• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Barclay Goodrow to 6-Year/$21.6M Extension; $3.6M AAV

Phil

Sign him at all rather then developing this type of player considering the other young players we will have to pay. It's a waste of money but whatever, he and Dolan are exhibiting no patience. I'm half sure Drury is just a hand puppet at this point.

How long will it take to do that?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple years. Or give up better assets to trade for a better, younger, cheaper version that is actually worth paying and signing long term. One that is actually worth building around. We have a top ranked system and there is basically nothing we don't have the assets to acquire.

They're not building around Goodrow. They brought in Goodrow as part of what they're building around Laf, Kakko, Zib, and Panarin.

They're not building around Goodrow. They brought in Goodrow as part of what they're building around Laf, Kakko, Zib, and Panarin.

I know they aren't, they could trade for and build around Tkachuk if this type of player is so important to them and then we wouldn't have to pay nearly $4mil for 6 years of a marginal player like Goodrow.

Couple years. Or give up better assets to trade for a better, younger, cheaper version that is actually worth paying and signing long term. One that is actually worth building around. We have a top ranked system and there is basically nothing we don't have the assets to acquire.

Have you seen the reports around the league? Every team is trying to find the next Goodrow and Coleman. Teams that think they have a future Goodrow will covet them, and teams that don't are going to be making every move to acquire them. It's harder than you think.

• Like 1

I think you also need to consider that Goodrow's linemates are highly likely to be younger players. By the time we're ready to pay these guys, guess who's in year 5 of his deal?

Like...Morgan Barron or Will Cuylle could develop into the Coleman/Goodrow-ish types, maybe Richards/Rueschoff. None of those guys are going to earn any significant money until 2026. It's literally fine to spend probably 500K more than we should have on Goodrow.

• Like 1

I'm figuring Barron for 2 more seasons....

Cuylle is probably 3 seasons from being our unicorn...

This contract seems to ride that timeline. But like Phil said, the contract is structured very well to make the last 2 years more attractive to a pursuing team for something like a trade deadline deal, if we're not contending.

Not to mention, this guy is a GREAT player to learn from...checks pretty much all the boxes we've been asking for, and his Stanley Cup experience is worth a TON!!

You fucking guys beat me to it...I type like a freakin snail!!! :rofl:

Have you seen the reports around the league? Every team is trying to find the next Goodrow and Coleman. Teams that think they have a future Goodrow will covet them, and teams that don't are going to be making every move to acquire them. It's harder than you think.

Well I'm pretty confident in Cuylle, so when he's ready in a year or two we're gonna be regretting the Goodrow cap hit as he's broken down. Other teams are laughing at this contract and Rangers fans are trying to rationalize it. It's the kind of contract for the type of player and in the age bracket that never ages well at all.

I know they aren't, they could trade for and build around Tkachuk if this type of player is so important to them and then we wouldn't have to pay nearly $4mil for 6 years of a marginal player like Goodrow.

Except to get Tkachuk you're trading away a bunch of significant pieces and looking at paying him $9+ million per year real soon. How is that relevant to Goodrow?

• Like 1

Well I'm pretty confident in Cuylle, so when he's ready in a year or two we're gonna be regretting the Goodrow cap hit as he's broken down. Other teams are laughing at this contract and Rangers fans are trying to rationalize it. It's the kind of contract for the type of player and in the age bracket that never ages well at all.

What's the downside to having Goodrow and Cuylle? Cuylle has also played 18 games in the last year. He's going to have to spend next season in junior again. He's probably three years away from making any type of meaningful contribution. Do you think a rookie is seriously going to have the same impact as Goodrow now? Do you think Goodrow was the player that he is now when he debuted with San Jose? No. Coleman and Goodrow didn't turn into the players they are now until they were around 26. Cuylle is 19. Barron is 22.

Cuylle's going to slide again next year, and thus won't even be an RFA until Goodrow's exiting his fourth year. Until then, he makes 851k against the cap.

Until we actually have the bird in the hand, I'm not worried about what Goodrow's deal does to our bottom 6 - a group that's basically ELCs, Kevin Rooney, and occasionally Filip Chytil - because it's all ELCs.

Except to get Tkachuk you're trading away a bunch of significant pieces and looking at paying him $9+ million per year real soon. How is that relevant to Goodrow?

If you don't pay Goodrow what you paid him and have a guy like Blackwell on his contract it's much better value to pay $9 mil for Tkachuk. I don't think you should pay 4th liners. Fill that out with entry level contract and cheap vets that have the skillsets to do it. How do you let Fast walk because you don't want to pay him and now pay a grinder almost $4 mil on a long term deal? It's backwards.

• Like 1

What's the downside to having Goodrow and Cuylle? Cuylle has also played 18 games in the last year. He's going to have to spend next season in junior again. He's probably three years away from making any type of meaningful contribution. Do you think a rookie is seriously going to have the same impact as Goodrow now? Do you think Goodrow was the player that he is now when he debuted with San Jose? No. Coleman and Goodrow didn't turn into the players they are now until they were around 26. Cuylle is 19. Barron is 22.

I believe they changed the rule yesterday and Cuylle will be allowed to play in the AHL this year because he played there last year.

I believe they changed the rule yesterday and Cuylle will be allowed to play in the AHL this year because he played there last year.

Oh cool - I saw something quick on twitter, but then the feed refreshed and it was gone.

If you don't pay Goodrow what you paid him and have a guy like Blackwell on his contract it's much better value to pay $9 mil for Tkachuk. I don't think you should pay 4th liners. Fill that out with entry level contract and cheap vets that have the skillsets to do it. How do you let Fast walk because you don't want to pay him and now pay a grinder almost $4 mil on a long term deal? It's backwards.

You can't afford Tkachuck, Panarin, Laf, Zib and a second line center.

Second, Goodrow and Fast are not equal comparables. Goodrow played over 17 minutes a night in the conference an cup finals, but keep calling him a 4th liner.

Actually just looked it up and the rule, which isn't finalized yet says 20 games played is required from last year. He played 18, so that would suck.

Shit. He's still too young to play in the AHL, regardless of the new rule? I was thinking he might be old enough next season.

You can't afford Tkachuck, Panarin, Laf, Zib and a second line center.

Second, Goodrow and Fast are not equal comparables. Goodrow played over 17 minutes a night in the conference an cup finals, but keep calling him a 4th liner.

Because he's a 4th liner imo. He projected to less that 30 points over an 82 game season last year. The only reason he's seen as more now is because he's now paid so much.

Because he's a 4th liner imo. He projected to less that 30 points over an 82 game season last year. The only reason he's seen as more now is because he's now paid so much.

No. He's thought of that way because a team that won the Stanley Cup used him as a third liner regardless of his production.

If developing a Goodrow were so easy Tampa wouldn't have traded a first for him and the Rangers wouldn't have been one of a number of interested parties in signing him.

I could change the brakes on my car but, you know, sometimes it's worth the additional cost to let a pro do it in half the time if I got things to do and places to go.

We got places to go.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro