• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Surrendering Tying and Go-Ahead Goals

Sod16

OK. I just compiled the numbers.

11 times this year, we have surrendered third period tying goals.

6 of those have been in the final five minutes.

3 of those have been 6 on 5.

4 times we have surrendered go ahead goals in the last 10 minutes. 3 of those in the last 5.

• Like 1

Reminds me of Tom Coughlins “Prevent Defense”.

Only thing it prevented was a Giants win.

They take their foot off the gas. I complained season 1 that these guys aren’t learning to win and their not tough to play against. And I used to point out all of their blown leads. People don’t like hearing those things.

OK. I just compiled the numbers.

11 times this year, we have surrendered third period tying goals.

6 of those have been in the final five minutes.

3 of those have been 6 on 5.

4 times we have surrendered go ahead goals in the last minutes. 3 of those in the last 5.

Great stats. Brutal to read with my morning coffee.

Optimistically, things improve next year all the way around and that should put this team solidly in the playoffs and a contender barring a major injury to a star player.

Sounds like a team that is not getting sensible direction from their coach , or is getting such direction and ignoring it. Quinn says almost every post game he wants him to get to the net get shots on net. And yet game after game they play in the perimeter and especially so in the power-play. Had they gotten a third goal last night the game would probably have long been over. And instead we saw the usual prettiest pass competition instead of putting pucks on the net and bodies in front of the opposing goalie looking for rebounds.Panarin despite two goals(and it’s hard to bitch about a great player like him)Has the uncanny habit of trying to make a great play instead of simply making a sensible one. No idea what the hell he was trying to do on the Olufsen goal. He was also lucky because earlier in the third when He made a ridiculously stupid cross ice pass in the D zone that extended a buffalo offensive series. And is the PP geared only to line up the one timer from Zib. Could say wake the fuck up but it’s probably too late already.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sounds like a young team learning how to win. To be expected.

I don’t think the kids are out there giving up those late tying goals.

I could be wrong here, but my recollection is the last 3 at least were given up with the big guns on the ice trying to see out the game.

I don’t think the kids are out there giving up those late tying goals.

I could be wrong here, but my recollection is the last 3 at least were given up with the big guns on the ice trying to see out the game.

Maybe for forwards.

What about rookie Shesty and Miller, 2nd year Fox, 3rd year Lindgren?

Maybe for forwards.

What about rookie Shesty and Miller, 2nd year Fox, 3rd year Lindgren?

I guess. I still think playing the young team card when the guys out there is a combination of Zib/Kreider/Buch/Strome/Panarin/Trouba + a couple of younger players isn’t necessarily the right place to look.

I guess. I still think playing the young team card when the guys out there is a combination of Zib/Kreider/Buch/Strome/Panarin/Trouba + a couple of younger players isn’t necessarily the right place to look.
It's not about specific players. The entire team skews towards inexperienced and even the older players have never "won", aside from Kreider.

Before they gave up the tying goal yesterday, they were tight as a knot. They were far looser for the final three and half minutes after yielding the tying goal.

In any event, it's a habit we must break. The last time we were in the playoffs we were eliminated due to giving up three 6 on 5 tying goals in a preposterously short period.