• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Ryan Reaves From VGK for 2022 3rd-Round Pick; Re-Sign to $1.75mx1

Phil

Yeah, I thought he would be a nice one-year kind of "stop gap" addition. He kind of struggled this year to the point where Vegas wasn't even playing him. We really don't know how effective he's going to be. I am not too hopeful. I know he won't be playing every game anyway, but they should probably wait and see exactly what he has left and if he can even fight well anymore before extending him.

Sign Ritchie for the 3rd line, move Blais to the 4th, and Reaves as the 13th forward and you will not hear a single complaint out of me. If you did that, I think that 3rd would be on par with Tampa's last year.

This. Gotta have guys that can play and contribute. Some are saying Blais may be able to, due to his Jrs output. Shit, I thought Lemieux could play, so why not this guy? But yeah Ritchie would be icing on the cake, and he could make others expendable.

Is there going to be a taxi squad this year?

Have they gone over board though?

Reaves and tinordi, one d one forward. Neither of which will play 82 games.

Goodrow and blais are grinders who will help the lineup.

I was the first one to say “can’t wait to see us over react” but these have been good acquisitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, I don't hate this trade, but we need to stop saying they won't play 82 games.

They might not, but the games they will play are going to be important divisional games against teams will be battling for playoff position with. And they're not going to be meaningless minutes or Tuesday nights versus Calgary.

Again, I don't hate this trade, but we need to stop saying they won't play 82 games.

They might not, but the games they will play are going to be important divisional games against teams will be battling for playoff position with. And they're not going to be meaningless minutes or Tuesday nights versus Calgary.

I mean I don’t know how much he has deteriorated over the summer but it’s not like he’s completely useless out there either. If he’s in over gauthier or Rooney, or Barron for a few games (hope Barron runs with his opportunity and isn’t the odd man out) I don’t see the big issue. That fourth line is now built to bang and he only adds to that.

Of course if gallant decides to use him for 82 games on the third line then yes it’s an issue. But let’s bomb thay bridge IF we get to it, not before.

I mean I don’t know how much he has deteriorated over the summer but it’s not like he’s completely useless out there either. If he’s in over gauthier or Rooney, or Barron for a few games (hope Barron runs with his opportunity and isn’t the odd man out) I don’t see the big issue. That fourth line is now built to bang and he only adds to that.

Of course if gallant decides to use him for 82 games on the third line then yes it’s an issue. But let’s bomb thay bridge IF we get to it, not before.

He was healthy scratched the last 2-3 games of the playoffs. Not a great sign.

We'll see how it goes, for entertainment value if nothing else.

He was healthy scratched the last 2-3 games of the playoffs. Not a great sign.

We'll see how it goes, for entertainment value if nothing else.

Could have just been a game style decision. Not sure who played instead of him but maybe they didn’t need the rough style of play. Montreal’s a good grinding team but they’re not exactly “tough”

Just a thought

Who cares if he gets suspended. The Rangers got a 4th from Vegas in the Howden deal and gave up a 3rd to get Reeves. Basically a wash. Reeves doesn't have to play all the time. Point is they now have the biggest baddest lion to dress when they feel necessary. He can play hockey too. No more Martin, Wilson, etc laughing from the bench as they run around punishing our team knowing all to well the Rangers couldn't respond anyway other than on the scoreboard. Now with Reeves and the others the Rangers can respond. The game is changing but the physical aspect and intimidation will always exist to some extent.

That's the problem. It's that these guys are here to respond. If something happens they are there for revenge. Is that harder to play against?

I thought the idea was to have players that set the tone and play like the Isles 4th line, or have a guy like Wilson who will be on the ice against other teams top players and scare the shit out of them.

Everyone is saying these moves aren't reactionary. Yet every talking point is that now the Rangers have a response.

Fuck response. I want players that can play and play mean. I want Blais out there hitting everyone and then crashing the net for garbage goals. We need players that take other teams top players off their game. Not a guy to put out there for a theatrical fight after someone just clobbered Zibanejad..

The cost for Reaves isn't the problem. Though it's odd the 2 teams couldn't come to an agreement of a Howden for Reaves swap instead flip flopping draft picks.

Reaves 5 years ago seems more like what this team could use. He was a kinda serviceable player. Capable of more than just fighting.

I'm probably over reacting but I'd rather hold on to Gauthier than carry Reaves, as I think it probably comes down to that.

This thought that the Rangers didn't have anyone to put out there to match up for Wilson in that last game forget they had Geerston. You want to goon it up, there's your answer. They just didn't want to have that bush league identity from the aftermath had they done it.

I think they failed this offseason and tried to mimic the Islanders as well as bring in a Wilson nemesis. They missed the mark and over did it.

I have this bad feeling we are going to see entirely too much of Goodrow, Blais and even Reaves being shuffled into the top 6.... Sandy McCarthy days all over again. Somewhat entertaining, yet shitty end result.

Honestly hope I'm wrong.

Yeah I guess, but that's because I dont think they see him as a 3rd line C and the top 6 winger spots are taken. Plus on his current contract Chytil should have a decent amount of value, so it would make sense including him in a trade.

I can also see them keeping him to see if he's capable of taking the 2C from Strome, and shipping him out if he can't do that.

I'm all for giving Kakko and Kravtsov the opportunity to play in the too 6, but can we slow down with the thought that they have these spots locked down? These 2 have proven NOTHING at the NHL level. There's no guarantee that they take the jobs and run with it. Who knows what Gallant will think of their efforts. Maybe he deems them as needing time in the AHL like AV did with Kreider upon his arrival.

I WANT those 2 to pan out, but I'm not really expecting BOTH to. I think Gallant will most definitely use a grinder like Goodrow in the top 6. He will no doubt experiment with the idea, whether it's Goodrow, Blais, Hunt, Reaves or even Rooney. That's not a complaint either. Teams do this. They lack grit in the top 6. Probably going to see a guy sprinkled in there to change that.

If that happens, Gallant has said something about not using top prospects on the 4th line.. So, maybe one or both eventually have to land in Hartford. Everyone's ok with Jones going down there to develop. Yet people freak the fuck out when this is suggested. This is certainly a possibility. One I hope doesn't have to happen .

Gallant likes Reeves and Reeves played well for Gallant at Vegas. That means a lot whether anyone else thinks so. Let's see what the extension price is. It may only be $1 million which wouldn't be too bad.

Link:

I like that. It shows a genuine caring for the player. One thing analytics doesn't account for is team identity and culture. An additional half million for Reaves, an additional half million for Goodrow, etc., is a small price to pay to help establish those things.

I like that. It shows a genuine caring for the player. One thing analytics doesn't account for is team identity and culture. An additional half million for Reaves, an additional half million for Goodrow, etc., is a small price to pay to help establish those things.

Yup.