• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Brett Howden to 1-Year/$885K Extension

I thought they already could?

Just helps that Seattle, if they take him, it helps get to their minimum contracts for next year (rule that they cant just only take RFA's/Pending UFAs)

Nah, he was an RFA so he technically didn't have a contract so Rangers previously couldn't expose him. Now they can.

I thought they already could?

Just helps that Seattle, if they take him, it helps get to their minimum contracts for next year (rule that they cant just only take RFA's/Pending UFAs)

Rangers were going to have to expose both Rooney and Blackwell because they need 2 forwards under contract next season who played the minimum number of required games. Howden gets added into that mix now, so they can choose one of the three to protect.

Nah, he was an RFA so he technically didn't have a contract so Rangers previously couldn't expose him. Now they can.

RFAs who are eligible for the expansion draft can be exposed/have to be protected if you don't want them to potentially be claimed. However, you have to expose a minimum number of signed players who meet game played minimums. Before this signing the Rangers would have to protected RFAs like Buch and Chytil, leaving them with one more protection spot for a forward. They would have had to expose Rooney and Blackwell, while protecting one of Gauthier or Howden. Howden signing allows them to, for example, protect Blackwell, expose Rooney and Howden for the minimum, and leave Gauthier unprotected if that's how they decide to proceed.

It gives them options, basically.

• Like 1

RFAs who are eligible for the expansion draft can be exposed/have to be protected if you don't want them to potentially be claimed. However, you have to expose a minimum number of signed players who meet game played minimums. Before this signing the Rangers would have to protected RFAs like Buch and Chytil, leaving them with one more protection spot for a forward. They would have had to expose Rooney and Blackwell, while protecting one of Gauthier or Howden. Howden signing allows them to, for example, protect Blackwell, expose Rooney and Howden for the minimum, and leave Gauthier unprotected if that's how they decide to proceed.

It gives them options, basically.

Yes, that's what I was going for. I didn't know RFAs were eligible though, that doesn't really make a ton of sense for Seattle to pick an RFA who could be offer-sheeted.

Yes, that's what I was going for. I didn't know RFAs were eligible though, that doesn't really make a ton of sense for Seattle to pick an RFA who could be offer-sheeted.

They have to pick at least 20 players under contract next year, so they're limited in how many RFAs/UFAs they can select. They also have to choose players under contract that account for between 60-100% of last year's cap ceiling. They have a free agent signing window where they could in theory claim a UFA, sign them, and that would could as the pick from their prior team, and I assume also go towards the signed players/% of cap calculations, although I'm not certain on that.

I’ve said for a bit, I’m curious to see what he does this season. Still a lot of potential and the tools necessary to fill holes on this roster. (Serious)

I am too, Josh....I'd hate to believe that this guy is a total wash out. When he came out of the draft he was touted pretty highly from what I remember....and to think this is all we got out of him??? I'm hoping that without being part of the breakfast club, and a different voice in his ear, maybe....MAYBE.....he can blossom into that big body 4C that can play productive minutes and can help take away an opposition scoring player's chances.

Either that or I'm gonna shoot down to MSG with a bottle of Jagermeister and introduce him to MY club!!! :rofl:

885k, one way deal.

Total cover your ass deal for Howden. The "trade" we made is to give him a 20k raise and expose him, but GUARANTEE he makes the 885 whether Seattle takes him or he's demoted.

Everything.

Size, speed, offense, leadership... just not able to show it under previous circumstances.

Dude lit it up in junior hockey.

When he was drafted TSN literally said: he won't score goals but he'll be a bottom 6 forward and the coach will love him. I don't think offense was ever part of his outlook.

885k, one way deal.

Total cover your ass deal for Howden. The "trade" we made is to give him a 20k raise and expose him, but GUARANTEE he makes the 885 whether Seattle takes him or he's demoted.

I think it's both a favor to Howden and a strategic move by the Rangers to give him a one-way contract. I think it's clear they have chosen to expose him and protect someone else (Blackwell or Gauthier), but I also think this hints that they would rather not lose Howden in the expansion draft. It's a poison pill. They are telling Seattle if they want to take a fringe player like that from us, they will be on the hook for his full salary if he doesn't make the club out of camp.

I think it's both a favor to Howden and a strategic move by the Rangers to give him a one-way contract. I think it's clear they have chosen to expose him and protect someone else (Blackwell or Gauthier), but I also think this hints that they would rather not lose Howden in the expansion draft. It's a poison pill. They are telling Seattle if they want to take a fringe player like that from us, they will be on the hook for his full salary if he doesn't make the club out of camp.

How is an $885k contract a poison pill? If he were to be buried in the AHL he wouldn't count against their cap hit, he's paid too little. His one-way contract just means his pay doesn't scale down if he's not in the NHL. If Seattle were interested in him, this is probably the same deal they'd have signed him to anyway.

How is an $885k contract a poison pill? If he were to be buried in the AHL he wouldn't count against their cap hit, he's paid too little. His one-way contract just means his pay doesn't scale down if he's not in the NHL. If Seattle were interested in him, this is probably the same deal they'd have signed him to anyway.

I think what he's saying is that because it's a one-way deal, Howden is paid the same regardless of if he's in the NHL or AHL, so there's — I guess — some incentive not to take him if the intention was to end up stashing him in the AHL?

I think what he's saying is that because it's a one-way deal, Howden is paid the same regardless of if he's in the NHL or AHL, so there's — I guess — some incentive not to take him if the intention was to end up stashing him in the AHL?

Yup. His cap hit is zero if he hits the AHL, but he makes the full ticket.

Yup. His cap hit is zero if he hits the AHL, but he makes the full ticket.

But it could discourage Seattle from grabbing him. Extra 500k to put him in the AHL.

Rooney and Blackwell are both 1-way deals, too, btw. And I'd assume Seattle would think of those guys are everyday players over Howden.

But it could discourage Seattle from grabbing him. Extra 500k to put him in the AHL.

Rooney and Blackwell are both 1-way deals, too, btw. And I'd assume Seattle would think of those guys are everyday players over Howden.

Yes they are, and both cheaper in cap hit and in salary.

I realize I could be reading too much into it. Seattle probably isn't going to make a decision based on a few hundred k in salary paid if Howden didn't make the team, but it's still a bit of a "if you want him, you'll at least need to pay something for taking him" from the Rangers. In this case, it's guaranteed salary, and more salary than the other options.

At his age, as an RFA, and the lack of production, I would have suspected a two way deal instead of a one way, to be honest. Significantly lower salary, maybe $150k, if in the minors.