• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

M.I.A. Zibanejad?

Keirik

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im so on the fence with Ziby. i'm afraid he's one good hit away from spending 6 months on IR with a concussion and our dreams crushed

Agreed. Scares me.

I mean.. you can say that about anyone though

Also agree but when it is someone with a history of concussions they come a lot easier subsequently.

Soooo we're most likely back to looking at something at least close to a max contract? At least a flat cap times max contract.

How about we compromise and give him 1/2 the max contract? It's what he deserves.

In his postgame comments, ZIb mentioned how they need to "be patient". If he really thinks that, the braintrust needs to seriously reevaluate this personnel, including him. NOBODY goes to the net against the big boy teams.They ALWAYS opt for ANOTHER pass when an accurate shot on net is the play. Instead they very patiently and deliberately pass pass pass the puck around the perimeter. playing for that perfect shot, gving the defense more of a chance to shut it down. That didn't work vs. the Canes last summer, it hasn't worked against the Isles, Bruins and Pens this season, and it will never work in the playoffs. Zib is tremendously talented, but this current approach is not winning anything. You'll have a few fun nights when they blow out lesser teams, but that's not getting anywhere close to a long playoff run.

It's tough.

I think in a playoff series against Toronto, or Florida, you're going to want the stuff Zibanejad and Panarin brings. It'll be at a premium. They can create offense at an elite level.

I just don't see how relying on bona fide perimeter darlings is going to work when push comes to shove. It's painful to watch how ineffective they can be against heavy traffic. Panarin just wasn't having any of it last night. Very disappointing.

When people wonder how the actual fuck Chicago just moved on from Panarin so easily, and that was really stupid, I can kind of follow their line of thinking.

It's tough.

I think in a playoff series against Toronto, or Florida, you're going to want the stuff Zibanejad and Panarin brings. It'll be at a premium. They can create offense at an elite level.

I just don't see how relying on bona fide perimeter darlings is going to work when push comes to shove. It's painful to watch how ineffective they can be against heavy traffic. Panarin just wasn't having any of it last night. Very disappointing.

When people wonder how the actual fuck Chicago just moved on from Panarin so easily, and that was really stupid, I can kind of follow their line of thinking.

panarin is just one guy. you can surround him with tougher linemates. Gretzky wasnt tough and he did fine

When do we start to worry? Pointless in his last 6 games for the first time since 17/18 season I believe. Face offs down, gets tons of looks on the pp, has been mostly a non factor, etc. This is a pretty big year for him, and for us to see what we commit to him after next season. Regardless of where we go this season, if this goes on for an extended period of time, we may be in a lot more trouble than we think. Good blip by Brooks today on it.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/02/rangers-showed-odd-affection-in-tony-deangelo-banishment/

Thoughts?

brooks the blowhard. Knows everything. Looks good on TV; get on the ice and try it, larry.

Yeah, I'm not advocating trading Panarin. Like you said, some diversity could go a long way.

It's going to be extremely hard to figure this out beyond some obvious moves on tne margins. Namely, getting rid of Chytil and one of the D men that are the size of my twelve year old.

Zibanejad may also eventually wind up being the Gartner of this group.

Yeah, I'm not advocating trading Panarin. Like you said, some diversity could go a long way.

It's going to be extremely hard to figure this out beyond some obvious moves on tne margins. Namely, getting rid of Chytil and one of the D men that are the size of my twelve year old.

Zibanejad may also eventually wind up being the Gartner of this group.

The issue is that you don't want to trade talent for "toughness". It's all about style. Put all the perimeter E/W players on a line together.

Panarin Zib Buch

Kreider Strome Kakko

Lafreniere CENTER Kravstov

4th line needs an identity, not a collection of players who didn't make top 9.

The issue is that you don't want to trade talent for "toughness". It's all about style. Put all the perimeter E/W players on a line together.

Panarin Zib Buch

Kreider Strome Kakko

Lafreniere CENTER Kravstov

4th line needs an identity, not a collection of players who didn't make top 9.

I’ve said it before. Too many looks also for the big guys on our team. Pk, pp, es all together basically with the same guys. Even just for the pure simple idea of keeping the big guys to have an extra jump to their step. Ziby and Strome specifically are top unit for pk and pp along with their top 6 minutes. It just can’t be that way for forward. They need some time to keep that jump in their step. Bottom 6 guys that can be trusted and fit grinder and pk roles just as so vital to wear down the opposition AND keep their own top 6 fresh sometimes.

How are Zib, Buch, Strome supposed to use speed or precision, or even just talent if they are exhausted from everything else?

I'm not looking for "toughness". I'm looking for guys that can skate, retrieve pucks, aren't afraid to play in the middle, and can play anywhere in the top 9.

Like I said, it's not easy. However, I feel Chytil's outlook is over blown. He lacks that last ounce of class that can tie together all the individual talents he possess. I'd rather keep Strome, and look for a different dynamic in the 3C.

The real tough choices are on the wings. It would be incredibly hard to part with any of Kakko, Buchnevich or Kravtsov, but it's like having three useful second basemen and no pitching. We have to turn what we have in spades in to something different.

I'm not looking for "toughness". I'm looking for guys that can skate, retrieve pucks, aren't afraid to play in the middle, and can play anywhere in the top 9.

Like I said, it's not easy. However, I feel Chytil's outlook is over blown. He lacks that last ounce of class that can tie together all the individual talents he possess. I'd rather keep Strome, and look for a different dynamic in the 3C.

The real tough choices are on the wings. It would be incredibly hard to part with any of Kakko, Buchnevich or Kravtsov, but it's like having three useful second basemen and no pitching. We have to turn what we have in spades in to something different.

Well that’s part of the problem too. The likely path would be to hope Buch signs for a good value deal then use him to obtain a different type of player. Kakko, Kravtsov, and even laf who I think he made himself more untouchable in recent weeks are also so cost controlled for now. I don’t see how you move on from them. I still don’t think Strome wows anyone else around the NHL. If you are moving on from Chytil then you are looking mostly at a package of Buch and Chytil for something meatier I guess. Outside of possibly a team looking to blow it up (Calgary), I don’t see how you get meatier from many other teams. And we know the only way to get meatier from Calgary would be Tkachuk which not only costs more but already has a 7m cap hit going into his last year. Not very realistic.

Maybe Ottawa’s Tkachuk? But it would take probably a top tier d prospect and a pick also and I don’t see them interested in Buch. Plus he’s an rfa. And positionally im not sure it fits either. Honestly, my target would be Tom Wilson even if it takes extra to wow them. They have a lot of long term contracts and only 9m in cap space. A few tough decisions are going to be made and a rw big tough guy is a lot more valuable to us than a Chytil, another pick, and a Lundkvist.

What a great analogy. All of these guys individually are good to very good players with great careers ahead of them. I'm always on board for drafting best available. Problem is that method can leave you with needs. You address those needs by trading from strength.

I'm not in on keeping both Zib and Strome though. Again both have tremendous skill but way to content in taking the path of least resistance. I'd rather keep Zib because he's obviously a better player but cap and trade interest might mean Zib is the guy who gets us what we need.

Is Barkov or Eichel available? PLD? If not can we sign a Krejci and trade Zib for a Tkachuck? I mean the front office will need to be creative but the roster needs a major overhaul.

I also understand that maybe it's too early to make these moves. I'm fine with that to but then the bottom 6 needs a big time beefing up just so the culture isn't allowing a young team to get pushed around with nobody pushing back. It matters. It's still a very physical game and being physical is as important as anything in terms of winning. I don't wan the kids learning the AV mantra of turning the other cheek.

Well that’s part of the problem too. The likely path would be to hope Buch signs for a good value deal then use him to obtain a different type of player. Kakko, Kravtsov, and even laf who I think he made himself more untouchable in recent weeks are also so cost controlled for now. I don’t see how you move on from them. I still don’t think Strome wows anyone else around the NHL. If you are moving on from Chytil then you are looking mostly at a package of Buch and Chytil for something meatier I guess. Outside of possibly a team looking to blow it up (Calgary), I don’t see how you get meatier from many other teams. And we know the only way to get meatier from Calgary would be Tkachuk which not only costs more but already has a 7m cap hit going into his last year. Not very realistic.

Maybe Ottawa’s Tkachuk? But it would take probably a top tier d prospect and a pick also and I don’t see them interested in Buch. Plus he’s an rfa. And positionally im not sure it fits either. Honestly, my target would be Tom Wilson even if it takes extra to wow them. They have a lot of long term contracts and only 9m in cap space. A few tough decisions are going to be made and a rw big tough guy is a lot more valuable to us than a Chytil, another pick, and a Lundkvist.

This guys being so cost controlled is why they carry such oversized value. Yes their potential and skill but any team in cap hell would do well to trade an established player, even Tkachuck for a reset in cap with a potential young star. The trade off is the Rangers would get one of toughest players in the league. An addition of Tkachuck would mean an additional move of Zib or Strome probably, maybe even for prospects or picks.(cap reasons) I guess the question is would you trade Kakko and one of our defense prospects for Tkachuck. Then trade zib or Strome for a package of draft picks and prospects and sign a Krecji or another UFA center?

It seems steep but that would address the diversity in the top 6 deficiency. Maybe even expand the trade to include Lindholm or Monahan with some money going the other way.

This guys being so cost controlled is why they carry such oversized value. Yes their potential and skill but any team in cap hell would do well to trade an established player, even Tkachuck for a reset in cap with a potential young star. The trade off is the Rangers would get one of toughest players in the league. An addition of Tkachuck would mean an additional move of Zib or Strome probably, maybe even for prospects or picks.(cap reasons) I guess the question is would you trade Kakko and one of our defense prospects for Tkachuck. Then trade zib or Strome for a package of draft picks and prospects and sign a Krecji or another UFA center?

It seems steep but that would address the diversity in the top 6 deficiency. Maybe even expand the trade to include Lindholm or Monahan with some money going the other way.

Position wise it’s a problem just because I think both of the Tkachuk are LWers and that’s where we are at our biggest log jam with Panarin, Alf, and Kreider. It’s a pipe dream to move Kreider and the other two aren’t going anywhere. If we want to address toughness with anyone impactful (meaning more than just a role player bottom 6) it has to be in center or RW positions, which really makes it tougher.