• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

FLA Re-Sign Sam Bennett to 4-Year/$17.6M Extension; $4.4M AAV

Phil

Chytil shouldn't get anything more than Buchnevich got on his last deal. $3.25 max.

On a 2 year deal, yes. That cheap bridge is why Buch isn't here though. It'll be why Strome isn't here anymore if he's traded because we don't want to pay him.

They need to get ahead of it. Try to lock in more term for a bit higher AAV. I'd start with Chytil, and probably try to continue the trend with a Kakko or Kravtsov next year and Lafreniere or Miller the next...if possible. Cheap 2 year bridges will hamstring the team and force them to consistently cut valuable guys off the roster to afford raises.

On a 2 year deal, yes. That cheap bridge is why Buch isn't here though. It'll be why Strome isn't here anymore if he's traded because we don't want to pay him.

They need to get ahead of it. Try to lock in more term for a bit higher AAV. I'd start with Chytil, and probably try to continue the trend with a Kakko or Kravtsov next year and Lafreniere or Miller the next...if possible. Cheap 2 year bridges will hamstring the team and force them to consistently cut valuable guys off the roster to afford raises.

I agree with this. I just don't think Chytil is the one to do that with because of how in question his future is.

I don't even think Chytil will make it to the regular season, Drew. If we make any more additions, which is very possible, either he'll be the asset used to acquire it, or there just simply may not be any more room on the boat! ;)

I agree with this. I just don't think Chytil is the one to do that with because of how in question his future is.
Exactly. That's the approach when you're sure you're locking up a guy you need or want.

Not Chytil.

Obviously I disagree on Chytil. His ES production and underlying numbers strongly suggest to lock him in. But, for the record, I doubt Drury goes this direction with him. He very likely gets a small bridge or is traded.