• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

HDMI to USB

Fuhgeddaboudit

I am looking to buy a HDMI cable to hooks up to my TV to my laptop, but the problem is my laptop is a macbook pro which doesn't have a HDMI port.

Now I've been looking around for HDMI to USB adapters as well, but I am afraid some of these from amazon don't really work OR some of them are just so damn expensive.

Has anyone done this before?

If so, I'd appreciate some help on suggestions etc.

I have one that's from an old cellphone charger. Works fine. Think it was an old verizon phone.

Check out some of the chords to some of your newer pieces of technology. Lots of things come with these chords, phones, batteries, GPS, etc.

I am looking to buy a HDMI cable to hooks up to my TV to my laptop, but the problem is my laptop is a macbook pro which doesn't have a HDMI port.

Now I've been looking around for HDMI to USB adapters as well, but I am afraid some of these from amazon don't really work OR some of them are just so damn expensive.

Has anyone done this before?

If so, I'd appreciate some help on suggestions etc.

What year/model is your MBP?

You likely need one of either an Apple Display port or MINI DVI to USB converter cable.

Does your TV take HDMI?

What year/model is your MBP?

You likely need one of either an Apple Display port or MINI DVI to USB converter cable.

Does your TV take HDMI?

My TV does take HDMI, I have my PS3 hooked up to it, but I can obviously take it out when I need to use either/or.

I'm not sure what year or model my macbook pro is specifically. I have to check when I get home actually. I think it was 2009 model IIRC, but I can confirm it later

You can't hook it up via USB, you have to use the Mini display port or the thunderbolt port if its a Unibody Macbook pro (silver with a black keyboard)...or Mini DVI (silver body and keyboard), like Phil said.

If it is a thunderbolt port an HDMI to TB adapter will transfer audio. If it's a mini display port is may or not transfer audio and you may need another cable. If it's mini DVI, it will not transfer sound, and like above you'll need another cable to do so.

My TV does take HDMI, I have my PS3 hooked up to it, but I can obviously take it out when I need to use either/or.

I'm not sure what year or model my macbook pro is specifically. I have to check when I get home actually. I think it was 2009 model IIRC, but I can confirm it later

If you can, snap a photo of the ports on the left side of the model. You're either going to need a Mini Display or an Apple Display connection to secure to the machine itself, and then from there you can go out to an HDMI for sure (I have one). I'm not sure if they exist to USB, though I wouldn't doubt it.

I'd strongly suggest going with the HDMI port — just a better overall quality, but you WILL NOT CARRY SOUND over, so just remember that depending on where your set-up is, you'll need speakers the same as you would for your computer normally if you intend to play anything that'd require it.

Mini Display/Apple Display ? HDMI (male or female) ? HDMI (male or female) to your television.

If you can, snap a photo of the ports on the left side of the model. You're either going to need a Mini Display or an Apple Display connection to secure to the machine itself, and then from there you can go out to an HDMI for sure (I have one). I'm not sure if they exist to USB, though I wouldn't doubt it.

I'd strongly suggest going with the HDMI port — just a better overall quality, but you WILL NOT CARRY SOUND over, so just remember that depending on where your set-up is, you'll need speakers the same as you would for your computer normally if you intend to play anything that'd require it.

Mini Display/Apple Display ? HDMI (male or female) ? HDMI (male or female) to your television.

stop copies me! :D

Woah, need help here too. I have a MBP, it was the new model when I bought it a year ago. I bought the cable to transfer the picture to the TV, but get no sound. It connects to the port with the little lightning bolt with the arrow picture. What do I need to buy to get sound?

Speakers. They don't transfer sound, even through HDMI.

Damn, ok thanks.

It blows, I know. We bought a set of Bose computer speakers that we set up in our living room so whenever I have the computer connected to watch something downloaded, it works and doesn't sound too bad.

It blows, I know. We bought a set of Bose computer speakers that we set up in our living room so whenever I have the computer connected to watch something downloaded, it works and doesn't sound too bad.

Wait what? I'm confused. Why cant you hook up your macbook to your TV / audio system?

Wait what? I'm confused. Why cant you hook up your macbook to your TV / audio system?

Because Apple loves to produce proprietary technology that forces you to buy THEIR products (or the products they are under contract with) and ONLY their products.

There is no direct HDMI feed from any Mac machine, so you have to purchase proprietary converters, 90% of which do not transfer audio.

Archived