• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Predictions

Rep bet on who can get the most right? Any point in doing this until the draft rosters are locked in? I used https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle and the 'Quick Project' feature for who's being protected.

Rules: Need to have all requirements met around number of forwards, defensemen, goalies, 21-22 contracts, AND be within the salary cap.

unknown.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tweaked a few of the protects here:

Buffalo - Protect Girgensons

Calgary - Unprotect Lucic, Protect Backlund

Florida - Unprotect Wennberg and Wallmark, Protect Bennett

LA - Unprotect Carl Grundstrom (exposure requirement) and Christian Wolanin

NJD - Have zero forwards they'll willingly expose who meet the exposure requirement. Unprotected Andreas Johansson and protected Kuokkanen+Sharangovich to make this feel somewhat more realistic, but they need to add a contract or two.

NYI - Unprotected Palmieri

NYR - Protected Gauthier.

OTT - Protected Mete

SJ - Same as Devils, but you can see who they might actually expose. Unprotected Kane and Sorenson, protected Gambrell and Dahlen.

VAN - Protected Pearson and MacEwen, unprotected Virtanen

With that...

kraken1.png

I think this team can surprise a bit. You've got a tough, solid top 9 here, decent two-way center depth, a few potential boom-or-busts in Dal Colle, Borgstrom and Milano, building some decent youth depth, and a real solid top 6 (plus, probably Brandt Clarke). Goaltending will be solid, even though we totally did our Canucks rivals a huge favor in the process. Might flip Holtby for Kole Lind and flip Jacob Larsson for Adin Hill here, but either way, it probably doesnt matter.

I'm also 99% certain that Evander Kane gets protected since he apparently completely refound his form this year, but the Sharks have to get out of a contract and I think he's the best bet.

In between tasks at work I'm putting together a whole thing about not only who ends up where but who gets protected

thought for breakfast today though.

Caps seem to be VERY unhappy with Kuznetsov this season. Odds that they expose him, and let Seattle take him and his $7.8 Mil cap hit for nothing? One the one hand that is bad asset management. On the other, that is free cap space to, 1, pay Ovechkin the money he deserves, and 2, make some other big moves.

In between tasks at work I'm putting together a whole thing about not only who ends up where but who gets protected

thought for breakfast today though.

Caps seem to be VERY unhappy with Kuznetsov this season. Odds that they expose him, and let Seattle take him and his $7.8 Mil cap hit for nothing? One the one hand that is bad asset management. On the other, that is free cap space to, 1, pay Ovechkin the money he deserves, and 2, make some other big moves.

How's the coke in Seattle compared to DC?

XhxmtZb.png

qganu21.png

some scenarios i can see playing out to get us here

Minnesota uses their extra first round pick from Pittsburgh to make a deal to get Seattle to take Ryan Hartmann instead of Dumba

Edmonton trades a pick to get Seattle to take Neal's contract off their hands

ANH does the same to get them to take Henrique, who they waived earlier this year

Arizona trades a pick to ensure they DON'T take Adin Hill

I could also see the Islanders trading a pick to ensure some guys dont get taken but i didn't factor that in here.

Seattle takes 3 high ceiling goalies. One can become traidbait

I tweaked a few of the protects here:

Buffalo - Protect Girgensons

Calgary - Unprotect Lucic, Protect Backlund

Florida - Unprotect Wennberg and Wallmark, Protect Bennett

LA - Unprotect Carl Grundstrom (exposure requirement) and Christian Wolanin

NJD - Have zero forwards they'll willingly expose who meet the exposure requirement. Unprotected Andreas Johansson and protected Kuokkanen+Sharangovich to make this feel somewhat more realistic, but they need to add a contract or two.

NYI - Unprotected Palmieri

NYR - Protected Gauthier.

OTT - Protected Mete

SJ - Same as Devils, but you can see who they might actually expose. Unprotected Kane and Sorenson, protected Gambrell and Dahlen.

VAN - Protected Pearson and MacEwen, unprotected Virtanen

With that...

I think this team can surprise a bit. You've got a tough, solid top 9 here, decent two-way center depth, a few potential boom-or-busts in Dal Colle, Borgstrom and Milano, building some decent youth depth, and a real solid top 6 (plus, probably Brandt Clarke). Goaltending will be solid, even though we totally did our Canucks rivals a huge favor in the process. Might flip Holtby for Kole Lind and flip Jacob Larsson for Adin Hill here, but either way, it probably doesnt matter.

I'm also 99% certain that Evander Kane gets protected since he apparently completely refound his form this year, but the Sharks have to get out of a contract and I think he's the best bet.

I originally had Jake Bean in there, but considered a possibility that they trade something to Seattle to protect some of their young players they can't protect. I ended up saying CAR loses their young goalie, but I could definitely see the Canes getting raked over the coals a bit to keep Seattle from plundering a top quality young player or their goalie.

I originally had Jake Bean in there, but considered a possibility that they trade something to Seattle to protect some of their young players they can't protect. I ended up saying CAR loses their young goalie, but I could definitely see the Canes getting raked over the coals a bit to keep Seattle from plundering a top quality young player or their goalie.

Carolina has one of the most difficult expansion draft situations to navigate because they have like four players really worth taking that would truly be missed.

• Like 1

Illl tell you what, if the isles leave Matt Martin unprotected and he gets scooped. I’d be on the phone within a nanosecond about him as a real nice way to solve one problem and now with an extra grudge too

Not so sure he will be as effective with the like of Rooney and PDG as the guys he played with on the Islanders.

The lists above have various guys with various no trade clauses. I thought teams had to protect players with any such clauses unless the player waives them.

Not so sure he will be as effective with the like of Rooney and PDG as the guys he played with on the Islanders.

The lists above have various guys with various no trade clauses. I thought teams had to protect players with any such clauses unless the player waives them.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the No Movement Clauses are where you are forced to protect. Since you aren't technically trading guys to Seattle, they don't have to protect them and are able to be picked

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the No Movement Clauses are where you are forced to protect. Since you aren't technically trading guys to Seattle, they don't have to protect them and are able to be picked

That's my understanding also the Penguins asked Fleury to waive his NMC clause and he did.

• 1 month later...
They'll never take Howden....His breakfast tab is more than his fucking cap hit! :rofl:

I've seen a lot of predictions online taking DeAngelo.

I don't think they will as they can just sign him after the fact since he is obviously being bought out. I dont know why they would take Howden.

Gauthier IMO seems like the obvious choice in terms of future upside. However, if they want a more experienced guy then Blackwell/Rooney.

Not sure what goalies are on the market but I could see them taking Kinkaid. My money is on one of those 4 and there is no way to predict which one since their need is basically... everything.

I don't think they will as they can just sign him after the fact since he is obviously being bought out. I dont know why they would take Howden.

Gauthier IMO seems like the obvious choice in terms of future upside. However, if they want a more experienced guy then Blackwell/Rooney.

Not sure what goalies are on the market but I could see them taking Kinkaid. My money is on one of those 4 and there is no way to predict which one since their need is basically... everything.

Interesting about DeAngelo. They wouldn't be guaranteed to sign him, and they might have plenty of cap to work with to just assume the cap hit and see how he does for the year. For a franchise just starting, you have the option to snag a defenseman with the ability to be a perennial 60+ point guy. I can see the allure, and it's quite an interesting gamble, but at worst you're only losing the ability to take Howden or a journeyman like Blackwell. In terms of value anyway. You'd still have to worry about the SJWs putting pressure on the team to blackball him. We know there's plenty of those in Seattle.

I'd probably assume Rooney is the pick. He's a bona-fide competent 4c on a rock-bottom salary. Wings are more common in the draft pool and the kids are more gambles than anything.

I'd be over the moon if they took DeAngelo. He could use a fresh start and it'd save us the buyout, but I just don't see it happening.

Yes would make things for the rangers a lot easier. Maybe rangers can entice them to take him with a 3rd rounder or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dead cap hit is pennies. 384k next yr and 884k the following. I think a 3rd round pick is more valuable than that minute amount of cap