• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

HDMI to USB

Fuhgeddaboudit

Because Apple loves to produce proprietary technology that forces you to buy THEIR products (or the products they are under contract with) and ONLY their products.

There is no direct HDMI feed from any Mac machine, so you have to purchase proprietary converters, 90% of which do not transfer audio.

Ok but it sounded like you were saying you cant get audio from your mbp to your TV, which is totally untrue. What about using the 3.5mm port and converting it to whatever your input on your TV/receiver is? Totally doable.

Then what are some better speakers?

Depends on a lot of things. Do you have a receiver / amp already? Budget? Room setup? What are you specifically using them for?

What Bose does well is design. But what's so cool about audio is all of that stuff they tell you about their technology isn't all that important. It gives them a selling point, and it gives them the ability to sell products with pretty shitty components (for what you're paying) and still have it sound ok-good. But those components are what make sound happen. You can't turn water into wine, no matter how much design and "technology" you throw at it.

I used to be into all of that stuff. Once I got my set, I didn't really keep up with it, but I know there are some awesome forums where you could post that info and you'd get a few different "audiophiles" to give you recommendations.

You could also just go to a store (not best buy) and listen for yourself. Listen to the Bose next to another option of the same price. Ignore the names. What you think sounds best is best.

I should have said, that what Bose does well is marketing. Here. Just from doing a quick google search. Here's more than you ever wanted to know about Bose and why "audiophiles" and people who's careers revolve around audio don't like Bose products. I may be even giving them more credit for their design than I should be. http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html Theres a summary at the bottom.

And more importantly, here is what the same guy recommends instead. http://www.intellexual.net/speaker5.html

There are a whole bunch of options there. It might serve as a starting point. But again, I recommend going and listening for yourself and/or posting some info on one of those audio forums.

Why bother is the final answer lol@Mac.

?

Why not? I hate PCs and Windows operated systems, Mac has always been my thing.

Problem is, I don't want to get that Bootcamp shit to have windows on my Mac.

So I might have to go get a cheap netbook or something for Window functions

You don't have to "get" Boot Camp. It's on your OS disk, and it's very easy to do provided you have a Windows disk and enough hard drive space.

I'm worried about viruses and shit, being everyone I know is telling me being on Windows while on your Mac can easily get you viruses.

Not sure how true that is, but I've heard that from many people, including Apple employees

I'm worried about viruses and shit, being everyone I know is telling me being on Windows while on your Mac can easily get you viruses.

Not sure how true that is, but I've heard that from many people, including Apple employees

Well, here's how you don't get viruses: install free anti-virus software, don't go to stupid sites or click on any pop-ups, and don't open any suspicious emails.

Windows or no Windows, not being diligent on the Internet will get you into trouble.

Well, here's how you don't get viruses: install free anti-virus software, don't go to stupid sites or click on any pop-ups, and don't open any suspicious emails.

Windows or no Windows, not being diligent on the Internet will get you into trouble.

But somehow I still always got viruses when I used to take those precautions, that's why I hated Windows lol.

Somehow I haven't seen any signs of slowing down on my Mac ever since I bought it 4 years ago.

Perfect condition.

I guess I'll probably download Windows or whatever on it just to do some basic functions on it

But somehow I still always got viruses when I used to take those precautions, that's why I hated Windows lol.

Somehow I haven't seen any signs of slowing down on my Mac ever since I bought it 4 years ago.

Perfect condition.

I guess I'll probably download Windows or whatever on it just to do some basic functions on it

Do whatever works for you.

Okay so this is what I bought to hook up my macbook pro to the TV

This is HDMI adapter to display port. I have my own HDMI cable at home already so I basically just have to wire the HDMI cable to the displayport and then the adapter to the macbook pro. CORRECT?

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m533/mikeglongo/IMG_1360-1.jpg

This here, since I was already out at Best Buy and decided to get it here, this is the audio wire that will hookup to the component or composite ports on the TV and they will also go to the headphone jack (3.5 mm) so I can hear the sound through my TV [more preferably a speaker or sound system?]

[img]http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m533/mikeglongo/IMG_1361.jpg[/img]

You shouldn't need the audio cable if the MINI display to HDMI works. Don't open the second — you can probably return it.

Just connect the MD to HDMI to an HDMI cable and plug directly into your system/television. Sound should carry, as HDMI carries audio on it's own.

If not, then you'll need to port the audio as well, likely with that cable you bought.

You shouldn't need the audio cable if the MINI display to HDMI works. Don't open the second — you can probably return it.

Just connect the MD to HDMI to an HDMI cable and plug directly into your system/television. Sound should carry, as HDMI carries audio on it's own.

If not, then you'll need to port the audio as well, likely with that cable you bought.

I think I messaged you about it earlier, not sure if it sent?

Anyway what I said in the message was, my macbookpro is a 2009 version and only 2010+ versions were made with audio support, so it's really a hardware situation with the laptops.

Therefore, I did not buy the HDMI with audio support because no sound would have came through using the adapter in the above picture.

So yeah, I need that wire.

But all in all, those should be good help me. Let's just cross our fingers and hope it works this time

I think I messaged you about it earlier, not sure if it sent?

Anyway what I said in the message was, my macbookpro is a 2009 version and only 2010+ versions were made with audio support, so it's really a hardware situation with the laptops.

Therefore, I did not buy the HDMI with audio support because no sound would have came through using the adapter in the above picture.

So yeah, I need that wire.

But all in all, those should be good help me. Let's just cross our fingers and hope it works this time

Ah, OK. Wasn't aware of that.

HDMI carries audio, but does the mini-display port put out audio? I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Hence the name mini-display.

HDMI carries audio, but does the mini-display port put out audio? I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Hence the name mini-display.
Depends on the year. I have a 2011 MBP with a mini display port, and when connected, sound comes out of the external monitor speakers, not the laptop speakers.

In an earlier post, that's what I wrote.

mid 2010 generation macbook pros and over are now audio support display port.

Anything older than that has no audio support minidisplay port. You must get an audio cable

Archived