He simply pulled in an entire tweet and setn ti out as an "article". Standard yellow journalism. He just produces headlines designed to entice his readers/followers to click through to his site where he provides them with information that is almost always quite literally copied and pasted there ? none of which is his own.

He's simply echoing existing sources, which means the purpose of following him is REDUNDANT, as you could just as soon follow the sources he's lifting from instead and not have to worry about a middle man.

I can go start a blog in 2 minutes, fill it full of flat out lies in another 5. In 7 minutes I can be a journalist? I don't think so. By that logic, every 12 year old girl with a diary is a journalist once her little brother finds it and starts sharing it with her friends.

Is this person a journalist:

http://mlperrorsaremagic.tumblr.com/

I can go start a blog in 2 minutes, fill it full of flat out lies in another 5. In 7 minutes I can be a journalist? I don't think so. By that logic, every 12 year old girl with a diary is a journalist once her little brother finds it and starts sharing it with her friends.

Is this person a journalist:

http://mlperrorsaremagic.tumblr.com/

A shitty journalist, yes. So long as you're providing articles where there are words to be read, you're technically a journalist.

A shitty journalist, yes. So long as you're providing articles where there are words to be read, you're technically a journalist.

So are we all journalists in a round table on hockey and other topics here?

So are we all journalists in a round table on hockey and other topics here?

Nope. We're closer to the commenters on someone's blog. The only journalists we have here are the ones who write their own articles specifically — Jason (BBBE), Adam (Herman_NYRBlog), etc.

Nope. We're closer to the commenters on someone's blog. The only journalists we have here are the ones who write their own articles specifically — Jason (BBBE), Adam (Herman_NYRBlog), etc.

I would look at some of the posts on here and disagree. Sure, sometimes a post is just a comment or a one liner, but we often have multi-paragraph (that's muhl-teye) posts that if you gave them a title and put them in a blog would be indistinguishable. So is it content, delivery method or something else that makes published words journalism?

I would look at some of the posts on here and disagree. Sure, sometimes a post is just a comment or a one liner, but we often have multi-paragraph (that's muhl-teye) posts that if you gave them a title and put them in a blog would be indistinguishable. So is it content, delivery method or something else that makes published words journalism?

Presentation and delivery method are most important IMO. If the "post" or "article" is designed to be informative, to argue a point, and is well researched, well written and put together properly, and then is published with a headline on a blog or website designed to provide users' with that type of information, it's journalism.

Archived